Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
BTW, the Catholic church did not want the common people to have Bibles. The Reformers translated the Bible into the common people's language, so that all read it.

I know you meant the Latin Catholic Church of the West here, but the Eastern Orthodox Catholic Faith has ALWAYS provided Bibles in the local languages - In Egypt the Copts have their Coptic language Bible, the Jews their aramaic Bible, the Latins their Latin Language Bible [Jerome], and then St Kyrill gave a written language to the Slavs and then translated the Greek Bible into Kyrillic for them... Which reminds me, that the Greek Bible itself is a Bible translation into the common language of the people...

By Christ Alone we are saved!

Amen, Brother!
Christ is Born!
Christ is God...
We are saved BY Christ, THROUGH the Faith of Christ...

God Bless You!

Arsenios

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Truth never changes....that is why it has and will continue to be repeated."...nothing about sin is “ fine and dandy” that’s why it should not be committed..".glad God put my sins on the cross..".where are yours?

Again I agree. When we become believer's God forgives the sins and heals us, however; there are sins we do after becoming believers and we may forget or neglect to repent of the sin than we die with unrepentant sin upon our soul. Do you say God should say "oh well go in, even though there is a stain of sin on your soul"

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here's the context:

1 Corinthians 5: NKJV

5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers through whom you believed, as the Lord gave to each one? 6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase. 8 Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.

9 For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, you are God’s building. 10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it. 11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

Nothing about sin or purgatory. The context addresses the work of each of us building on the church through ministry (verses 5 and 6 and following). Who should take special note of this teaching? Our church shepherds mainly. Now I am of the conviction we all minister according to the gifts God grants us. So this speaks to us as well.

There has to be some fancy eisegesis using these passages for purgatory. The suffering loss is reward and not a fire that purifies venal sin.

And as already pointed out reference Council of Ferrara-Florence, ecumenical council of the Roman Catholic church (1438–45):

Catholic vs. Protestant – why is there so much animosity?"

We will agree to disagree

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
LOL, There is nothing to look up. Constantine only made Christianity a legal religion and had the buildings and properties the State had confiscated, returned to the Christians (Edict of Milan. Real historical document). What you have claimed as REAL history is nothing more than your imagination. YOU made the claim. YOU need to back it up.

No sir I do not need to do anything at all. It is recorded history for any and all who want to know. IF you choose to do that it is fine with me. If you choose NOT TO do that, that is just as fine with me because which ever one you choose, neither change the outcome.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To hide behind the "official teachings of the RCC" is a convenient path to remain in the dark. Most Catholics are instructed in Catholicism from infancy and never consider whether its doctrines are correct. They remain Catholics out of fear of retribution from family and friends, and enjoy the fleshly appetite for the trappings of religion. "Private" revelation of scripture is the only way someone receives salvation. When faith from God is released to the heart, your response of faith sets you free to encounter new life in Christ. The "comfort zone of religion" keeps multitudes of people in darkness. Tragic!

When the Holy Spirit is deposited in the heart of every believer, He came to instruct, correct, and led. The problem with Catholics and too many Protestants; they haven't developed a relationship with Him to trust the Word of God.

What an insightful, intelligent post! Where have you been hiding? Lol
As to one of your remarks.....I am paraphrasing what some bishop or cardinal or who knows what said about their faith.....”give us a child until he is seven ,and we will have him for life......”

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry....Paul almost always refers to the Gospel as his Gospel or my Gospel,meaning himself....I never noticed until it was pointed out to me.....surprising but true
Sin sure does offend God ,so much that He decided to “ remember no more” the sins of Believers.
It is not “fine” if a Believer sins and dies without repenting of that sin but if this poor sap believed Paul’s zGospel thAt says he will be saved if he believed it,he will be saved.if not, God is a liar.very unlikely.

It is the Gospel of Christ, St. Paul is not our Saviour Christ is.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've been where you are. And I later came to find that the Reformed position is stunted, myopic, unbiblical, and in any case just plain wrong on many counts. It simply misses the mark on both the nature and will of God. OF COURSE I'm not going to tell you that the RCC doesn't teach these things. I REPEATEDLY affirmed them in every one of my posts. Faith is the foundation of our justification-not the end of it.

