Catholic's, at what point does it become the body? (2)

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Scripture only says that Christ's body and blood are indeed present in the Sacrament.
We have to be able to worship Jesus in his presence in the consecrated bread and wine. So, therefore, we have to know when he inhabits them.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We have to be able to worship Jesus in his presence in the consecrated bread and wine. So, therefore, we have to know when he inhabits them.
I think "have to" is too strong of a statement here. We have the opportunity to worship Jesus in his presence in the Supper. We "get to" do it, not "have to". The Supper is Gospel, not Law.

In my Lutheran tradition, we show honor and reverence to the altar and the elements by bowing and kneeling and by blessing ourselves with the holy cross during the words of institution and after receiving the elements. I would not have a problem with someone saying I was worshiping the consecrated elements as my Lord is truly present for me in them according to scripture, forgiving my sins and giving me eternal life through the power of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

If someone chose not to bow, kneel, cross themselves, or otherwise worship the presence of Our Lord in a traditional way - yet believed that he was indeed truly present - they would receive the same forgiveness of sins as the most traditionally observant worshiper.

Trying to categorically and objectively state, within the context of the entire service of the Sacrament, that in one second or split second He is present and in another second or split second He is not seems to me rather silly and an overly Law-orientated view of the Sacrament which completely misses the point of why Our Lord is present in the Supper in the first place.

He is not there to be worshiped, although we may rightly do so. He is there to give us the forgiveness of our sins.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On the Orthodox side of things, while we also believe that the bread and wine are the body and blood of Christ, we do not do Eucharistic adoration. We believe that it is simply to be consumed. As such, by the time it is consumed, all the prayers have been said, and so knowing the exact point at which the change occurs is largely irrelavent.

Reactions: Tayla
Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
On the Orthodox side of things, while we also believe that the bread and wine are the body and blood of Christ, we do not do Eucharistic adoration. We believe that it is simply to be consumed. As such, by the time it is consumed, all the prayers have been said, and so knowing the exact point at which the change occurs is largely irrelavent.
Yes, I prefer the Orthodox view in that Christ is present in the context of the liturgical celebration of the Eucharist and in the group sharing in the meal. Trying to identify a moment in time seems too "western" and scientific.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
RCC doctrine of transubstantiation is false.

Why "sacrifice" Jesus at communion?

Hebrews 7:27 (NASB)
who does not need daily, like those high priests, to offer up sacrifices,
first for His own sins and then for the sins of the people,
because this He did once for all when He offered up Himself.

1 Peter 3:18
For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust,
so that He might bring us to God,
having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;

Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
PLEASE DEFINE:
1. Christ Body and
2 Blood Soul and
3 Divinity
somewhere within the
4. Epiclesis and the
5. words of consecration.

Ok Sure Good question. The bread and wine's substance change from bread and wine into the substance of Christ himself somewhere within the Epiclesis(A prayer that calls down the Holy Spirit or epicletic action of the priest). The words of consecration are "This is my Body, This is my blood". Western Catholics hold that the words of consecration transform the elements as the priest acts in persona Christi and Christ Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit transforms the elements through the priestly actions. At least one Eastern Catholic church does not even use the words of consecration but just the epiclesis and hold that at that prayer the transformation happens. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,832.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
For me, too much Sacred Tradition + Papal Magisterium and lack of Scriptural support.
John 6 is a metaphor!
If Christ was speaking literally of the Eucharist or not, it certainly points to it.

Reactions: Athanasias
Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For me, too much Sacred Tradition + Papal Magisterium and lack of Scriptural support.
John 6 is a metaphor!
Well yeah I mean I know you do not think it is real that is why your a non-denominational Christian and not one of the apostolic Christian Churches. We should talk about Jn 6 though because I feel there is a whole lot that points to this not being symbolic or metaphoric in context. Would you like to go verse by verse in Jn 6 and look at this? It seems odd to me to that all the early Church and martyrs taught this including those like St. Ignatius of Antioch who was a disciple of the apostles John himself. How would you explain that? Did all the early Christians get it wrong?

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,832.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Q: Did all the early Christians get it wrong?

A: All spiritual interpretations contrary to those of God the Holy Spirit and that of Scripture are in error.

Even when we let Scripture interpret Scripture, and let Scripture take context from Scripture; we are still left with the real presence in the Eucharist. At which point it becomes the body and blood are irrelevant; as Luther said "it is what it is".

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,832.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Ok Sure Good question. The bread and wine's substance change from bread and wine into the substance of Christ himself somewhere within the Epiclesis(A prayer that calls down the Holy Spirit or epicletic action of the priest). The words of consecration are "This is my Body, This is my blood". Western Catholics hold that the words of consecration transform the elements as the priest acts in persona Christi and Christ Jesus by the power of the Holy Spirit transforms the elements through the priestly actions. At least one Eastern Catholic church does not even use the words of consecration but just the epiclesis and hold that at that prayer the transformation happens. I hope this helps.

The Verba, the Words of institution, are key; Scripture reiterates this; although drawn and compiled from Scripture the Epiclesis is not part of the formula given to the Church. The Epiclesis itself implies that the onus is on the Priest whereas, it is God, regardless of who the celebrant is, that is responsible for the Eucharistic miracle.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Verba, the Words of institution, are key; Scripture reiterates this; although drawn and compiled from Scripture the Epiclesis is not part of the formula given to the Church. The Epiclesis itself implies that the onus is on the Priest whereas, it is God, regardless of who the celebrant is, that is responsible for the Eucharistic miracle.
Thanks Mark for this info. Yeah Western Catholics agree with our lutheran brothers that it is the verba or words of consecration that transforms the Eucharist. This is the majority position historically and theologically. Your right on the fact that it is God who does the miracle through the ministry of the priest. We view it that way as well. The Eastern catholics also view it that way. I forgot which eastern Church does not use the words of consecration but there is one that just uses the epiclesis and I remember in grad school our sacramental theology professor was telling us about it. So its debated(at least in one Eastern Church in union with rome) when the change actually happens. But the east still sees it as God doing the transformation through the ministry of the priest in persona Christi even in the epiclesis. At the epiclesis the Holy Spirit is called down to do the work. I hope that helps. Its always good to talk to you!

Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Q: Did all the early Christians get it wrong?

A: All spiritual interpretations contrary to those of God the Holy Spirit and that of Scripture are in error.
Well how could God let every major Christian martyr and father/preacher for the first 1500 year be absolutely wrong on this understanding of scripture?

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,832.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0