Senior Veteran
Jul 8, 2003
Michigan
✟16,089.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I didn't watch it because my roomate is sleeping, but...

how can you defend that? I mean, the guy insinuated the government created AIDs to kill black people.

Actually, better question...

who would take that seriously?

But it isn't just about the fact that he said it. We have free speech in this country so he can say it all he wants. And he can hold that opinion. I believe the problem was his close relationship with a presidential candidate.

Upvote 0

the_Abbot

Veteran
Dec 22, 2003
Florida
✟10,445.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Does the clip actually say he's Catholic? I didn't notice... I know he was addressed as "father" but couldn't he be Lutheran or something?

Yeah I believe in one of the videos he mentions he is Catholic.

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
I didn't watch it because my roomate is sleeping, but...

how can you defend that? I mean, the guy insinuated the government created AIDs to kill black people.

Actually, better question...

who would take that seriously?

But it isn't just about the fact that he said it. We have free speech in this country so he can say it all he wants. And he can hold that opinion. I believe the problem was his close relationship with a presidential candidate.

Some of the things he said are indefensible, including the comment about AIDS. However, the comments that seem to get the most airtime are the ones taken out of context.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
Yep just saw it... I'd send you a "thank you note" but that button has now disappeared... :swoon:

Thats ok, good to see it resurrected. He is catholic and quite at odds with the head of the Chicago archdiocese. He also has a couple of children he adopted. He publically states that he is friends with Louis farrakhan.

Upvote 0

selfintercession

Contributor
Jan 2, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
✟24,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Liberals
Thats ok, good to see it resurrected. He is catholic and quite at odds with the head of the Chicago archdiocese. He also has a couple of children he adopted. He publically states that he is friends with Louis farrakhan.

:sigh: I'm sure there will be a book about him at some point. And it'll sell quite well I'm sure :doh:

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟147,506.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
He does have a point that conservative preachers can say highly negative things about America without catching the same flak.
You may have a point. After all, Fred Phelps is a card-carrying Democrat too.

I am not so sure about Jack Chick, but maybe he is a leftie too. (Even if he isn't you can have him, we don't want him).

But if so, then for sure it is only the lefties that catch the flak for spewing forth such scum in public.

I wonder what Obama thinks of his pastor though, now that Jeremiah Wright has come out and pretty much called Obama a liar?
How did that go again? " JW says something to the effect that if Obama is dsagreeing with him now, it is only because Obama is a politician, and that is what politicians have to do."

In other words, Jermiah Wright is calling Obama a liar.

When it comes to pastoring his sheep, the brother is a mother.

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
You may have a point. After all, Fred Phelps is a card-carrying Democrat too.

I am not so sure about Jack Chick, but maybe he is a leftie too. (Even if he isn't you can have him, we don't want him).

But if so, then for sure it is only the lefties that catch the flak for spewing forth such scum in public.

I didn't say that only the lefties caught flak. I said that conservatives can say negative things without catching flak. I've seen several conservative preachers say that America deserves the wrath of God for X or that America doing X caused God to send some disaster.

I wonder what Obama thinks of his pastor though, now that Jeremiah Wright has come out and pretty much called Obama a liar?
How did that go again? " JW says something to the effect that if Obama is dsagreeing with him now, it is only because Obama is a politician, and that is what politicians have to do."

In other words, Jermiah Wright is calling Obama a liar.

When it comes to pastoring his sheep, the brother is a mother.

He seems to have a big ego.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟147,506.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I didn't say that only the lefties caught flak. I said that conservatives can say negative things without catching flak. I've seen several conservative preachers say that America deserves the wrath of God for X or that America doing X caused God to send some disaster.
The idea that America is going to be punished for its toleration of sexual immorality is wide held by many religious people. I am not sure that it is even a left/right or a black/white issue.
Many Christians understand AIDS to be a punishment sent by God to punish such sin. Many-maybe even all-Jehovah Witnesses believe that AIDS is a punishment from God for sharing blood products.
Many Christians and Christian preachers have been saying such things for years. It is hardly true though, that there has been no flak on account of such beliefs. Many people are absolutely incensed by such ideas, and protest loudy against such things being said. Christianity in general is often brandished as being hateful as a result of Christians saying such things. It is one of the ongoing battles both within Christianity and within society as a whole.

To the extent that a politician does not put some distance between himself and these statments, he is running a strong risk of dividing his electorate. It is a fine balancing act, where the conservative politician does not want to outright endorse the actual statements, but at the same time does not want to alienate the evangelical Christian base that is now the lifeblood of the Republican Party.

In the end, it is a question of judgement. It is the difference between thanking some prominent minister for his support in the campaign, and being a paying member of an actual congregation for such a minister, having your children baptised by the minister, or naming your best-selling book after a pastor such as this.

Rest assured that liberals have harped constantly on the religious aspects of the Republican party for quite some time, that conservatives have been repeatedly condemned and vilified for 'shoving morality down ones throat' and imposing religion on society.

There has been no free ride here either for the party that is most identified with white anglo-saxon protestants.

In the end, it is a little bit disengenous for liberals to play the victim card here. If such a statment is wrong for Jerry Falwell, then it ought to be wrong for Jeremiah Wright too. If Obama is a victim, then so are Republicans.

Obama demonstrated very poor judgment for holding onto this demagogue as long as he did, and in the end, it is legitimate to wonder how much of his ideology he actually shares with Wright.

Certainly, there are many, many conservatives who hold any preacher in contempt, be he conservative or liberal, black or white, when he goes about blaming Americans for getting themselves bombed on 9/11.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
From what I've heard, this priest has been suspended by the Archdiocese of Chicago and is acting in support of Rev. Wright praising his theology (heretical and bigoted theology) and is in open defiance of the Magesterium; From what I've read he's not be having himself; I think somebody should put this guy under interdict or excommunication, because from what I've heard he's not much listening to the Archdiocese at al---His speeches border schism or heresy. (If I could remember the clips on him that I've seen, I'd post them as evidence but I cannot right now remember where I'd seen them.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tigg
Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
From what I've heard, this priest has been suspended by the Archdiocese of Chicago and is acting in support of Rev. Wright praising his theology (heretical and bigoted theology) and is in open defiance of the Magesterium; From what I've read he's not be having himself; I think somebody should put this guy under interdict or excommunication, because from what I've heard he's not much listening to the Archdiocese at al---His speeches border schism or heresy. (If I could remember the clips on him that I've seen, I'd post them as evidence but I cannot right now remember where I'd seen them.)

TY for the info. A looser. Do agree with you. (What thank you notes ?) I'll try the rep button. :)

-Peace-

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.