Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So attend a Catholic Church weekly, but am struggling with much there. The only really active and engaged people there seem to be in the charismatic group - and I have ton's of issues with the Church even condoning the charismatic thing.

Some of them are going to a healing mass, and I am wondering does Orthodoxy have anything like a healing mass?

I am really starting to check Catholicism against Orthodoxy and very interested in learning more about Orthodoxy.

Thank You

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
While we don't have anything like the Charismatic Movement in Orthodoxy, we certainly do believe that the Holy Spirit is active in the Church today. Healing from God can occur at any time, but as Fr. Matt said, we do have a Holy Unction service, which is typically served every Holy Wednesday. Smaller unction services are held anytime it is needed.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sorry - a total newbie to Orthodoxy - what is a Holy Unction service?
The Orthodox Faith - Volume II - Worship - The Sacraments - Holy Unction

It's essentially the Church's prayer for healing, both of soul and body. The primary goal is not physical healing, though we do pray for that. As James 5 says, the prayer of faith will save the sick man, and he will be forgiven. Certainly God does heal us physically today, though it is not always the will of God to heal us physically here on Earth. Through anointment of the sick body, the sufferings of a person helps to sanctify them and unite them to the sufferings of Christ. If God wills it, people may be physically healed as well.

Is any among you sick, let him call for the presbyters of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer of faith will save the sick man, and the Lord will raise him up; and if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed (Jas 5.14–16; see also Mk 6.13).

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our pre-Eucharistic prayers asks for physical healing through the Eucharist. Our theology is such that Christ's resurrection is completely about the healing of mankind. Physical healing is a part of that healing but it isn't a measure of God's working as it is in Charismatic circles. Our union with God takes precedent over anything physical. We pray for physical healing in humility and accept whatever God gives with gratitude.

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So attend a Catholic Church weekly, but am struggling with much there. The only really active and engaged people there seem to be in the charismatic group - and I have ton's of issues with the Church even condoning the charismatic thing.

Some of them are going to a healing mass, and I am wondering does Orthodoxy have anything like a healing mass?

I am really starting to check Catholicism against Orthodoxy and very interested in learning more about Orthodoxy.

Thank You
I don't know what a healing mass is either.

But I recently have heard a radio show on EWTN that had me thinking I'd inadvertently changed the station. (We only get Catholic and Protestant radio in the car, so sometimes I listen.) But EWTN has at least one program that is indistinguishable in many respects (ok, all respects really, except slightly more often mentioning the Holy Trinity - maybe) compared to any Pentecostal radio show or service I've ever been to.

If a healing mass is like a Pentecostal healing service - show up and everyone gets hands laid on them and prayed for (usually by a prayer team or people paying for each other), all about speaking God's words as though that in itself obligates Him to heal (or thinking it is our speaking forth that directs the grace of God), of speaking as though He is revealing things to them, and all that - with the EXPECTATION that such will happen - then no, we don't have anything like that.

We do anoint for healing, with a special oil that is sacramental, and also we can use other kinds of oils that are special but not a sacrament so that anyone can be prayed for. You don't have to be Orthodox. The priest anoints and prays. Or any layperson can do so non-sacramentally, like for their sick child at home, if they want.

It is normally done when someone is sick, facing surgery, etc. and they go to the priest after the service and ask for it. "Is any among you sick ... let him go to the elders ... " etc for anointing and prayer.

There is a service once a year (sometimes twice - our priest has permission and wanted to do it before Christmas as well) ... when it is offered as part of and st the end of the service for all to receive. This one is not sacramental, so anyone can receive anointing and prayer. But it's not at all the same atmosphere as a Pentecostal gathering.

I actually think Catholics are somewhat opposed theologically to this. It is my understanding that they generally reserve the sacramental anointing for only times when the person might die, and they don't seem to approve of it for anything not potentially life-threatening. So my guess is that whatever happens in a Catholic healing mass is VERY different from what we do.

