Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,385.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
'I’m sick of hearing it': Catholic bishop slams 'sacralizing' gun ownership while children die (msn.com)
Bishop Daniel Flores, Brownsville:
"I was referring to the fact that the discourse we’ve had now for decades, about any attempt to control weapons that can cause grave damage — some of which moves have been enacted into law and others which have been resisted — is countered with a description that [gun ownership] is basically an individual’s sacred right, that no matter what the cost, it must be preserved," he explained. "And when I say 'sacralized,' I mean that we make it seem almost as if it detracts from human dignity, or the human good, simply to say that we need to have some reasonable limit on these things. To say something is sacralized is to say it’s almost taken out of any possibility for conversation."

I would say that saying guns are "sacralized" is blasphemous.

Will he do what Archbishop Gomez does and refuse to give Communion to those in Congress who "sacralize" guns? Would a bold move like that show that it is impossible for someone to call himself "pro-life" if he does nothing to stop our American carnage, our American disgrace?

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟828,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Yeah, well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

FTwrNarWYAM_cIr

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Will he do what Archbishop Gomez does and refuse to give Communion to those in Congress who "sacralize" guns? Would a bold move like that show that it is impossible for someone to call himself "pro-life" if he does nothing to stop our American carnage, our American disgrace?

He can if he wants to politicize his position of religious leadership... (guessing that's probably frowned upon).

We've heard of stunts like these coming from other Bishops and Priests when they refuse to give communion to pro-choice politicians. It's in poor taste in those cases, and I would say it's in poor taste in this circumstance as well.

Mainly, because much like with the pro-choice vs pro-life public discourse, guns is an issue where there's nuance as well.

...and one individual determining what the "cut-off" is for how pro-choice or how pro-gun a person is allowed to be before it "crosses a line" (based exclusively off of their own personal political opinions) seems like an abuse of power and nobody I'd want to put my trust in.

But then again, what do I know...I go hiking and do photography on Sunday mornings.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,385.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree (with Pope Francis) that Communion should not be withheld for political reasons.

But Bishop Flores' bold message should serve as a wake-up call to Catholics who approve of Archbishop Gomez' actions because it's the only 'special circumstance' they can conceive of.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Do you mind posting what website that picture comes from......just so we can keep things in perspective.......

The photo could have come from any one of a number of websites which have published copies of a series of photos taken by Italian photographer Gabriele Galimberti for his book 'The Ameriguns'. They are real photos of real US gun owners with their guns.

This is from Galimberti's website:

Photographer Gabriele Galimberti has travelled to every corner of the United States, from New York City to Honolulu, to meet proud gun-owners, and to see their firearms collections. He has photographed people and guns in their homes and neighbourhoods, including locations where no one would expect to find such collections. These, often unsettling, portraits, along with the accompanying stories of the owners and their firearms which are based on interviews, provide an uncommon and unexpected insight into what today is really represented by the institution of the Second Amendment
Gabriele Galimberti – Photographer
OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you mind posting what website that picture comes from......just so we can keep things in perspective.......

I've seen that pic before...

That particular picture linked came from piece called "Ameriguns" by an author/photographer named Gabriele Galimberti who traveled the US to find the most "over the top" private gun collections in the country to prove a point...stemming from a facebook search in a gun enthusiasts group.

TOM LEONARD: Shockingly, there are more guns in the U.S. than people | Daily Mail Online

...but a look at the actual stats would suggest that the people shown in her work are "outliers", and to my knowledge, none of the people featured have actually committed and crimes with them.

According to the estimates
Guns in private hands in the US:

About 72 million people in the US are gun owners...so even if it was a perfect split, that would equate to about 5-6 guns per gun owner...and obviously it's not a perfect breakdown.

When you look at the average ownership stats for the gun owner demographic.

Two-thirds of gun owners say they own more than one gun, including 29% who own five or more guns. About seven-in-ten say they own a handgun or pistol (72%), while 62% own a rifle and 54% own a shotgun. Among those who own a single gun, most (62%) say that gun is a handgun or pistol, while far fewer say they own a rifle (22%) or a shotgun (16%).

