Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Christine Niles, a Vietnamese immigrant who helps run a parachurch organization in Michigan that promotes Roman Catholic teaching, expected to spend this week preparing theological materials and getting ready for the group’s annual conference for men.

Instead, Niles, who is editor-in-chief of Church Militant, has been in consultations with local law enforcement after learning that a left-wing group is drumming up support to shut down the conference, which will take place on Aug. 4-6 at locations in Ferndale and Sterling Heights, Mich.

But according to the Michigan People’s Defense Network (MPDN), since the conference run by Church Militant -- which adheres diligently to centuries-old Roman Catholic teaching -- is exclusively for men, it “promotes a hateful, anti-woman message.”

Link

• Informative
Reactions: brinny

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sorry but if they disagree with the private groups focus of their annual men conference, I'm not seeing why they are thinking it's their business.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
God have mercy!

Praying for the protection of the men's conference and the coordinator of it and all the attendees, that God defends the conference and coordinator from all who would attempt to oppress and/or bully them.

God help us.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Mccleary
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They are having their meetings on the wrong side of the state. They are in the wild liberal Detroit area. If instead they met in the western half, there would be a lot fewer wingnuts to deal with.

And besides, watching the sun set over Lake Michigan is a true treat. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry but if they disagree with the private groups focus of their annual men conference, I'm not seeing why they are thinking it's their business.

According to their facebook page this is why:

''The Church Militant is a radical religious hate group working to suppress women’s rights and promote a theocratic Christian agenda. They claim to be Catholic but have been denounced by the Church. Detroiters will not stand for this and we must kick this hate out of our community.

The Michigan Peoples Defense Network, an anti-racist, anti-fascist action group dedicated to fighting all forms of oppression, will call a press conference Friday, July 28th at 5pm to announce an action countering a “mens rights” conference by the radical Christian news organization Church Militant.

On August 5, at 8:30am at the Wyndham Garden Hotel in Sterling Heights, the community will picket and protest to shut down the hateful ...messages spread at this conference.

The “Strength and Honor” conference aims to help attendees “gain the spiritual and mental tools you'll need in order to be strong leaders among the faithful and lead the Church's next generation,” but in reality, the Church Militant promotes a hateful, anti-woman message. Many of the Church’s points are lifted from or are identical to “men’s rights” discourse, which focuses on reducing women’s agency and reproductive rights.

The Church also peddles racist anti-Muslim rhetoric, painting Muslim migrants and refugees as sexual predators.

The Church Militant broadcasts its messages of hate from an office in Ferndale, and plans to hold its conference in Sterling Heights. The Church attempted to hold a similar conference in Detroit in 2014, but the community rallied to cancel the conference and force the Church to choose a new venue. Struggle cancels anti-woman conference in Detroit

As the radical Christian right rises in America, having supported Donald Trump’s campaign of hatred against the most marginalized, it is more vital than ever that the community stands against hate draped in a cross.''

Fox news versus an anti-racist, anti-fascist group.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

''The Church Militant is a radical religious hate group working to suppress women’s rights and promote a theocratic Christian agenda. They claim to be Catholic but have been denounced by the Church. Detroiters will not stand for this and we must kick this hate out of our community.

The Michigan Peoples Defense Network, an anti-racist, anti-fascist action group dedicated to fighting all forms of oppression, will call a press conference Friday, July 28th at 5pm to announce an action countering a “mens rights” conference by the radical Christian news organization Church Militant.

On August 5, at 8:30am at the Wyndham Garden Hotel in Sterling Heights, the community will picket and protest to shut down the hateful ...messages spread at this conference.

The “Strength and Honor” conference aims to help attendees “gain the spiritual and mental tools you'll need in order to be strong leaders among the faithful and lead the Church's next generation,” but in reality, the Church Militant promotes a hateful, anti-woman message. Many of the Church’s points are lifted from or are identical to “men’s rights” discourse, which focuses on reducing women’s agency and reproductive rights.

The Church also peddles racist anti-Muslim rhetoric, painting Muslim migrants and refugees as sexual predators.

The Church Militant broadcasts its messages of hate from an office in Ferndale, and plans to hold its conference in Sterling Heights. The Church attempted to hold a similar conference in Detroit in 2014, but the community rallied to cancel the conference and force the Church to choose a new venue. Struggle cancels anti-woman conference in Detroit

As the radical Christian right rises in America, having supported Donald Trump’s campaign of hatred against the most marginalized, it is more vital than ever that the community stands against hate draped in a cross.''

Fox news versus an anti-racist, anti-fascist group.

I know this is what the group thinks about them - but my point is, it doesn't affect them so why protest and try to boycott? They don't' agree with the groups' teachings, but it's being held indoors on religious property - why make it their business? I can get protesting if a group they disliked was trying to cause issues at a public or government event where they were also attending, but that's not the case here. It's a private men's conference that's held every year by a religious organization.

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know this is what the group thinks about them - but my point is, it doesn't affect them so why protest and try to boycott? They don't' agree with the groups' teachings, but it's being held indoors on religious property - why make it their business? I can get protesting if a group they disliked was trying to cause issues at a public or government event where they were also attending, but that's not the case here. It's a private men's conference that's held every year by a religious organization.

I imagine that as an anti-racist, anti-fascist action group they feel it is their duty to actively protest racism and other oppressions.

Isaiah 1:17

Learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause.

