London, UK
Visit site
✟9,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey,

I asked a question over at TAW about the Eastern Orthodox use of relics in consecrating their churches. (Apparently, a relic of a saint is required to consecrate an Orthodox church.) I asked that question partly because I was under the impression that Catholics don't use relics that way. That is, I thought that Catholics do not require a relic to consecrate a church.

However, the first poster on that topic said that you guys once did. Is this true? How widespread was it? Why was it done? Why did it stop?

I asked her for a source but I figured I'd come over and ask OBOB at the same time to see what you guys think.

Thanks!

BillH

Be not afraid!
Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's still considered normative for fixed altars to have relics in them.

Once upon a time, it was required, but most small churches had, well, very small relics -- like the chip of a bone or something like that. During the 1960s the rule was modified so that a reliquary had to contain an identifiable part of a body to be used to consecrate an altar. The down side to the new rule was that large relics were a little harder to come by than small ones. So, the strict requirement that an altar have one was relaxed. It's still considered the ideal, though.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Perceivence
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Honestly, i dont know much about the altars, except i believe there is a splinter of the Crucifix Christ died on at my old parish altar..

BUT - relics have been used since the inception of the Church.
[Paul's apron and so forth]

Upvote 0
E

evergreens

Honestly, i dont know much about the altars, except i believe there is a splinter of the Crucifix Christ died on at my old parish altar..

BUT - relics have been used since the inception of the Church.
[Paul's apron and so forth]

The effect of relics is also seen in the book of 2 Kings.

13:20 Elisha died and was buried. Moabite raiding parties invaded the land at the beginning of the year.
13:21 One day some men were burying a man when they spotted a raiding party. So they threw the dead man into Elisha's tomb. When the body touched Elisha's bones, the dead man came to life and stood on his feet.

Reactions: Gwendolyn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We have a relic on our Parish altar. I asked Bob and he told me it is a piece of the Cross. Yup... an actual piece of the actual Cross. I asked him how do we know its from that Cross. He said to ask Fr. Tom. So... I need to ask him to tell me the story. :)

I think most Catholic Churches do have some relic... doesn't have to be a bone of a Saint.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.