Catholic University painting depicting George Floyd as Jesus

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
A painting of George Floyd depicted as Jesus Christ displayed at a Catholic university is "heretical, blasphemous idolatry," a student told Fox News.

Blayne Clegg, a junior at the Catholic University of America, was shocked when he saw the painting hanging outside the law school’s chapel a few weeks ago.

"There's a fine line between recognizing the innate dignity and righteousness of human beings that are made in the image of God and embracing brazen, progressive politics," Clegg told Fox News.

Catholic University painting depicting George Floyd as Jesus is 'heretical, blasphemous,' student says

89770446-floyd-thumb.jpg

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why is an Episcopalian painting religious icons for a Catholic university? Aren't icons considered sacramentals in the RCC?
I hate this, what a disgusting act of sacrilege. I heard the artist is an Episcopalian so that's par for the course, but I hope this was hung without CUA's approval. Otherwise I'm extremely disappointed in them and I hope their alumni express a lot of outrage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why is an Episcopalian painting religious icons for a Catholic university? Aren't icons considered sacramentals in the RCC?

I don't know, it confounds me. I thought CUA was more conservative than that, but maybe they're slipping some. I'll be sure to ask my coworker tomorrow, he knows quite a bit about CUA. And yes, icons are sacramentals, so this 'art' is offensive at best.

I'm surprised and disappointed that I haven't heard more of an outcry about this. Not that I have any direct links to CUA but they're in my backyard so I tend to hear things. My guess is the only reason it hasn't gotten more negative attention and/or been removed is because it's George Floyd, and that criminal thug is a sacred cow for anyone to the left of Ronald Reagan right now.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
This:

Are there rules regarding the content of Roman Catholic artwork?

I don't know, it confounds me. I thought CUA was more conservative than that, but maybe they're slipping some. I'll be sure to ask my coworker tomorrow, he knows quite a bit about CUA. And yes, icons are sacramentals, so this 'art' is offensive at best.

I'm surprised and disappointed that I haven't heard more of an outcry about this. Not that I have any direct links to CUA but they're in my backyard so I tend to hear things. My guess is the only reason it hasn't gotten more negative attention and/or been removed is because it's George Floyd, and that criminal thug is a sacred cow for anyone to the left of Ronald Reagan right now.

• Informative
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others

It's like they're building a whole criminal pantheon for their new woke religion.

I'm sure there has been plenty of outcry, but my guess is that mainstream media is choosing not to report on it.

• Agree
Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Just when I thought I was getting more excited for my faith again :sigh:
No! You should be excited for your faith. This is not your faith. I mean literally, it was painted by an Episcopalian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's like they're building a whole criminal pantheon for their new woke religion.

I'm sure there has been plenty of outcry, but my guess is that mainstream media is choosing not to report on it.

Absolutely, look at how they enshrined his festering corpse in a golden coffin and paraded it through the streets in a horse drawn carriage. He's not a martyr, he died of a drug overdose. He held a gun to a pregnant woman. The man was a scumbag and they canonized him before his body was cold.

The thing is always in the service of something else with radicals like this.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
In the meantime, the real noncanonized George Floyd needs prayers.
Absolutely, look at how they enshrined his festering corpse in a golden coffin and paraded it through the streets in a horse drawn carriage. He's not a martyr, he died of a drug overdose. He held a gun to a pregnant woman. The man was a scumbag and they canonized him before his body was cold.

The thing is always in the service of something else with radicals like this.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian

If you read this piece it seems very clear that the university openly supported he hanging of the painting.

Catholic University Celebrates Painting of George Floyd as Jesus Christ, Releases Report on Racism - The Stream

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟433,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you read this piece it seems very clear that the university openly supported he hanging of the painting.

Catholic University Celebrates Painting of George Floyd as Jesus Christ, Releases Report on Racism - The Stream

Agreed, I just read this as well. Now I wonder who these "university officials" are. This is another example of "weaponized ambiguity" only it's not being used by the Vatican, it's an artist using the same strategy to infiltrate a Newman List school with his politically evil and blasphemous art. He claims it's Christ but has also said multiple times it's Floyd. He wants us to be unsure who it really is, all the while knowing it's Floyd and cackling that he's successfully hung a tribute to George Floyd in an otherwise conservative and traditional Catholic U.

The student body are far more (rightly) outraged than the faculty and administration. They better get on the student's level and fast.

• Agree
Reactions: eastcoast_bsc
Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Agreed, I just read this as well. Now I wonder who these "university officials" are. This is another example of "weaponized ambiguity" only it's not being used by the Vatican, it's an artist using the same strategy to infiltrate a Newman List school with his politically evil and blasphemous art. He claims it's Christ but has also said multiple times it's Floyd. He wants us to be unsure who it really is, all the while knowing it's Floyd and cackling that he's successfully hung a tribute to George Floyd in an otherwise conservative and traditional Catholic U.

The student body are far more (rightly) outraged than the faculty and administration. They better get on the student's level and fast.
Shouldn't the children decide what happens at their school since they are the ones paying the tuition and salary of the 'administrators'?

• Agree
Reactions: eastcoast_bsc
Upvote 0