Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Over the past couple of years I've noticed how the brand of Catholicism can have it's own unique expressions depending on the geographic region. This goes beyond liturgy too, but in daily practices as well.

For example, I attended a Mass last year in Martinsburg, WV and there was a certain part of the Mass that all the parishioners stayed standing when most Catholics kneel. It totally threw off my friends and I because we were headed for the kneelers and realized nobody else was so we stood back up. My friend whose cabin we had been staying at told me he's experienced this before and even written the bishop of Wheeling-Charleston about it, apparently it's a phenomenon unique to West Virginia that he can't seem to put a stop to.

In a different vein, I've been observing Catholics in New York now for a few months and between that and the Catholics from there I've known for a couple years now I've noticed an odd duality: they can be both very pious and yet downplay a lot of important aspects of the faith. @Chrystal-J's thread about fasting before Mass got me thinking about this one because all of the NY Catholics I know shrug off fasting before Mass like it's no big deal to follow that (except the trads). They also have a somewhat lackadaisical attitude about Confession. I've been away for a couple weeks and here at home in CA I tried to go to Confession. I waited over an hour but the line was about 25+ people long and time ran out before I could get in. Afterwards I told my wife on the phone and she was just like "oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be." and I'm thinking (sardonically) "Well if I get smacked by a Mack truck on my way home then I'm quite literally going to hell, so if my receiving the sacrament of confession wasn't meant to be then that sucks."

What are some observations you've made in this regard?

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟95,133.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
May I ask a question about Advent Crowns here?
Have you ever heard about any strict Catholic regulations about which colour the candles should have?
In case you have got an Advent Crown?

Traditionally in our region those candles are red.
But they also may have other colours, according to taste.

I have never heard about any regulations in this field.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,646,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Over the past couple of years I've noticed how the brand of Catholicism can have it's own unique expressions depending on the geographic region. This goes beyond liturgy too, but in daily practices as well.

For example, I attended a Mass last year in Martinsburg, WV and there was a certain part of the Mass that all the parishioners stayed standing when most Catholics kneel. It totally threw off my friends and I because we were headed for the kneelers and realized nobody else was so we stood back up. My friend whose cabin we had been staying at told me he's experienced this before and even written the bishop of Wheeling-Charleston about it, apparently it's a phenomenon unique to West Virginia that he can't seem to put a stop to.

In a different vein, I've been observing Catholics in New York now for a few months and between that and the Catholics from there I've known for a couple years now I've noticed an odd duality: they can be both very pious and yet downplay a lot of important aspects of the faith. @Chrystal-J's thread about fasting before Mass got me thinking about this one because all of the NY Catholics I know shrug off fasting before Mass like it's no big deal to follow that (except the trads). They also have a somewhat lackadaisical attitude about Confession. I've been away for a couple weeks and here at home in CA I tried to go to Confession. I waited over an hour but the line was about 25+ people long and time ran out before I could get in. Afterwards I told my wife on the phone and she was just like "oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be." and I'm thinking (sardonically) "Well if I get smacked by a Mack truck on my way home then I'm quite literally going to hell, so if my receiving the sacrament of confession wasn't meant to be then that sucks."

What are some observations you've made in this regard?
Confession seems busier during the holidays here. Now during the week, it just seems a smattering of people. But people come and go and I do not stay the whole time to watch. As far as time ran out before you can get in, I’m surprised. Usually a priest will stay if more are in line unless he has another engagement to fill or call in the assistant priest to fill in.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Confession seems busier during the holidays here. Now during the week, it just seems a smattering of people. But people come and go and I do not stay the whole time to watch. As far as time ran out before you can get in, I’m surprised. Usually a priest will stay if more are in line unless he has another engagement to fill or call in the assistant priest to fill in.
He had to go do the Vigil Mass, so I understood. I was disappointed but he actually went like 15-20 minutes over, so thanks be to God for that generosity. This week we had both priests and two lines with about the same amount of (total) penitents, but they finished up more quickly. It's just sad that my parish used to have confession six days a week and now it's just Saturdays, but most parishes in the US have experienced that so I have no right to complain.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,646,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He had to go do the Vigil Mass, so I understood. I was disappointed but he actually went like 15-20 minutes over, so thanks be to God for that generosity. This week we had both priests and two lines with about the same amount of (total) penitents, but they finished up more quickly. It's just sad that my parish used to have confession six days a week and now it's just Saturdays, but most parishes in the US have experienced that so I have no right to complain.
Yeah it’s mostly Confession on Saturdays almost everywhere. Occasionally my parish will call in priests from surrounding areas and call them into the parish. There will be a short service and they disperse to different areas of the Church and various lines are formed throughout the Church. It’s more laid back and they all stay till everyone has had their confession time.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah it’s mostly Confession on Saturdays almost everywhere. Occasionally my parish will call in priests from surrounding areas and call them into the parish. There will be a short service and they disperse to different areas of the Church and various lines are formed throughout the Church. It’s more laid back and they all stay till everyone has had their confession time.
Ah like a penitential service? I enjoy those, usually I only see them during Lent but I love it when we have 4-5 priests available for confession and there are so many lining up to take advantage of it.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,646,169.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ah like a penitential service? I enjoy those, usually I only see them during Lent but I love it when we have 4-5 priests available for confession and there are so many lining up to take advantage of it.
Yes. We usually have about 2 per year.

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0