Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello!

I have some Catholicism questions…

Basically: I’ve decided that I want to convert to Catholicism (from Protestantism)

I’ve followed a Catholic friend’s advice and made my first steps by starting to attend evening mass at my local church (with my Catholic friend) and have spoken with the priest; he helped me with a private spiritual matter and was very helpful indeed

But I feel somewhat overwhelmed by it all

For instance, the prayers – the Hail Mary and Hail Holy Queen – I know these are important but can’t find a source online that clearly shows the correct words? How many prayers do Catholics need to learn? Because I only know the Lord’s Prayer...

And I have only a poor understanding of the Rosaries but apparently not all Catholics use these? How important are they?

Also, at mass when the priest says something everyone else who is there responds (especially at the start of the mass), but it’s not clear to me what the response should be as it’s not written down anywhere – so I feel a bit silly - my question: is there some kind of order of service available that has written down everything the priest says and everything the worshippers respond with?

So, basically, I feel overwhelmed by it all but it all feels right all the same and it hasn't damaged my enthusiasm at all - I like a challenge, and I think some mountains are worth climbing and am certainly having a good time at the foot-hills of this one!

My main question is this: once I begin my induction into Catholicism will all this be explained?

Also, is there any online resource/s I may find helpful?

Thanks for any replies :)

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The prayers you mention are devotional exercises. You may pray them or not pray them as you see fit.

I am also a convert so I understand how overwhelming it can be at times. So don’t try to take it all in at once. Go slow with it.

I somewhat struggle with my Marian devotion. I love Our Lady but I don’t have the strongest devotion to her. It’s okay. She wants to help bring us closer to her Son as that is her function. Don’t try to force anything upon yourself.

Just. Go. Slow.

Upvote 0

nopq

May 21, 2019
England
✟34,246.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The prayers you mention are devotional exercises. You may pray them or not pray them as you see fit.

I am also a convert so I understand how overwhelming it can be at times. So don’t try to take it all in at once. Go slow with it.

I somewhat struggle with my Marian devotion. I love Our Lady but I don’t have the strongest devotion to her. It’s okay. She wants to help bring us closer to her Son as that is her function. Don’t try to force anything upon yourself.

Just. Go. Slow.
Yes, thank you, I have made a conscious decision to go slow with it all

But I can't help but feel a sense of urgency - as well as a sense of being overwhelmed!

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't know the other one, but here's the Hail Mary, courtesy of ETWN (Catholic TV channel based in the United States):

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello!

Basically: I’ve decided that I want to convert to Catholicism (from Protestantism)

I’ve followed a Catholic friend’s advice and made my first steps by starting to attend evening mass at my local church (with my Catholic friend) and have spoken with the priest; he helped me with a private spiritual matter and was very helpful indeed

For instance, the prayers – the Hail Mary and Hail Holy Queen – I know these are important but can’t find a source online that clearly shows the correct words? How many prayers do Catholics need to learn? Because I only know the Lord’s Prayer...

And I have only a poor understanding of the Rosaries but apparently not all Catholics use these? How important are they?

Also, at mass when the priest says something everyone else who is there responds (especially at the start of the mass), but it’s not clear to me what the response should be as it’s not written down anywhere – so I feel a bit silly - my question: is there some kind of order of service available that has written down everything the priest says and everything the worshippers respond with?

So, basically, I feel overwhelmed by it all but it all feels right all the same and it hasn't damaged my enthusiasm at all - I like a challenge, and I think some mountains are worth climbing and am certainly having a good time at the foot-hills of this one!

My main question is this: once I begin my induction into Catholicism will all this be explained?

Don't worry about taking all of that on immediately, you'll kind of discover in time that there's a rhythm and a flow to how these things are incorporated into our lives.

The best starting point is simply to attend Mass and go from there. Your priest can help guide you.

All of these things are important, but don't rush yourself.

*As an aside, the Missal often has some of the more prominent prayers printed on the back cover like the Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel, for example.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It's the same responses at every mass, before you know it you will just say them like everyone else does and you will be part of the murmur. Christianity is much deeper than a few responses in a service, meanwhile if you miss one or two, well you missed it. No judgement for that, at least not from God.

Reactions: nopq
Upvote 0

nopq

May 21, 2019
England
✟34,246.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's the same responses at every mass, before you know it you will just say them like everyone else does and you will be part of the murmur. Christianity is much deeper than a few responses in a service, meanwhile if you miss one or two, well you missed it. No judgement for that, at least not from God.
I didn't realise it was the same at each mass, I thought it somehow varied, that makes things much easier, thanks for your reply

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I didn't realise it was the same at each mass, I thought it somehow varied, that makes things much easier, thanks for your reply
Ya your daily masses are the same. You may find some variation in specific services, say a funeral for instance. You'll catch on soon enough.

Upvote 0

TheOldWays

Candidate
May 28, 2014
✟125,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Honestly don't overthink it. Just go with the flow. No one cares if you don't respond right at mass. The more you go to mass, the more you get the hang of it. Also, get your hands on a missal as that will help you follow along with the mass.

And don't worry about learning prayers. That will all come with time. I only ever really say three prayers myself. Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be.

Good luck on your journey!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Welcome.
I too came in from outside.
Any questions please do ask.

On general catholic matters
RCIA gives a good background. Reading the catechism online is useful
But to have some fun, listen to videos by such as steve ray or Scott Hahn. Journey home series is instructive. There’s a world of writings now open in the writings of saints and doctors.

Some writings of early fathers are worth studying too.. see for example in ignatius to smyrneans , how even the disciples of John the apostle refer to Eucharist it real presence valid only if performed by appointee of a bishop in succession.

For sure a handful of prayers are useful to rote learn, the Gloria , hail holy queen , Hail Mary and so on. The treatises on the rosary by such as Sr Lucia of Fatima are worth reading.

A surprise for those who come in from outside is the amount of scriptural reinforcement there is for doctrine.

For example, why do we call Mary “queen” and assume she can intercede? Answer - it is scriptural. All the way from annunciation, Jesus did all he could to align as a davidic king. For example riding a donkey as Solomon had done. He did so knowing Jews would look for meaning there.

But in that era mother ( not spouse) of a davidic king was called queen , Jesus kingdom is heaven so we call her queen of heaven ( honorary) and we see Solomon “ gave her a throne , bowed and said he would do all she asked” which we see fulfilled at Cana where Jesus did what she asked but said “ not yet” what have you to do with me now, my time has not yet come” . His time has now come,

Anyway, welcome. Do ask!

Hello!

Upvote 0