✟7,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello,

I posted this in the other Orthodoxy section on here as well so I could get all Orthodox opinions on this.

I have recently been very interested in Orthodoxy. My journey from Protestantism led me a while ago to Catholicism which I believed to be the true Church established by Jesus Christ. Now as a Catholic, I feel that maybe I should check out Orthodoxy or eastern Catholicism to see if the Orthodox Church may be the true church established by Christ and from which the other schismed in 1054.

I understand the orthodox belief on the Filioque and am starting to doubt Catholic teaching on it but I'm not sure.

I know a major thing with Orthodoxy is that the bishops are equal and there is no Pope or Papacy over all the bishops. I am curious as to why this is when it is pretty biblical as to how Christ established the Church on Pope St. Peter.

Are there any converts to Orthodoxy from Catholicism on here that would like to tell me your journey or why you converted?

I feel really drawn in by the Orthodox spirituality and the eastern almost mysticism that goes along with it. I love the recitation of the Jesus prayer and carry a prayer rope in my pocket to always pray it in English, Greek, or Latin along with my rosary. I have also started reading some of The Way of the Pilgrim which has drawn me even closer to Orthodox spirituality.

I am really curious to about hesychasm in prayer and how to obtain this and what it entails seems fascinating to me.

If anyone has any advice on where to start studying or maybe some spiritual exercises to adopt or anything, it will be well appreciated. And, don't hold back any of your feelings toward Catholicism, I can handle it! :)

God bless!

Shane R

Priest
Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟535,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
The Roman claim sounds a bit odd since Rome is not as old a patriarchate as Jerusalem, Alexandria, or Antioch though she is admittedly older than Constantinople or Moscow. Also, the Petrine claim seems a bit trumped up, since James is presented as an equal to Peter, at least in the Jerusalem church. I am familiar with the text in Matthew relating to the office of the Keys and I believe it is at heart a Pentecostal text. Each apostle was empowered in the same manner at Pentecost, and each went on to a very special work according to church tradition, though not all in the same region.

Upvote 0
D

Damooster

Hello,
I know a major thing with Orthodoxy is that the bishops are equal and there is no Pope or Papacy over all the bishops. I am curious as to why this is when it is pretty biblical as to how Christ established the Church on Pope St. Peter.

God bless!

As a fellow Catholic who seems to be feeling the same way you do, I answered this question with the Council of Jerusalem in the Acts of the Apostles. At this council, it was James (not Peter) who led the council and made the final decision.

Upvote 0