Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Again that is not true. There is NO straying from the Bible truth that ALL have sinned and NOONE is worthy to be saved my dear friend. There is NO evangelical path for one person and a different path for someone else.

Of course there is in your guys mind that is why you bash Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, and any that use Holy Tradition.

If you are a Catholic believer and have placed your faith only in the Lord Jesus Christ then as far as I know you would be a saved person. It is all about Jesus Christ my friend and nothing less.

I am not Catholic. We are saved, we are being saved, and we will be saved but we can never presume as evangelicals and some protestants do that we are always saved.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This whole thread is all about Major1's dislike of ALL things Catholic! It was his way of stirring things up as usual. Look at any Catholic thread he has posted in. It's always the same!

He is stuck in his little non-denom world. Thinking he knows all the answers and the Bible better than anyone else! Anyone can quote scripture. Scripture interpretations are two a penny. There are thousands like Major1 who think only their interpretations are the right ones!

I believe in Jesus. I believe in Jesus when He gave Peter the Keys. When He built His church on Peter, the Rock. I believe in Jesus when He said the gates of hell would not prevail against His church.

Many have tried to sink the Catholic Church. Many like Major1 over the centuries. All with their own ideas, opinions and interpretations of scripture. All failed to topple the church.

Jesus is the Cornerstone of the CC. It's roof may have holes, it's walls may have cracks, it's doors may be creaking, it's floors may be strained, but, as Jesus is it's cornerstone, and, it has been built on solid foundations, people like Major1 will never be able to pull it down!

The CC is guided by the Holy Spirit. It has Apostolic succession. It has Sacred Tradition entwined with Sacred Scripture!

Sola Scripture people, like Major1, are like tiny little rowing boats in a massive ocean without a rudder! They are lost. They left to go their own 'individual' way. They could not weather the storm. They only see in black and white.

Completely nailed it

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
If you cannot comprehend this then what are doing here?

If you are serious (rather than feigning in the absence of any real counter argument) cannot comprehend that then you have no business in apologetics, except as an argument against being a RC.
I am not an apologist. I am a patent attorney. So that is perfectly fine by me. Your sentences are simply not comprehensible to me. Or perhaps they would be if I spent several hours attempting to analyze them in search for a coherent thought, which I am not about to do.

But please feel free to continue to write for whoever is capable of understanding you. I do not. I do not know what else to tell you.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Because of people like you who believe that they are infallible, cannot accept that other people understand Scripture differently than you, and have a need to boost their ego by boorishly going around trying to prove to people that they are wrong and you are right.
Amen!

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Those are bishops of Rome. The idea of a pope and all that is associated with that position is still hundreds of years and more into the future.
And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.​

Keys to the kingdom of heaven. Sounds pretty Popish to me.

Read your "Bible" (the part of it that you have).

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
The scriptures I cite speaks to which spirit... "To the law and the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them."
Shouldn't you be on a corner somewhere trying to convince random people that we should be observing the Saturday Sabbath?

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I believe in Jesus. I believe in Jesus when He gave Peter the Keys. When He built His church on Peter, the Rock. I believe in Jesus when He said the gates of hell would not prevail against His church.

I hate to be a stickler
Yeah. I should just follow you instead. A random person on the internet who believes that he is an infallible interpreter of Scripture.
You could always choose to follow Jesus only... the whole book is about Him. No need for anything else... helpful yes but never needed.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
You could always choose to follow Jesus only... the whole book is about Him. No need for anything else... helpful yes but never needed.
The one who hears you hears me, and the one who rejects you rejects me, and the one who rejects me rejects him who sent me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Catholics claim to successfully avoid the legitimate problems of private interpretation by their reliance on their TRADITION. But that never satisfies the difference but instead merely pushes the question back a step. The truth is that both Roman Catholics and Protestants must, in the end, rely upon their reasoning abilities to choose their authority and their interpretive skills to understand what that authority teaches in order to determine what they will believe. IMO, Protestants are simply more willing to admit that this is the case.

In my experience, that is half of it. The other half is that virtually nobody is willing to admit that the final authority in all things is you yourself - the individual. What you choose to believe about God is what God is, to you. Maybe there is an objective truth somewhere out there, and it differs, but the way people look at it is that there is indeed an objective truth out there, and I know what it is. So, while going back up the logic tree to authority does indeed push things to the level of truth that you discussed, but the deeper truth that hardly anybody will ever admit - in part because he spends so much energy and anger arguing against it in everybody else - is that in the final analysis, in the court of our own minds, WE are the final judge, jury, arbiter and decider of all things. There may be a God above, but WE, individually, each decide who He is, and what he wants.

Most of us deceive ourselves into believing that our own minds are like computers that evaluate the evidence and come to the correct conclusion - and that other people are just arbitrarily overriding the truth.

Truth is, each of us is essentially like everybody else in that regard, and it is not logic that caused us to come to our own personal conclusion about God.

Truth is that most of us are not honest enough with ourselves to admit that we are the final judge of all truths within our own court, in part because we DESPISE that very visible feature in everybody else and call it a very bad thing. And we don't like to think of ourselves as bad.

Upvote 0

Vicomte13

Jan 6, 2016
Westport, Connecticut
✟93,837.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The animosity I hope is never personal
Because we are all the final judges of everything in our own courtroom, any challenge to our fundamental beliefs is, in fact, a direct challenge to our personal decisions, our logic, our intelligence, our wisdom - an attack on us. This evokes animosity, and it's ALWAYS personal. Most people are not honest enough with themselves to admit that, but it is so nevertheless.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
IF you have been on this web site for any length of time you have seen that most of the conversations and debates revolve around the conflict between the Catholic faith and the Protestant faith.

