• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Catholic vs. Protestant Christianity

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by HRDJ, Aug 8, 2017.

1. JacksBratt

JacksBratt Searching for Truth

+3,680
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    Not sure who this is in response to. If it is me, I would just like to, politely, say that I will trust the sources available on the internet, that are written by educated theologians, over anyone on this forum...

No offense, but I have seen some pretty wild arguments on this site that just blew my mind.

2. Root of Jesse

Root of Jesse Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord Supporter CF Ambassadors

+3,216
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    So all 36000? We don't believe it's a commemoration. We believe it is the one and only event.

I've seen your knowledge of Catholicism, so don't know that I would trust your understanding of the doctrinal position of most Christian Churches.

3. Root of Jesse

Root of Jesse Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord Supporter CF Ambassadors

+3,216
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    No offense, but the apostles were not educated theologians. The Holy Spirit guided them into all Truth, as Christ promised them.

4. OrthodoxyUSA

OrthodoxyUSA Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    "Blessed art Thou, O Christ our God, Who hast revealed the fishermen as most wise by sending down
    upon them the Holy Spirit - through them Thou didst draw the world into Thy net. O Lover of Man, glory
    to Thee!"

Forgive me...

5. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+21,453
    Anglican
    Married
    I agree with you about some of the claims and charges that appear on this site regularly.

But all I was saying to you was that it isn't as though there's no rejoinder to the issues you raised concerning the crucifixion and the resurrection. And it is not as though Christianity has not addressed the concerns you posted.

But neither do I favor us going through all of that again, beginning right from the start.

It has all been posted here before. In your post, you took no notice of the reasons the great majority of Christian churches think as they do about this, but you could check it out. I recommend that you do, that's all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  6. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+21,453
    Anglican
    Married
    Of course you do. As I stated, just about every Christian church considers it to be a commemoration even if they also consider it to be more than that.

This would include the Roman Catholic Church.

7. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Hey Root,

Does Rome teach that they were unlettered? Aside from St Paul and St Luke?

Forgive me...

8. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    For the first 1500 years all Churches were catholic, even those that did not answer to Rome.

Forgive me...

9. JacksBratt

+3,680
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    I wasn't referring to the apostles. I was referring to educated theologians that are giving commentaries on the Biblical scriptures.

I will take these educated theologians over the random people of various backgrounds and beliefs that post here.

10. kepha31

kepha31 Regular Member

+582
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    Scrolling through the thread:
    - 3 days and three nights are not literal 24 hour days, it is a Hebrew idiom where part of a day counts as a day. In our own language, a 3 day vacation does not mean a 72 hour vacation.
    - In the CC, the Eucharist is not a commemoration. The Passover meal is one and the same sacrifice as the Crucifixion. There is not a multitude of sacrifices, It's all One Sacrifice, One Bread, One Body.
    - I rely heavily on theologians and apologists who are smarter than me, and I use Protestant sources whenever I can. Truth is not dependent on the source, but stands on it's own merits.

11. JacksBratt

+3,680
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    Long as you feel good about it.

I don't know why there is so much resistance to the information given as to the annual Sabbath and the weekly Sabbath that explain the "three days and three nights" perfectly and gave me that "ohhh I see now" moment when facts and proper information explained a long time problem that I had with the timing of Christs death, burial and resurrection.
    If you read the article.... the whole thing...... it takes away the problems with the timing AND changes nothing about the event.

But, you can continue to believe the fabricated time line.... even when Mary came "before sun up" which meant the night had not ended and the day had not started and it was still the Sabbath as Sunday would begin at daylight.

Your best post yet was:

Truth is not dependent on the source, but stands on it's own merits.

Flip flops are not "shoes".
    A bag of chips is not a "meal".
    Opening the fridge door is not a "workout".
    and

Putting your clothes in a pile and closing the closet is not "putting them away"

No matter who your travel agent is........ Landing on Friday, just before sundown, and leaving Sunday before sunup.......not a three day three night vacation.....It's your dollar.

12. JacksBratt

+3,680
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    And then.............

13. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    And then... groups began to set out on their own, denying the effects of the sacraments, eventually to boil salvation down to John 3:16.

Forgive me...

14. amariselle

amariselle Jesus Never Fails

+4,132
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Conservatives
    John 3:16 is not "The Gospel", but if this is a suggestion that we are not saved by grace through faith in Christ's one time, all sufficient, and finished sacrifice, there is every evidence from the NT that that is actually precisely what the early church, as recorded in Scripture, believed. The "simplicity" that is in Christ. Even in Paul's day confusion and distortion regarding how one is saved was happening. Yet, the Gospel really is "simple" enough that a child can understand and recive it. (As Jesus Himself illustrated on multiple occasions)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    No need for sacraments though or training either. Right? We don't need this group called Christians to baptize us and teach us? We can get everything we need on our own? Right?

Forgive me...

16. BNR32FAN

BNR32FAN He’s a Way of life Supporter

+2,668
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Most of them weren't but Paul was highly educated.

17. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    And St. Luke was a doctor.

Forgive me...

18. BNR32FAN

BNR32FAN He’s a Way of life Supporter

+2,668
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    That's debatable.

19. FenderTL5

FenderTL5 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,706
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Just this part alone tells me the information you are promoting is in error.

20. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,340
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    For the Hebrew, daybreak (the break of day) is at Sundown. Not sun up.

Gen 1 "...And the evening and the morning were the first day."

Forgive me...