ALL of the charismatic gifts are actually present and practiced in Orthodoxy. But what it looks like is very, very different from Pentecostalism.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Thank You
In the Early Church anointing was by the elders for healing. As the Church evolved, the anointing changed from healing to being part of the last rites. So, anointing for healing is the original way, and if some in the church are re-introducing it, they are going back to the historical roots and adopting what the anointing was used for in the first place.

Divine healing has always been practiced in the Roman Catholic Church. It has never embraced the cessationist theories that exist in some areas of the Protestant churches. So the practice of praying for the sick is not limited to Charismatic doctrine and practice. It is an integral part of the tradition of the Church. In fact, to become a Catholic Saint, the candidate has to have a genuine miracle occur as part of their life and ministry, and often it has been because someone has been miraculously healed through their ministry.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In the Early Church anointing was by the elders for healing. As the Church evolved, the anointing changed from healing to being part of the last rites. So, anointing for healing is the original way, and if some in the church are re-introducing it, they are going back to the historical roots and adopting what the anointing was used for in the first place.

Im not sure if you meant Orthodox, but since that's what the thread topic is, we aren't reintroducing it btw. It has always been done this way by us.

Last Rites alone is a more Catholic concept.

Divine healing has always been practiced in the Roman Catholic Church. It has never embraced the cessationist theories that exist in some areas of the Protestant churches. So the practice of praying for the sick is not limited to Charismatic doctrine and practice. It is an integral part of the tradition of the Church. In fact, to become a Catholic Saint, the candidate has to have a genuine miracle occur as part of their life and ministry, and often it has been because someone has been miraculously healed through their ministry.

I can't comment on cessationalism (or not) within Catholicism. It would not surprise me if they held in common with Orthodoxy the belief that miraculous workings have not ceased.

However, the Charismatic leanings within a segment of Catholicism represent a change in - forms and practice. Just an observation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Im not sure if you meant Orthodox, but since that's what the thread topic is, we aren't reintroducing it btw. It has always been done this way by us.

Last Rites alone is a more Catholic concept.

I can't comment on cessationalism (or not) within Catholicism. It would not surprise me if they held in common with Orthodoxy the belief that miraculous workings have not ceased.

However, the Charismatic leanings within a segment of Catholicism represent a change in - forms and practice. Just an observation.
As far as I know, The Eastern Orthodox Church practiced the Spiritual gifts right through to the 12th Century. Then they were gradually withdrawn from public worship, but was said to have continued privately for some time afterward. I think I picked up that information during my MDiv study in Early Church history.

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As far as I know, The Eastern Orthodox Church practiced the Spiritual gifts right through to the 12th Century. Then they were gradually withdrawn from public worship, but was said to have continued privately for some time afterward. I think I picked up that information during my MDiv study in Early Church history.

Where did you study for your MDiv?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

that's incorrect. the services were always public. the timing of them might have gotten shifted around due to being under oppression, but our services (especially the sacraments) are always corporate and public.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Where did you study for your MDiv?
It was an accredited degree through Nations University, an online Bible College affiliated with the Church of Christ. It took me three good years to complete it.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,237.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
that's incorrect. the services were always public. the timing of them might have gotten shifted around due to being under oppression, but our services (especially the sacraments) are always corporate and public.
I concur with that. You know more about the history of your own church that I would. The point I wanted to make was that the operation of the gifts of the Spirit are and were never the exclusive domain of the Charismatic churches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I concur with that. You know more about the history of your own church that I would. The point I wanted to make was that the operation of the gifts of the Spirit are and were never the exclusive domain of the Charismatic churches.

we would agree with that. the fullness of the charismatic gifts are only within the Church, but God can do what He wants.

Upvote 0

graphite412

Eastern Orthodox Neophyte
Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
✟30,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Besides the unction service mentioned, it is also a common thing for one to have oil from a lampada that burns before the relic of a canonized Saint. This oil can be used as an anointing oil in private use. These kinds of oil have been used by a priest I know for anointing catechumens and non-Orthodox, who cannot be anointed with Unction since they are not a part of the Church, in replacement of Holy Unction, during the during the unction service. Also it is common practice to take holy water daily for the health of soul and body.

Upvote 0