Catholic Priest "Canceled" because of what he wrote about Black Lives Matter??

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Michie in a Catholic forum, here, posted about how a priest has been removed from being a chaplain at M.I.T., reportedly because ones are disturbed by what he has written about the Black Lives Matter movement and about George Floyd's death.

I am offering this thread, here, so that non-Catholics and our non-Christian guests are welcome to comment.
Priest Canceled for Preaching Solidarity Over Racial Division "To conquer racisim requires a... ...conversion to holiness.”
I understand this is not a forum for theological debate. So, I will briefly say . . . not all people understand "holiness" the same way. So, it would depend on what the priest means by "conversion to holiness".

And "Solidarity" can mean different things.

My opinion is that by now there are people who are caring about black lives, but not all of us may hold to what is proposed by the founders of the Black Lives Matter movement. I would not assume all Black Lives Matter people have the same ideas and interests and motives. I personally have no problem with saying black lives matter; to me it never has meant black people should get special attention.

With loving any and all people we get the best result, the best possible unity. And our good example can help police and black people and racist and discriminatory people. Already, we have black and white and other people loving any and all people; such people already are doing what can help the most . . . not only changing culture, but character. But yes indeed we who are white need to do more good culturally for blacks and in sharing with blacks.

So, I would say how we learn to love is going to be included in the rightful meaning of holiness and being solid > solid not only in relating with other people, but deeply sound in how love effects my character . . . including so I am not merely changing how I might make gestures to black people . . . and others. I myself can be more intellectual and prim and proper and poopy, instead of feeling for other people; so I need more than policy change and trying to figure out how others want me to treat them > not all blacks, after all, are alike; so they might not all want me treating them in some cookie-cutting stereotyping, profiling way!!

@Sparagmos @SummerMadness > I put this here so various people are free to speak for themselves, and in case you please to speak for how you understand Black Lives Matter sees this thing about the priest. My opinion is he has too official an outlook, at least not personal enough. The death of George is not just a political matter, which needs to scare people to do policy and police damage control, but we need to have compassion for blacks who are suffering, but also for police who might be doing the best they can but they could be getting abused, too.

Our pastor has served as a police officer, and he converted to Jesus from atheism. Recently, in response to how ones are treating George's death, he said it was not compassionate to say, when there is the tragedy of a black person dying . . . oh, other people have died, today, too. But we need to feel for people. He said > if my child died, hopefully you would not say, oh a lot of other children died, today. George's death is tragic and it is good how so many people care about him.

I bet, that some number are trying to highjack his death for political reasons while others might be making . . . gestures. And yes, I am one to look for ways to look down on somebody, to criticize self-righteously; so this time is for me to be on time out to get more correction in feeling for other people and finding out better how to love.

I think Black Lives Matter can bring good from George's death. It sounds like some good things have already come. There is effort to reform; but also I know there is personal evaluation going on, about how a number of us have been feeling and thinking about our black neighbors. Ones of us might not agree with certain political and policy goals of certain Black Lives Matter people, but we have been seeing how we have not been loving the way we need to.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,670,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Father Daniel Moloney is the latest victim of cancel culture’s inquisition against all who question the Black Lives Matter movement. Moloney was forced out of his job as the Catholic chaplain of MIT last week after a university administrator deemed his writings on the death of George Floyd “deeply disturbing” and the Archdiocese of Boston asked him to resign.

In a blog post and an email to students published at the beginning of June, Moloney spoke out about the errors of the new approach to fighting racism — dividing people, accusing them of prejudice, and canceling those who disobey — and called instead for a Christian path of charity and solidarity.

If you dissent from the dogma of the Black Lives Matter movement, or any other liberal doctrine for that matter, you are not welcome in polite society.

“It’s a sad fact that most of our thinking about race takes place in a left-wing, Marxist, atheistic context, in which a desire for power and an awareness of otherness crowd out Christian reflections on meekness and solidarity,” he wrote in his blog post.

In his statement deemed to be the most controversial, Moloney said, “In the wake of George Floyd’s death, most people in the country have framed this as an act of racism. I don’t think we know that. Many people have claimed that racism is a major problem in the police forces. I don’t think we know that.”

In response to this, the university’s dean for student life, Suzy M. Nelson, wrote that Moloney “failed to acknowledge … the devastating impact of systemic racism — especially within the criminal justice system — on African Americans, people of African descent, and communities of color.”

Continued below.
Priest Canceled for Preaching Solidarity Over Racial Division | The American Spectator | Politics Is Too Important To Be Taken Seriously.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you, Michie, for putting that in, at least for our information.
and the Archdiocese of Boston asked him to resign.
Now, I get how ones are saying the "left" people are censoring, not welcoming freedom of speech. But, of course, I welcome anyone left to speak for oneself about this, here.

But Michie > it does not say only the M.I.T. removed the priest, but the Catholic diocese requested that he resign.

So, what's with that, please? I would say if he is standing for right catholicism, the diocese would stand with him. But I could be misrepresenting the diocese. Possibly, it is their intention to welcome M.I.T. to voluntarily accept a Catholic chaplain, and not be pressured to.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Michie in a Catholic forum, here, posted about how a priest has been removed from being a chaplain at M.I.T., reportedly because ones are disturbed by what he has written about the Black Lives Matter movement and about George Floyd's death.

I am offering this thread, here, so that non-Catholics and our non-Christian guests are welcome to comment. I understand this is not a forum for theological debate. So, I will briefly say . . . not all people understand "holiness" the same way. So, it would depend on what the priest means by "conversion to holiness".

And "Solidarity" can mean different things.

