Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In response, I recommend the following to readers:

Monergism search results: Catholic

Articles by William Webster on Roman Catholicism

Roman Catholic Salvation and Justification

"There are similar statements made by the Bishops of Rome in their decrees on Mary, as well as numerous anathemas which have accompanied the doctrinal promulgations of Trent and Vatican I on the sacraments and the papacy on papal rule and infallibility. According to Rome, all these dogmas must be believed and embraced for salvation. But where are these teachings found in scripture? Where are we told that it is necessary to believe in the assumption of Mary or papal infallibility in order to experience salvation? Such teachings not only are absent from scripture, but from the teaching of the Church historically. Not one of these doctrines was taught in the early Church.

From a Roman Catholic perspective, the concept of saving faith is far removed from the biblical teaching of commitment to and simple trust in Christ alone for salvation. The Roman Catholic Church has distorted the gospel of grace. It has fallen into the same Galatian error of legalism (a sacerdotal/sacramental/works salvation) addressed by Paul in his letter to the Galatian Churches. In that letter Paul dealt with the heresy of the Judaizers, who attempted to add the Jewish ceremonial law to faith in Christ as a basis for salvation. Temple worship and the ceremonial law included circumcision, an altar, daily sacrifices, a laver of water, priests, a high priest, special priestly and high priestly vestments and robes, candles, incense and shewbread. In the routine religious life of the average Jew there were feast days, prayers, fasts, adherence to the tradition of the elders and certain dietary restrictions. All of these things were included in the Judaizers’ teaching on salvation. So it was Jesus plus the Jewish system. How does this relate to Roman Catholicism? The doctrines of salvation embraced by Rome are, in principle, identical to the Judaizers. The Roman Church teaches that salvation is achieved by believing that Jesus is the Son of God who died for sin, by being baptized, by being a part of the Roman Catholic Church, by striving to keep the Ten Commandments and partaking of the sacramental system (which involves ongoing sacrifices, altars, priests, a high priest, along with the exercises of prayers, fasts, almsgiving, penances and until recently adherence to certain dietary regulations).

The Roman Catholic teaching on salvation is essentially the same as that preached by the Judaizers. Paul warned the Galatian believers that if they embraced this false gospel they would actually desert Christ (Gal. 1:6). Those evangelicals who would promote spiritual cohabitation with the Church of Rome need to heed to the warning of Paul. He saw no basis for unity with the Judaizers even though they professed faith in Christ. Likewise, there is no basis for unity with the Church of Rome today. If evangelicals jettison the Reformation gospel distinctives for so called unity with Rome they will deny Christ." - William Webster a former Catholic

Can I answer to your post? if not here, Where?

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am perplexed by this thread. I come occasionally to this board as a former Presbyterian with zero intent to belittle or detract from the Presbyterian faith, even as I occasionally go to the OBOB forum. I do find some of the threads enlightening and helpful in my understanding of the various strands of Presbyterian and Catholic thought.

I don't believe any of us have intended to belittle the Presbyterian faith nor have we actually done so. I have always personally had a lot of respect for Presbyterianism because the local PCUSA church has been a quality community of Christians who have done a lot of good in my town. There's just been instances when the CR rules have been used as a shield while making inaccurate statements about another faith. But I suppose until further notice it's their right to do so.

Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can I answer to your post? if not here, Where?
You can quote the post in another thread, or post a link to oit for reference, where general theological discussion takes place.

Upvote 0
Dec 14, 2010
San Juan del Río
✟26,797.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟555,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Again, please review the rules of this forum and not seek to debate or bait others against the rules.

I will not seek to debate, however, I do find it odd that there is a section in this website forum where totally false ideas can be posted about someone's faith and there is not allowed a rebuttal.

And I was indeed just making a comment. We think you are wrong too. So there!

Upvote 0
Jun 23, 2013
Canada
✟15,160.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi! Original Poster here, and wow, I'm surprised how quickly this DID turn into a debate (despite people claiming it didn't). Big thanks to AMR for trying to keep this a safe place, even though it seems like a lot of people didn't listen.

I've gotten over my yearning to "go back" to the Catholic church. Yes, I have good memories there, but it's not enough to go back to a faith that I believe to be theologically flawed. Now, I'm not saying Catholics won't be saved -- some will, some won't, just like Presbyterians, like everyone. But it's not for me. It's not where I find Christ easily.

I'm still attending the Presbyterian church, but sadly our minister moved away and we likely won't find another one for a few years (we are pretty Northern and isolated, it took the church three years to find the last one!). And we might be moving soon. But I definitely feel comfortable in the church. However, I still have some lingering questions about predestination (and if any Presbyterian who really knows their stuff can explain it to me in a private message, I'd really love it! My Rev. was from Korea and spoke with a bit of an accent and I never got a clear understanding of it from him).

Does anyone know how the Presbyterian Church in Canada feels about abortion and homosexuality? I feel like I definitely do NOT support abortion (but I think we need to love and help those who have chosen that way -- help them heal, not help them get an abortion) and I'm not really sure yet how I feel about homosexuality. But I definitely don't want to be part of a church that is like, abortion's fine, gay people can be ordained, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
However, I still have some lingering questions about predestination (and if any Presbyterian who really knows their stuff can explain it to me in a private message, I'd really love it! My Rev. was from Korea and spoke with a bit of an accent and I never got a clear understanding of it from him).

I’d be willing to. But the PC Canada is a bit flexible on predestination. Here’s what they say:

Question 54. What is predestination?
Predestination is God’s decision from eternity to move savingly towards us in Jesus Christ in whom and by whom we are chosen. As such, it is gospel, good news. We are chosen for a purpose, to be like Christ and to serve God. (Romans 8:29)

Question 55. Are those who do not believe, then not chosen?
Though we know that there are some who do not believe and who reject God, God’s love continues to invite them to faith. God wills the salvation of all and excludes no one from the reach of his love.

As I read it, this is not the classic Presbyterian position on predestination. It continues to maintain the primacy of God’s grace, but also says that God loves everyone and wants all to be saved.

Does anyone know how the Presbyterian Church in Canada feels about abortion and homosexuality? I feel like I definitely do NOT support abortion (but I think we need to love and help those who have chosen that way -- help them heal, not help them get an abortion) and I'm not really sure yet how I feel about homosexuality. But I definitely don't want to be part of a church that is like, abortion's fine, gay people can be ordained, etc.

They are opposed to abortion except in very unusual situations, and will not ordain active homosexuals.

Upvote 0