So while they purposely tried to show picture that would be "alarming", the actual reality is most people can't fill a deck with their gun collection.

And the number owned by a single person is largely irrelevant and it more for "effect" than anything else. It's not as if a bad guy can carry and operate 100 guns at once.

If a nutjob shoots up a place, is it really all that relevant whether they had 0 or 100 more guns at home? Nope.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,385.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There are often displays of family Christmas cards where every family member is holding an AR-15 or long gun of some sort. Kind of confuses me because Christ is the Prince of Peace and these cards seem more like they're celebrating the gods of war.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,011,749.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Why isn't that kid on the bike wearing a helmet? Aren't the parents concerned about the danger?

He has a bullet proof vest on though....o_O

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
'I’m sick of hearing it': Catholic bishop slams 'sacralizing' gun ownership while children die (msn.com)
Bishop Daniel Flores, Brownsville:

So logic has failed and now trying to make gun ownership a sin is going to be the next attempt? Sorry but there is nothing comparable about someone who endorses and encourages murder of an innocent child and someone who owns a gun but nice attempt at a new argument.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The photo could have come from any one of a number of websites which have published copies of a series of photos taken by Italian photographer Gabriele Galimberti for his book 'The Ameriguns'. They are real photos of real US gun owners with their guns.

This is from Galimberti's website:

Photographer Gabriele Galimberti has travelled to every corner of the United States, from New York City to Honolulu, to meet proud gun-owners, and to see their firearms collections. He has photographed people and guns in their homes and neighbourhoods, including locations where no one would expect to find such collections. These, often unsettling, portraits, along with the accompanying stories of the owners and their firearms which are based on interviews, provide an uncommon and unexpected insight into what today is really represented by the institution of the Second Amendment
Gabriele Galimberti – Photographer
OB
I did notice the author makes no claim that the large quantity of firearms are owned by a single person just to keep things in perspective. That is not to say they couldn't be however they could be collectibles. So as long as they are legally owned I don't see an issue with it. As I said just to keep things in perspective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,205,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are often displays of family Christmas cards where every family member is holding an AR-15 or long gun of some sort. Kind of confuses me because Christ is the Prince of Peace and these cards seem more like they're celebrating the gods of war.

If the only purpose a gun had was war, and there weren't other non-war purposes for them (IE: hunting and recreation), and if Christmas was a holiday exclusively celebrated by religious folks, then I could see why that would be odd.

It's non uncommon for people to inject their own personal hobbies into the Christmas cards they send out.

I get a ridiculous cards from my Aunt every year for Christmas. And despite Christ not being the "Prince of owning 5 cats and wearing a candy cane sweater", that apparently has no bearing on her selection of photo for her yearly Christmas cards.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,089,385.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If I had a personal hobby that could as easily be interpreted differently (I won't say wrongly, because I disagree that any of them are doing it to illustrate their 'hobby' or 'recreation') I wouldn't put it on a photo Christmas card.

• Winner
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So logic has failed and now trying to make gun ownership a sin is going to be the next attempt? Sorry but there is nothing comparable about someone who endorses and encourages murder of an innocent child and someone who owns a gun but nice attempt at a new argument.
Nobodies encouraging the murder of innocent children. Most abortions that happen in the first trimester. That isn't a child at all. Late term is very expensive, and something is seriously wrong with baby or mother. This should be mother and medical professionals' business. We can't even take care of the born. Maybe we should try harder to take care of the born. More education/ sex education, more access to BC, more mental help, better healthcare, make it harder for people to get on school campus. Train cops to do their job. Push the age to 21 for getting a gun. But this last school shooting. I blame cops, Texas school system for making the school have too easy access to kids, and the gun man. And who ever failed the gunman.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I did notice the author makes no claim that the large quantity of firearms are owned by a single person just to keep things in perspective. That is not to say they couldn't be however they could be collectibles. So as long as they are legally owned I don't see an issue with it. As I said just to keep things in perspective.

I'm glad you approve. Now I can sleep peacefully. ;)

OB

• Haha
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0