Jul 5, 2014
✟570,626.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You can believe whatever the church of your choice tells you to believe, but the answer to your theory has been explained on these forums more than once. Perhaps the easiest thing for you to do would be to look up some of those threads.
Not sure who this is in response to. If it is me, I would just like to, politely, say that I will trust the sources available on the internet, that are written by educated theologians, over anyone on this forum...

No offense, but I have seen some pretty wild arguments on this site that just blew my mind.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am familiar with the doctrinal position of most Christian churches, that's right, and although there are a couple that wouldn't qualify, almost every one would agree that the Lord's Supper is a commemoration, whether or not they also believe that it is something else in addition.
So all 36000? We don't believe it's a commemoration. We believe it is the one and only event.

I've seen your knowledge of Catholicism, so don't know that I would trust your understanding of the doctrinal position of most Christian Churches.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Not sure who this is in response to. If it is me, I would just like to, politely, say that I will trust the sources available on the internet, that are written by educated theologians, over anyone on this forum...

No offense, but I have seen some pretty wild arguments on this site that just blew my mind.
No offense, but the apostles were not educated theologians. The Holy Spirit guided them into all Truth, as Christ promised them.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No offense, but the apostles were not educated theologians. The Holy Spirit guided them into all Truth, as Christ promised them.

"Blessed art Thou, O Christ our God, Who hast revealed the fishermen as most wise by sending down
upon them the Holy Spirit - through them Thou didst draw the world into Thy net. O Lover of Man, glory
to Thee!"

Forgive me...

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

I agree with you about some of the claims and charges that appear on this site regularly.

But all I was saying to you was that it isn't as though there's no rejoinder to the issues you raised concerning the crucifixion and the resurrection. And it is not as though Christianity has not addressed the concerns you posted.

But neither do I favor us going through all of that again, beginning right from the start.

It has all been posted here before. In your post, you took no notice of the reasons the great majority of Christian churches think as they do about this, but you could check it out. I recommend that you do, that's all.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So all 36000? We don't believe it's a commemoration. .
Of course you do. As I stated, just about every Christian church considers it to be a commemoration even if they also consider it to be more than that.

This would include the Roman Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey Root,

Does Rome teach that they were unlettered? Aside from St Paul and St Luke?

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,626.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't referring to the apostles. I was referring to educated theologians that are giving commentaries on the Biblical scriptures.

I will take these educated theologians over the random people of various backgrounds and beliefs that post here.

Upvote 0

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wasn't referring to the apostles. I was referring to educated theologians that are giving commentaries on the Biblical scriptures.

I will take these educated theologians over the random people of various backgrounds and beliefs that post here.
Scrolling through the thread:
- 3 days and three nights are not literal 24 hour days, it is a Hebrew idiom where part of a day counts as a day. In our own language, a 3 day vacation does not mean a 72 hour vacation.
- In the CC, the Eucharist is not a commemoration. The Passover meal is one and the same sacrifice as the Crucifixion. There is not a multitude of sacrifices, It's all One Sacrifice, One Bread, One Body.
- I rely heavily on theologians and apologists who are smarter than me, and I use Protestant sources whenever I can. Truth is not dependent on the source, but stands on it's own merits.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,626.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Scrolling through the thread:
- 3 days and three nights are not literal 24 hour days, it is a Hebrew idiom where part of a day counts as a day. In our own language, a 3 day vacation does not mean a 72 hour vacation.
- In the CC, the Eucharist is not a commemoration. The Passover meal is one and the same sacrifice as the Crucifixion. There is not a multitude of sacrifices, It's all One Sacrifice, One Bread, One Body.
- I rely heavily on theologians and apologists who are smarter than me, and I use Protestant sources whenever I can. Truth is not dependent on the source, but stands on it's own merits.
Long as you feel good about it.

I don't know why there is so much resistance to the information given as to the annual Sabbath and the weekly Sabbath that explain the "three days and three nights" perfectly and gave me that "ohhh I see now" moment when facts and proper information explained a long time problem that I had with the timing of Christs death, burial and resurrection.
If you read the article.... the whole thing...... it takes away the problems with the timing AND changes nothing about the event.

But, you can continue to believe the fabricated time line.... even when Mary came "before sun up" which meant the night had not ended and the day had not started and it was still the Sabbath as Sunday would begin at daylight.

Your best post yet was:

Truth is not dependent on the source, but stands on it's own merits.

Flip flops are not "shoes".
A bag of chips is not a "meal".
Opening the fridge door is not a "workout".
and

Putting your clothes in a pile and closing the closet is not "putting them away"

No matter who your travel agent is........ Landing on Friday, just before sundown, and leaving Sunday before sunup.......not a three day three night vacation.....It's your dollar.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And then.............

And then... groups began to set out on their own, denying the effects of the sacraments, eventually to boil salvation down to John 3:16.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
And then... groups began to set out on their own, denying the effects of the sacraments, eventually to boil salvation down to John 3:16.

Forgive me...

John 3:16 is not "The Gospel", but if this is a suggestion that we are not saved by grace through faith in Christ's one time, all sufficient, and finished sacrifice, there is every evidence from the NT that that is actually precisely what the early church, as recorded in Scripture, believed. The "simplicity" that is in Christ. Even in Paul's day confusion and distortion regarding how one is saved was happening. Yet, the Gospel really is "simple" enough that a child can understand and recive it. (As Jesus Himself illustrated on multiple occasions)

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No need for sacraments though or training either. Right? We don't need this group called Christians to baptize us and teach us? We can get everything we need on our own? Right?

Forgive me...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟631,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
..even when Mary came "before sun up" which meant the night had not ended and the day had not started and it was still the Sabbath as Sunday would begin at daylight.
Just this part alone tells me the information you are promoting is in error.

Upvote 0