Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Local Catholic leaders are opposing a Baltimore City Council proposal that they say unfairly harrasses pro-life pregnancy support centers, the Catholic Review reports.

The bill, sponsored by council President Stephanie Rawlings-Blake and 10 other council members, would require clinics that don't provide contraception or abortion to post signs saying so, or be fined $500 per day.

The Catholic Review quotes from a letter by Archbishop Edwin F. O'Brien saying that the proposal targets non-profit organizations whose mission is to help women carry pregnancies to term.

Continued- http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/faith/2009/10/catholic_leaders_oppose_city_c.html

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Listed under the category of "abortion" in the Baltimore Yellow Pages is this listing:
Greater Baltimore Center for Pregnancy Concerns

Pregnant & Need Help? Embarazada? Llamanos. Aqui Te Ayudamos. Accurate Information On All Options. Call Our Help Line!

2418 Paul St.,
Baltimore, MD 21218

Additional Locations:
7329 Holabird Ave. (1/2 mile W of Merritt Blvd),Baltimore,MD 21222
(410) 243-6555

039353495-076571286

Business Detailshttp://javascript&#37;3Cb></b>:;

Products & Services

• Abortion Alternatives
  • Abstinence Programs
  • Accepting New Patients
  • Confidential Compassionate Peer Counseling
  • Counseling For Schools & Churches

Actually, it's pretty common for these centers to list themselves under "abortion" in the yellow pages. In my city, for example, where there are not abortion clinics, if you looked in the yellow pages under abortion all you would find would be two 'abortion-alternative' clinics.

Maybe their complete ads don't advertise abortion or contraception, but that is the category they list under in the yellow pages.

And so yes, I do think it is reasonable to require signs.

I don't think the issue has anything to do with abortion. It has to do with honesty.

And regardless of what some groups who are trying to do good think about the morality of lying in order to do good, I don't think that God permits one to lie to do good (and I think the catechism would back me up.) They should appreciate the opportunity to be honest about their services.

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I tend to agree with the Bill, if, as Fantine, says, there are clinics listings themselves under "Abortion" somewhat deceptively. I think its fair that the clinics be required to advertise what specifically what they do and do not offer, especially if there are concerns of them being misleading.

I personally cannot see why this would be an unreasonable demand. What is the alternative? Leaving the pregnant women ignorant? That seems low.

Upvote 0