✟48,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Click bait!

Hey, a genuine query to my Roman brothers and sisters...

I've been studying through the official Catechism of the RCC again - a document that has much to commend it. I don't understand something. The Catechism appears to distinguish between Tradition and the Magesterium. So here's the question:

What's the difference between the Tradition and the Magesterium?

Thanks!

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Click bait!

I've been studying through the official Catechism of the RCC again - a document that has much to commend it. I don't understand something. The Catechism appears to distinguish between Tradition and the Magesterium. So here's the question:

Thanks!
Here's an entire article on just that subject in the Catholic Encyclopedia:
Tradition and Living Magisterium
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Tradition and Living Magisterium

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,742.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
It is my understanding the Magisterium is the institutions of the Church? That's what it sounds like to me.

Ecclessiology is probably the least worked-out area in all of theology for any Christian tradition.

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟573,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Thanks!
The sound bite definitions would be that Tradition is that which was passed down from Jesus to his disciples to their disciples, etc. The Magisterium is the teaching part of the Catholic Church, bishops and those working with them, that are entrusted with this Tradition to make sure it is not changed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My suggestion is you dont alienate the people you ask to answer, by telling them they cant - when the problem is your own misunderstanding.

You clearly dont understand tradition.

Tradition - "paradosis" - "handing down of faith" is a process not a doctrine, the process instituted by Christ. He gave us apostles , not a book , to hand on the faith. Which is why for example Paul says "stay true to tradition we taught you"
Because that is how the faith was passed on.

Scripture only came later. Much later.
And only as a result of the authority of the church in deciding the canon.

Till then, tradition, paradosis is more or less all that there was.
Scripture does not claim to contain all necessary truth

And the magisterium - the authority given by Christ as a power to "bind and loose"(which means pronounce on arguments on law and doctrine - that is what it meant to the audience of jews of the time)
given jointly to apostles, and individually to successors of Peter that is resolve conflict on doctrine is the process also found in councils.

Which is also noted in the fact that scriptre says "the foundation of truth is the church" - which is seen both in the ministry of the churhc to hand on the faith (paradosis, tradition) - and in inspired decisions of councils (the power to bind and loose) and the magisterium

Sola scripture is a myth that originates from the rformation - a true "man made tradition" if ever there was one. And is provable false in simple logic as well as history and scripture. So called "Bible christians" are a recent development in history. And the focus on "bible alone" without carrying the meaning by tradition or authority is why protestants disagree on every material aspect of doctrine.

Click bait!

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Click bait!

Thanks!

Actually, there are probably a hundred questions that Catholics can not answer and the one you posted may be the least of them all and I do not say that to disrespect you in any way my brother!

Here is a good one to ask.............
Where in the Bible is the ROSARY found and the directions of how it is to be done????

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi, Major. The issue with the rosary is not which sequence of prayers is to be used or how many times the Lord's Prayer is to be recited, but what supports the idea of 1) praying to the dead, even the Virgin Mary and 2) the special benefits that the church says are to be received from praying this particular configuration of prayers, as opposed to praying in any other way.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, Major. The issue with the rosary is not which sequence of prayers is to be used or how many times the Lord's Prayer is to be recited, but what supports the idea of 1) praying to the dead, even the Virgin Mary and 2) the special benefits that the church says are to be received from praying this particular configuration of prayers, as opposed to praying in any other way.

That is precisely my point brother. Not only is their no directions, the WORD itself is not found and in fact I do not know of anything that even appears as a "suggestion" of such a thing.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That is precisely my point brother. Not only is their no directions, the WORD itself is not found and in fact I do not know of anything that even appears as a "suggestion" of such a thing.
I must say that it does not at all appear to have been your point.

If the contraption, the rosary, is not described in the Bible, nor is the word *rosary* found there, that's not important. Neither are numerous other artifacts and customs that are harmless.

It's the USE to which such things are put that MAY conflict with the Bible.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Where in the Bible is the ROSARY found and the directions of how it is to be done????
Where in Scripture is an altar call and how it is to be done? Where in Scripture is a Sinner's prayer?

The Our Father is of course straight from Scripture, as is the first half of the Hail Mary:
Hail Mary full of grace, blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.

What is far more important is that the HEART of the rosary, the Mysteries that we are to meditate upon, are all straight from Scripture. For example, the Sorrowful Mysteries:
  1. The Agony in the Garden
  2. The Scourging at the Pillar
  3. The Crowning with Thorns
  4. The Carrying of the Cross
  5. The Crucifixion and Death

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What words of the Rosary are NOT found in the Bible? Only the words:

Mother of God -- logicallly understood since Jesus is God

Pray for us sinners now and the hour of our death -- understood that she prays for us just as any Christian might pray for us.

All the rest of it, the Our Father, the Hail Mary... All from Scripture.

NOPE. Where are the words........."PRAY THE ROSARY".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I must say that it does not at all appear to have been your point.

If the contraption, the rosary, is not described in the Bible, nor is the word *rosary* found there, that's not important. Neither are numerous other artifacts and customs that are harmless.

It's the USE to which such things are put that MAY conflict with the Bible.

Could it not be both, the word and the use?

Many if not most Catholic believers will argue that the "Implication of anything" is not proof that the thing exists and will insist that the literal WORD be found.

It is the same old argument of....the word Rapture is not in the Bible so then there is no such thing.
Same with the Trinity. No literal words, then it does not exist.

I just had a long discussion on another thread with a Catholic believer who insists that because the literal words..."Faith Alone" are not found in the Bible then there can be no doctrine based on the "Implication" of that said doctrine.

That is why I was saying the word "Rosary" is not found in the Bible but all Catholics pray it, but then turn around and denounce that we are saved by "Faith Alone" and not works least you brag about it.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Catholics have answered them all.

Your problem is sola scriptura is false.
Actually, there are probably a hundred questions that Catholics can not answer and the one you posted may be the least of them all and I do not say that to disrespect you in any way my brother!

Here is a good one to ask.............

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Neither are numerous other artifacts and customs that are harmless.
Naught.
Everything, every action is either for Jesus, or against Jesus (every person too).
The source and motive is part and parcel with everything - "of the world" or of GOD, no in between.

He says clearly whoever loves the things of the world (the customs of nations, of mankind, the objects of their adoration or envy or desire)
CANNOT (no way, impossible) BE a friend of Yahweh.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Where in Scripture is an altar call and how it is to be done? Where in Scripture is a Sinner's prayer?

The Our Father is of course straight from Scripture, as is the first half of the Hail Mary:
Hail Mary full of grace, blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.

What is far more important is that the HEART of the rosary, the Mysteries that we are to meditate upon, are all straight from Scripture. For example, the Sorrowful Mysteries:
  1. The Agony in the Garden
  2. The Scourging at the Pillar
  3. The Crowning with Thorns
  4. The Carrying of the Cross
  5. The Crucifixion and Death

There is no "Alter Call" in the Scriptures that I know of. If my memory is correct I believe that can be placed on Charles Finney in the early 1800's.
You are using that under the assumption that ALL Protestant churches do it and that just is not the case.

The prayer for salvation is found in Romans 10:9 sister.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.