There is constant back and forth banter and in the end the difference is still there.
IT seems that the debates always disintegrate into personal combat and verbal wars with the moderators finally ending the thread and in fact I expect that same thing to happen to this thread.

It seems to me that the conflict comes from our basic human nature in dealing with fundamental disagreements concerning eternal truths. The Protestants understand that the RCC teaches a "work-gospel" that can not save and the Catholic church thinks that Protestants teach a "greasy - grace" gospel that requires nothing more than a simple confession of wrong doing/sin due to the emotional preaching of a man.

However, looking deeper than just that the question must be WHY?
In My Opinion the real rift that ignites the debate is rooted in AUTHORITY!

How anyone answers that question always determines the answers to all the other questions.
I think that every Catholic believer will agree that when it comes down to deciding a theological issue about defined Catholic dogma, there isn’t anything to discuss on the Catholic's side because once Rome speaks, it is settled.

Therefore we have the ROOT of the conflict. Whenever there is a theological discussion when trying to debate a Roman Catholic – reason and Scripture are not the Catholic’s final authority; they can always retreat into the “safe zone” of Roman Catholic Authority.

Because of this, the arguments between a Protestant and a Catholic will revolve around one's “private interpretation” of Scripture as against the "official teachings of the Roman Catholic Church."

Catholics claim to successfully avoid the legitimate problems of private interpretation by their reliance on their TRADITION. But that never satisfies the difference but instead merely pushes the question back a step. The truth is that both Roman Catholics and Protestants must, in the end, rely upon their reasoning abilities to choose their authority and their interpretive skills to understand what that authority teaches in order to determine what they will believe. IMO, Protestants are simply more willing to admit that this is the case.
I think you are largely correct here and the question of authority (specifically authority of the Pope) is the reason, above all that I rejected RC teaching and proclaim Sola Dios, Sola Soter, Sola Espirito Sancto.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because we are all the final judges of everything in our own courtroom, any challenge to our fundamental beliefs is, in fact, a direct challenge to our personal decisions, our logic, our intelligence, our wisdom - an attack on us. This evokes animosity, and it's ALWAYS personal. Most people are not honest enough with themselves to admit that, but it is so nevertheless.

In the final analysis , it’s just like Solomon said....”it’s all vanity”......

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
... helpful yes but never needed.
This is where, on the other hand, I disagree with the individualistic approach to Christ. His Spirit is revealed in Loving community of the Church. Wherever 2 or more a gathered together in His Name, He is among them and His authority becomes apparant wherever He is. So in fact we do need the others, not so they can waffle endless theological tirades authoritively but so that we may follow our Lord in Love.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tayla

Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The Protestants understand that the RCC teaches a "work-gospel" that can not save
Sadly, this is a misunderstanding of what the Catholic Church teaches. They teach, rather, that works are a part of faith. In other words, if you don't have works, you don't have faith, just as James says.

Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Unworthy servant for the Worthy Lord + Savior
Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
PeaceByJesus said:

That is so much esoteric ecclesiastical effluence as an argument, for 1 Corinthians 2 simply affirms the guidance of the Spirit, but does not establish one claimant as having it, including in a unique degree, and which every cult will claim. Instead, we are enjoined ot "try the spirits, whether they are of God," (1Jn. 4:1) and the means of doing by noble mean is by that which is written, and thus Scriptural substantiation in word and in power is what the Lord and His Church established their Truth claims upon thanks be to God.

Yes, we've done this now for at least a couple thousand years (both the testing of the spirits and the Scriptural substantiation).
No, that is not true, for you do not hold what is written to be the supreme standard but make your church itself to be that, thus Scripture cannot be allowed to contradict her. We Bible Christian havde been
How long has your faith denomination been doing it for?
Bible Christians are not a denomination though they may be part of one, but they have been "searching the Scripture whether these things be so" long enough to know that what the apostles preached was the word of God, and Catholic distinctives are not.

At least you all reject the Roman papacy, and most of you seem to reject her Purgatory, though RCs insist these are part of your authoritative Tradition, but you still hold to such novelties (as far as any believers in Scripture doing so) praying to created beings in Heaven (PTCBIH). Test the spirits indeed.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟271,879.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
. The Protestants understand that the RCC teaches a "work-gospel"
The protestants you are referring to are wrong.

Protestants teach a "greasy - grace" gospel that requires nothing more than a simple confession of wrong doing/sin due to the emotional preaching of a man.
No, protestants follow man. They follow your Billy Bob friend, Luther, Henry VII, Calvin, White, the list goes on and on

In My Opinion the real rift that ignites the debate is rooted in AUTHORITY!
Or the lack there of

Whenever there is a theological discussion when trying to debate a Roman Catholic – reason and Scripture are not the Catholic’s final authority;
If reason and someone's interpretation of scripture depart from the gospel message (heresy), then there must be a final authority outside ourselves to keep us on the "straight and narrow". If not chaos (protestantism) results.

they can always retreat into the “safe zone” of Roman Catholic Authority.
It is a safe zone. It's not as you intend as a backhanded insult, but it is a safe zone where we can be assured we do not stray into heresy.

Because of this, the arguments between a Protestant and a Catholic will revolve around one's “private interpretation” of Scripture as against the "official teachings of the Roman Catholic Church."
Your first correct point, congrats.

Catholics claim to successfully avoid the legitimate problems of private interpretation by their reliance on their TRADITION
Wrong again, and I had such hoppe for you

The truth is that both Roman Catholics and Protestants must, in the end, rely upon their reasoning abilities to choose their authority and their interpretive skills to understand what that authority teaches in order to determine what they will believe
Ah, I see. I will decide what scripture means. I, I, I. I think you hit the nail on the head. You are all about "I "

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.