My opinion is that by now there are people who are caring about black lives, but not all of us may hold to what is proposed by the founders of the Black Lives Matter movement. I would not assume all Black Lives Matter people have the same ideas and interests and motives. I personally have no problem with saying black lives matter; to me it never has meant black people should get special attention.

With loving any and all people we get the best result, the best possible unity. And our good example can help police and black people and racist and discriminatory people. Already, we have black and white and other people loving any and all people; such people already are doing what can help the most . . . not only changing culture, but character. But yes indeed we who are white need to do more good culturally for blacks and in sharing with blacks.

So, I would say how we learn to love is going to be included in the rightful meaning of holiness and being solid > solid not only in relating with other people, but deeply sound in how love effects my character . . . including so I am not merely changing how I might make gestures to black people . . . and others. I myself can be more intellectual and prim and proper and poopy, instead of feeling for other people; so I need more than policy change and trying to figure out how others want me to treat them > not all blacks, after all, are alike; so they might not all want me treating them in some cookie-cutting stereotyping, profiling way!!

@Sparagmos @SummerMadness > I put this here so various people are free to speak for themselves, and in case you please to speak for how you understand Black Lives Matter sees this thing about the priest. My opinion is he has too official an outlook, at least not personal enough. The death of George is not just a political matter, which needs to scare people to do policy and police damage control, but we need to have compassion for blacks who are suffering, but also for police who might be doing the best they can but they could be getting abused, too.

Our pastor has served as a police officer, and he converted to Jesus from atheism. Recently, in response to how ones are treating George's death, he said it was not compassionate to say, when there is the tragedy of a black person dying . . . oh, other people have died, today, too. But we need to feel for people. He said > if my child died, hopefully you would not say, oh a lot of other children died, today. George's death is tragic and it is good how so many people care about him.

I bet, that some number are trying to highjack his death for political reasons while others might be making . . . gestures. And yes, I am one to look for ways to look down on somebody, to criticize self-righteously; so this time is for me to be on time out to get more correction in feeling for other people and finding out better how to love.

I think Black Lives Matter can bring good from George's death. It sounds like some good things have already come. There is effort to reform; but also I know there is personal evaluation going on, about how a number of us have been feeling and thinking about our black neighbors. Ones of us might not agree with certain political and policy goals of certain Black Lives Matter people, but we have been seeing how we have not been loving the way we need to.
Since you asked - I don’t know what the majority of ppl in the BLM think of this priest, I doubt it’s on many people’s radar. What he’s saying is similar to what we are hearing from a lot of conservatives, so I don’t find it remarkable. I think that he, like many of us, is blind to the fact of white supremacy in our country. He just doesn’t see it. Saying “Races hate each other” is not the same as saying “one race holds too much power in our society, which causes inequality and suffering, which in turn leads to anger from one side and defensiveness from the other side.” You see, in order for people of color to have more representation in the power structures of our society, white people are going to have to use their power and privilege to create the space and resources for people of color to step into power.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Since you asked - I don’t know what the majority of ppl in the BLM think of this priest, I doubt it’s on many people’s radar. What he’s saying is similar to what we are hearing from a lot of conservatives, so I don’t find it remarkable.
It's worth noticing that, from the news account, the student filing the protest did so because of two things: 1) he didn't feel good about what the chaplain had to say, and 2) he thought the chaplain should have gone further in his analysis.

As a result, he's been fired. This sort of thing isn't even news anymore.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Since you asked - I don’t know what the majority of ppl in the BLM think of this priest, I doubt it’s on many people’s radar. What he’s saying is similar to what we are hearing from a lot of conservatives, so I don’t find it remarkable. I think that he, like many of us, is blind to the fact of white supremacy in our country. He just doesn’t see it. Saying “Races hate each other” is not the same as saying “one race holds too much power in our society, which causes inequality and suffering, which in turn leads to anger from one side and defensiveness from the other side.” You see, in order for people of color to have more representation in the power structures of our society, white people are going to have to use their power and privilege to create the space and resources for people of color to step into power.
Thank you, Sparagmos, for taking the time. I am sure you are busy with doing what you feel will really help, and with your family since you're married. So, thank you :)

So, yes I now can see > supremacy can be different than hate. And I think you made a distinction that racism as hatred is not the same as discrimination which is favoring one person over another. Plenty of people might discriminate about who and how they love, but this does not mean they actually hate someone they do not love as much as someone else.

And I think you are saying how the supremacy does not mean whites are superior, but simply how they have certain power which blacks do not have.

I myself have put blacks higher than myself, and I enjoy doing this . . . in order to love someone. Loving is very enjoyable :) Of course, a number of them were higher, anyway . . . and for my good and the good of others, to say the least.

So, indeed, to do what is right with blacks will be for our own good.

Now, it might not be the same thing . . . quite . . . but if Ben Carson showed up to surgically separate the twins of a friend of mine, I think it would be a good idea to put him above me and my kitchen knife.

So . . . maybe I'm starting to actually think, here. It can be very wise and for everyone's benefit to put certain blacks in places higher, even than our own selves.

And, yes, allow and help blacks to do the good they are capable of doing.

• Friendly
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you dissent from the dogma of the Black Lives Matter movement, or any other liberal doctrine for that matter, you are not welcome in polite society.

And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the LORD, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. —Joshua 24:15

We must be mindful of our alliances and make sure God is directing our steps. Personal feelings and the Holy Spirit aren’t one in the same. The upside of what’s occurring is knowing where the other person stands. You can respond accordingly.

~Bella

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe if black lives mattered more to Black Lives Matter George Floyd and others might be alive today. Instead of dealing with criminal behavior in their own communities they leave the police to do it, with predictable results.

Upvote 0