Amos 5:24

But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I imagine that as an anti-racist, anti-fascist action group they feel it is their duty to actively protest racism and other oppressions.

A lot of groups disagree with religious teachings and find them oppressive - that doesn't mean they should try to protest and shut down their annual conferences. It's not their organization and it's not their conference.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Every Christian should openly reject gender bias.
Gender bias of any kind is blasphemy.

Mathew 7: 12
A. In everything then,
B. do unto others
C. as you would have them do unto you.
D. For this is the essence of the Law and the prophets. (The O.T.)

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

You are quoting from the Facebook page of the protestor's statement, which of course refers to the event as anti-women and biased.

On the other hand, the event running this is stating the conference is, from their words:

"In fact, Strength and Honor — the third conference to date — is devoted to fostering men's growth in virtues like charity and humility by promoting the notion of selfless sacrifice and laying down one's life for the sake of the other. The event is meant to help men be better husbands, fathers, sons and brothers, modeling themselves after the Perfect Man, Jesus Christ.

"Church Militant is proudly pro-woman, pro-life and pro-immigrant," the press release concluded."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Every Christian should openly reject gender bias.
Gender bias of any kind is blasphemy.

My church has women's only groups and men's only groups too - that's not gender bias.

Note a woman, who is an immigrant, is helping organize this in the first place.

I'm not saying I agree with this religious group or am a part of it, but they are being called anti-women because they are having a men's conference, have fought for pro-life before, and have been known to support Trump in certain cases. I wasn't aware it was okay now to threaten and shut down events for religious groups that did this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My church has women's only groups and men's only groups - that's not gender bias.

Note a woman, who is an immigrant, is helping organize this in the first place.

Yes, those are excellent examples of gender bias.
You may like them, but they are gender bias.
Even your mentioning the organizers gender is your
method for approving of her bias.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You may like them, but they are gender bias.

I disagree - there's nothing wrong with having specialized social groups in churches. I certainly wouldn't feel left out not being able to attend a conference with tips on how to be a better husband and father.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Even your mentioning the organizers gender is your
method for approving of her bias.

No, I'm just pointing out that it's not like women aren't involved with this religious organization at all. If you just go by the protestor's claims, it is all anti-women. Apparently the women involved with the groups conference don't agree.

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are quoting from the Facebook page of the protestor's statement, which of course refers to the event as anti-women and biased.

On the other hand, the event running this is stating the conference is, from their words:

"In fact, Strength and Honor — the third conference to date — is devoted to fostering men's growth in virtues like charity and humility by promoting the notion of selfless sacrifice and laying down one's life for the sake of the other. The event is meant to help men be better husbands, fathers, sons and brothers, modeling themselves after the Perfect Man, Jesus Christ.

"Church Militant is proudly pro-woman, pro-life and pro-immigrant," the press release concluded."

Okay but have you googled them? there is a lot of criticism of them even from within the RC church.

This is a quote from a KKK leader "We don't hate people because of their race. We are a Christian organization," Frank Ancona, the imperial wizard of the Traditional American Knights of the KKK

That's lovely but I know for sure that if the KKK tried to hold a meeting in my neighbourhood I would be there peacefully protesting it because it is right to speak against evil things that tarnish the name of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Okay but have you googled them? there is a lot of criticism of them even from within the RC church.

This is a quote from a KKK leader "We don't hate people because of their race. We are a Christian organization," Frank Ancona, the imperial wizard of the Traditional American Knights of the KKK

That's lovely but I know for sure that if the KKK tried to hold a meeting in my neighbourhood I would be there peacefully protesting it because it is right to speak against evil things that tarnish the name of Jesus Christ.

I do note the group is controversial, I'll admit. I just don't think it's right for their annual mens conference to be protested against/shut down because another non-religious group disagreea with them. If they were gathering to talk about violence, racist activities, or hate group material - I could understand - but the conference is supposed to be about tips on being a better husband/father. They only expected 50-100 to attend at the most.

"That's lovely but I know for sure that if the KKK tried to hold a meeting in my neighbourhood I would be there peacefully protesting it because it is right to speak against evil things that tarnish the name of Jesus Christ."

I would agree with you because the KKK is a hate group. Hate crimes are illegal. Being pro-life and conservative isn't, however. The protestors keep bringing up they see the Militant church as anti-women because of the pro-life issues as a main cause.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, I'm just pointing out that it's not like women aren't involved with this religious organization at all. If you just go by the protestor's claims, it is all anti-women. Apparently the women involved with the groups conference don't agree.

I'm not paying any attention to if they are or not.
I'm objecting to you claiming it matters.

They may be all women or all men. No matter.
They certainly don't pick up any more points
just by being a mixed gender group.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Let me ask this then: What church annual conferences do you think are acceptable to hold that don't deserve protest and threats of shut-down? Only if men and women are both part of it? Only if the group has not been involved in politics in the past and spoken out about pro-life as one of their strongest causes? Only non-controversial church groups?

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They may be all women or all men. No matter.
They certainly don't pick up any more credibility
just by being a mixed gender group.

But I don't see why they are being protested against when it doesn't affect the people protesting. If they don't want to be involved with that church, why should they be mad if that church is hosting an event for its members?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But I don't see why they are being protested against when it doesn't affect the people protesting. If they don't want to be involved with that church, why should they be mad if that church is hosting an event for its members?

Well, that is the ultimate in sin behavior, only being concerned about self.

Upvote 0