Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So I seem to be questioning tons of things in Catholicism now.

Do the Orthodox also consider the priest an "Alter Christus" like Catholics do?

nope. check out the differences between us and Rome in what is said during any sacrament.

Upvote 0

Markie Boy

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟402,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
nope. check out the differences between us and Rome in what is said during any sacrament.

Catholics seems to do a lot of "puffed up" language. When I question them on it, they seem to then want to deflate it or justify it by some odd perspective - it's just odd.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Catholics seems to do a lot of "puffed up" language. When I question them on it, they seem to then want to deflate it or justify it by some odd perspective - it's just odd.

Orthodoxy has some "puffed up" language too, depending on what you mean.

Some of it is the result of trying to translate very rich words in the Greek into English where there just aren't simple words (to be fair, I'm not familiar with the way Greeks of the day interacted with their language, so no idea if it was similarly "puffed up" in the original). But especially in the hymnology, at least among the Greeks, we use some pretty convoluted language in our translations presently. That's actually something I gather they'd like to streamline, but it probably isn't possible in English without losing meaning.

And some is the result of the way thoughts were expressed when they were written. I notice this sometimes in some of the prayers. But the greatest percentage of the prayers have no such problem at all. Just a small subset.

I'm not sure if that's what you mean. But asking why ought to be a fair question.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I meant like in a baptism. I am pretty sure in Rome the priest says, "I baptize in the Name of..." whereas for us, "The servant of God is baptized..."

• Informative
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Hamlet7768

World's Second-Worst Polemicist
Nov 2, 2013
United States of America
✟22,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I meant like in a baptism. I am pretty sure in Rome the priest says, "I baptize in the Name of..." whereas for us, "The servant of God is baptized..."

Correct, in the Roman Rite it is "[Name], I baptize you in the Name of..."

The Rite of Absolution after Confession is similar, though invoking the Church as a whole: "Through the Ministry of the Church, may God grant you pardon and peace, and I absolve you of your sins in the Name of..."

Rome, for its part, doesn't seem to consider these things different enough to warrant separation, since the Greek Catholic Churches all use the formula Matt mentioned, so far as I know.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Correct, in the Roman Rite it is "[Name], I baptize you in the Name of..."

The Rite of Absolution after Confession is similar, though invoking the Church as a whole: "Through the Ministry of the Church, may God grant you pardon and peace, and I absolve you of your sins in the Name of..."

Rome, for its part, doesn't seem to consider these things different enough to warrant separation, since the Greek Catholic Churches all use the formula Matt mentioned, so far as I know.

but still not the same. for us it's, "May God forgive thee through me..." there is no, "I absolve you..." for us, absolution is from God alone and only through the priest.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,783.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
but still not the same. for us it's, "May God forgive thee through me..." there is no, "I absolve you..." for us, absolution is from God alone and only through the priest.
Yes, Orthodox theology pervades everything we do, just as Latin theology pervades everything Catholics do. As his eminence E.P. Bartholomew stated at Georgetown University, the manner of our being has become ontologically different.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Orthodox theology pervades everything we do, just as Latin theology pervades everything Catholics do. As his eminence E.P. Bartholomew stated at Georgetown University, the manner of our being has become ontologically different.

right, I believe Fr Damick used that quote in Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
True. For me this is not a small, reconcilable difference. Rather, we Orthodox have a profoundly different relationship ontologically with both God and our priests. Orthodox priests seem more accessible with the language they use, like they are on our side advocating for us.

Upvote 0