Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
your best bet would be the services, especially looking at the prayers.

but if you want some more systematic books I recommend the Fount of Wisdom by St John of Damascus, or These Truths We Hold from St Tikhon's.

• Agree
Reactions: WadeTheophan
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
your best bet would be the services, especially looking at the prayers.

but if you want some more systematic books I recommend the Fount of Wisdom by St John of Damascus, or These Truths We Hold from St Tikhon's.
Thanks for the titles. I should have said I have the Hapgood servicebook and have catechized myself with it. And took the class at my parish. Was looking for something more systematic, as you said.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What about St. Cyril of Jerusalem's Catechism (I think there are two versions, with one being abridged?) or St. Philaret of Moscow?

I wasn't able to really judge them when I read them, as to completeness, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Fr. Hopko's series is great and also free online! The Orthodox Faith

Another book that does get overlooked is "The Law of God" by Fr. Seraphim Slobodskoi. My godparents gave it to me at my chrismation. Part of it covers Orthodox theology, liturgics, etc; and, part of it goes over the Gospels and explains them in an Orthodox light.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Fr. Hopko's series is great and also free online! The Orthodox Faith

Another book that does get overlooked is "The Law of God" by Fr. Seraphim Slobodskoi. My godparents gave it to me at my chrismation. Part of it covers Orthodox theology, liturgics, etc; and, part of it goes over the Gospels and explains them in an Orthodox light.
Ah, the Law of God, that's the one I was thinking of that was free on Kindle Unlimited at one point, I think. :)

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ah, the Law of God, that's the one I was thinking of that was free on Kindle Unlimited at one point, I think. :)
The particular copy I have carries a lot of sentimental value. My godmother wrote something in it and my godfather, who has since passed, signed it. That copy is going nowhere.

One of the things that I love about it is that it's translated into an easy to read English, but still very articulate. Highly underutilized.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Abel Gkiouzelis

The Smile of God in your heart
Feb 25, 2016
Greece
Visit site
✟30,904.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox