• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Catholic vs. Protestant Christianity

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by HRDJ, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Phil 1:21

Phil 1:21 Well-Known Member

+4,329
    Christian
    Married
    [​IMG]

• Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. FenderTL5

FenderTL5 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,598
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Yes really and subsequent posts in the thread discuss the particulars.
    The basic is this, days are/were counted from sunset to sunset. So before sunrise, while it is still dark is INDEED the next day - still early but for several hours it has been the next day already.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  3. JacksBratt

JacksBratt Searching for Truth

+3,617
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    Huh.....How do you know if "you're in"?

Also, this would mean, Twins... one a rebel, drinker, thief, gambler, liar, violent... The other a repentant soul living for Christ, saved by the method that I presented.....

Yet they could both be "in" if God said to both "you're in"?

I find that very difficult to believe.

4. JacksBratt

JacksBratt Searching for Truth

+3,617
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    Days were but Night is part of the day... Three days... three nights.....

Again. Why the stubbornness.... it has been described very well that Christ was removed from the Cross before the Sabbath.... an annual Sabbath and rose after the weekly Sabbath...It is perfect logistics with no stretch or compression of time...

Taken down just before the setting sun and beginning of a weekly Sabbath and rising before the sun rose after this weekly Sabbath, while calling it three days and three nights, is time gymnastics.

In the previous scenario used as a comparison...

If I paid for three days and three nights in a posh all inclusive resort.. and they landed me Friday, just before sundown and I was wheels up, on my way home before sunrise Sunday....... I would be a tad miffed.

But,,, it's your money.

5. FenderTL5

+3,598
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Well, I'm not going to rehash the annual arguments here. In the USA days are counted 'midnight to midnight' based on a solar calendar. We (Americans in general) do not count days like ancient culture.

6. Vicomte13

Vicomte13 Well-Known Member

+1,776
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    According to Tradition.

7. OrthodoxyUSA

OrthodoxyUSA Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    But wait... he doesn't follow traditions. ^_^

Forgive me...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Vicomte13

+1,776
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Yep. They could both be "in" if God said to both "You're in."

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  9. Phil 1:21

+4,329
    Christian
    Married
  10. Vicomte13

+1,776
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
  11. Phil 1:21

+4,329
    Christian
    Married
    Tradition (just kidding).

The context of Luke's writing sort of confirms him being the physician.

12. FenderTL5

+3,598
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    how do you know what Luke wrote?

13. Vicomte13

+1,776
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    No, you were right. Luke never signed anything he wrote as "Luke". It's Tradition that assigns the third Gospel to Luke. And then tradition that assigns the role of "doctor" to Luke.

There's nothing in the Gospel of Luke that says that its author was a doctor.

In fact, it's Tradition - just tradition - that tells us that Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, respectively, wrote the various Gospels. Paul only named himself as the author in a couple of the letters. The other letters are ascribed to their authors by Tradition.

Tradition tells us that Peter was crucified head down.

Tradition tells us THAT the Apostles were killed, and how. Acts tells us of the death of James, but the deaths of the others are not in Scripture.

Virtually everything that we "know" about the early Church comes from Tradition.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Root of Jesse

Root of Jesse Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord Supporter CF Ambassadors

+3,194
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Why? Luther's act of nailing his Theses to the door only said "I don't think the Church is reforming fast enough." It was a personal act of will. And it was wrong. The Church was in the act of reforming, even as she is today, and has always been, and will always be.

15. Root of Jesse

+3,194
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Luke wasn't an apostle, he was an evangelist.

16. Root of Jesse

+3,194
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    It is also Tradition that Matthew wrote first, in Hebrew to the Hebrew Christians in Jerusalem, Mark wrote second to the the Roman Christians, Luke wrote third to Theophilus and John wrote last to Asia Minor.

17. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Matthew was rewritten in Greek by the students of the school of Antioch and Alexandria.
    And was distributed with an Icon of the Theotokos and Child.

Tradition.

Forgive me...

18. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Righteous Joseph was 110 at his death and Christ wept bitterly.

Tradition.

Forgive me...

19. Vicomte13

+1,776
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    It's tradition that Peter went to Rome. It's tradition that Paul was beheaded outside of Rome. It's Tradition that the Revelation was written by the same John as wrote the Gospel...and it's Tradition that "the Apostle Jesus loved" was John.

20. amariselle

amariselle Jesus Never Fails

+4,132
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    Actually, I think Luther's act of nailing his Theses to the door said (and quite rightly so) "I believe it is absolutely despicable and abhorrent that the Church is claiming it can sell salvation to people. It cannot and is in fact doing something utterly reprehensible and abominable before God. Making merchandise of people." I agree with what Luther did and why, though I don't agree with him on everything.

If you think he was wrong to take the stand he did, I would have to wonder why. All those people who were being lied to in the very worst way imaginable, by a corrupt Church that claimed to have the ultimate authority to save souls, authority it did not have, and thereby claiming it could sell people tickets to Heaven for themselves or loved ones. Disgusting.

As for the idea that the Church was reforming so why should Luther have bothered, I dare say you wouldn't be able to give that explanation satisfactorily to all the thousands of poor souls who were sold a lie by Rome. There is no adequate explanation or justification for this and there never will be.

Complacency is one of the most dangerous weapons satan can use, causing people to stand aside and do nothing when so much evil is being perpetrated.