On top of that there is no universal "we" in Protestantism, meaning you can't even speak for it. Going by Scripture alone, Luther taught baptismal regeneration.

"I've been where you are"!

Really??? You used to live in Orlando too! Where? I hope not "Pine Hills".

Honestly, are you serious???? You say that "Reformed position is stunted, myopic, unbiblical, and in any case just plain wrong on many counts."

You say that But you do not admit that the Roman Catholic Church teaches all of these UNBIBLICAL doctrines .......

310 Prayers for the dead were introduced

320 The lighting of candles

375 The worship of saints, about 365

394 The Mass was adopted

432 The worship of Mary began to develop

500 Priests began to assume distinctive robes

593 The Doctrine of Purgatory was introduced

600 Worship in Latin was mandated (since repealed)

606 Claims to Papal Supremacy took root

607 Boniface III made first Pope

650 Feasts in honor of the Virgin Mary began

709 Kissing the Pope’s foot

786 Worshipping images and relics

850 Use of "holy water" begun

995 Canonization of dead saints

998 Fasting on Fridays and during Lent

1003 Feasts for the dead were introduced

1074 Celibacy of the priesthood

1076 The dogma of Papal infallibility was announced

1090 Prayer beads

1140 The doctrine that there are seven sacraments was introduced

1184 The Inquisition

1190 Sale of Indulgences

1200 The wafer was substituted for the loaf

1215 Transubstantiation (A change of anything into something essentially different. The conversion of the substance of the Eucharistic elements into that of Christ’s body and blood; a doctrine of the Greek and Roman churches.) 1215 Confession was instituted

1220 Adoration of the Wafer (Host) (the worshipping of a piece of bread that one has become convinced is the Lord Jesus Christ)

1229 Bible forbidden to laymen

1316 The Ave Maria was introduced

1414 Cup forbidden to people at communion

1439 Doctrine of purgatory officially decreed

1439 Doctrine of the Seven Sacraments affirmed

1508 The Ave Maria approved

1534 Jesuit Order founded

1545 Tradition granted equal authority with the Bible

1546 The Apocrypha was received into the Cannon

1854 Immaculate Conception of Mary

1864 Syllabus of Errors proclaimed. The doctrine of the temporal power of the Pope proclaimed

1870 INFALLIBILITY OF THE POPE DECLARED

1950 Assumption of the Virgin Mary (the belief that the Virgin Mary ascended bodily into heaven without dying). The personal corporeal presence of the Virgin in heaven.

1965 Mary proclaimed "Mother of the Church"

1966 Pope Paul IV proclaimed an end to the traditional obligation that Catholics abstain from eating meats on Fridays. He abolished the index of forbidden books. He demoted a whole host of saints who had been canonized, revered, and prayed to by the church previously. A 138-page papal document (officially referred to as an "apostolic exhortation" was issued. Pope John Paul II in December dismissed the "widespread idea that one can obtainforgiveness directly from God."

1 John 1:9 clearly states......
"IF WE CONFESS OUR SINS, HE IS FAITHFUL AND JUST TO FORGIVE US OUR SINS, AND TO CLEANSE US FROM ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS."

20?? What is next?????

Copyright 2000 by AmazingBible.com and Gospel Truth Publishing

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
One would most assuredly HOPE they do!
Jesus is our Lord, God and Savior...
Arsenios
Amen! HalleluYAH ! to His Name Above Every Name !

Someone had posted that God always accomplishes His Will, not remembering perhaps that in some towns He visited, He could not do many miracles because of their unbelief (same on forum, and many places on earth). (likewise, though God desires and provides for all men to be saved , because of unbelief they are not)

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You show me that you have not thought through the deep things, but like most evangelicals only remain at the surface level.

That's right "redleghunter". From now on we are expecting you to think your comments through and stop being like the rest of us simple minded evangelicals. Duhhhhhhhh!

• Haha
Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is the Gospel of Christ, St. Paul is not our Saviour Christ is.

Look it up.....then take it up with Paul....Jesus saved us...Paul teaches us how to apply it to our lives

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Russian Orthodox Winter Baptism, Valaam Monastery,
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The end conclusion of the RCC's Gospel,
is a work
(s)-righteousness
to attempt to earn God's Grace.

The work of the Christian is repentance...
It is the first word of the Gospel of Jesus Christ...
Proclaimed by John the Baptist...

"REPENT!"

And why would anyone ever want to do such a thing???
"For...
The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!"

Christ Himself took up the same proclamation upon the death of St. John the Forerunner:
Matt. 4:17
From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say,
"Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

And after Christ, Peter Himself took up this Gospel:
"Repent and be baptized, all of you..."

The Gospel of Jesus Christ IS repentance -
The literal Greek in all of these is this:
"BE YE REPENING!"
It is an ongoing and never ending process of the work of repenting to the end of one's life...
"He who perseveres to the end SHALL BE saved..."
We are to never turn back to sin...

Without repentance there IS NO Salvation...

So from this alone, we are forced to confess and proclaim that works, the works of the Faith of Christ, beginning with and ending in repentance, these works of the Faith, are the necessary precursors of Salvation... That is why we are saved THROUGH the Faith of Christ, which is through repentance from dead works... It is why we are saved BY Christ, but only THROUGH repentance...

May you continue to abide in His Grace and Mercy...

Arsenios

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You show me that you have not thought through the deep things,
but like most evangelicals (you) only remain at the surface level.

Lord have Mercy...

Is this a commonly held view among Charismatics?
And if yes, how does one therein avoid the snares of pride?

May God forgive us all!

Arsenios

• Winner
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
SIMPLE! --- "REPENT!" as JESUS says. i.e. repent= TURN to YHWH (God) for YHWH'S KINGDOM IS AT HAND. (yes, today).
Thus,
not Jerusalem, not rome, not nyc (no stock marketing), not sodom and gomorrah,
not paris, not london...
but the KINGDOM OF YHWH (Kingdom of Heaven) (Yes, TODAY).
Turn to YHWH for further updates.

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Amen! HalleluYAH ! to His Name Above Every Name !

Someone had posted that God always accomplishes His Will, not remembering perhaps that in some towns He visited, He could not do many miracles because of their unbelief (same on forum, and many places on earth). (likewise, though God desires and provides for all men to be saved , because of unbelief they are not)
I should think that one can safely say that God is always accomplishing His Will, but as we all are all too painfully aware, He is doing so even when we follow our own will...

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Arsenios

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
SIMPLE! --- "REPENT!" as JESUS says. i.e. repent= TURN to YHWH (God) for YHWH'S KINGDOM IS AT HAND. (yes, today).
Thus,
not Jerusalem, not rome, not nyc (no stock marketing), not sodom and gomorrah,
not paris, not london...
but the KINGDOM OF YHWH (Kingdom of Heaven) (Yes, TODAY).
Turn to YHWH for further updates.
There is no substitute for vigilance of soul unto the ever-turning from evil, and toward Christ-our-God...

Arsenios

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I think the reason for all the angst between the Latins and the Reformationists is because the Reformation was birthed illegitimately by the Latins who were an apostatic Ekklesiological Mother Who persecuted Her own children, who in turn persecuted Her...

I never tire of telling the Latins:"These are YOUR children - Why do they hate you so much?"
And I sigh at always having to tell the Reformists:
"The Orthodox Faith is your Grandmother,
we are not your Mother..."
In their spiteful anger, Reformists think the Eastern Orthodox believe as the Latins believe...

Arsenios

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"I've been where you are"!

Really??? You used to live in Orlando too! Where? I hope not "Pine Hills".

Honestly, are you serious???? You say that "Reformed position is stunted, myopic, unbiblical, and in any case just plain wrong on many counts."

You say that But you do not admit that the Roman Catholic Church teaches all of these UNBIBLICAL doctrines .......
Where did I not admit that the RCC teaches those things-at least the list you gave me prior to this last one-which contains some errors? You seem to error often in your posts BTW. I haven't run into that so much with Protestants-other than with some of their Scriptural interpretations. Anyway, yes, I've been to Orlando, haven't lived there.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.