Cat Help!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Rain_

Jun 24, 2003
✟284.00
Faith
Other Religion
He hadn't shown any symptoms until about 6 hours before... but he'd had medication for upper respiratory infections...

He lost control of his legs (one at a time) and then slowly just died (this all happened in about 4 hours)

I'm just worried that my new kitty may catch whatever he had (we got one to replace him)

Upvote 0
Awww, poor Rain! :hug: Sorry!

You might also consider calling a veterinarian (sp?) and explain his symptoms and about the medicine. That might give you an idea.

Have you buried him yet?

When you say he lost control of his legs, do you mean he couldn't move them at all, or he had no VOLUNTARY control of them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
_Rain_ said:
He hadn't shown any symptoms until about 6 hours before... but he'd had medication for upper respiratory infections...

He lost control of his legs (one at a time) and then slowly just died (this all happened in about 4 hours)

I'm just worried that my new kitty may catch whatever he had (we got one to replace him)

I am so sorry for your loss, Rain. I do cat rescues, and even though we have so many in and out of our home - and some have been in horrible condition - it's always really hard to lose one.

Was your kitty indoors or outdoors? I don't mean to upset you, dear sister, but it almost sounds like it could be a poisoning of some sort. Beyond that, there IS a virus going around right now that takes them very quickly; I lost three to it recently, one right after the other - by the time they presented symptoms, it was too late to help them though we tried anyway.

It may also have been kidney failure. Mostly you see this in older animals, but when their immune system is compromised, it can affect their kidneys to the extent they shut down. When that happens it release a toxin into their bloodstream, and it does affect the use of their legs.

Please, if you haven't already done so, take your new kitty to the vet and get him vaccinated as soon as you can. And it's okay to pray for our pets! Ask the Lord to keep your new kitty healthy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LadyBird

Dance Me to the End of Love
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟17,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
im so sorry to hear about your loss. i would be very upset as well. did you ever let your kitten outside? or in the garage...perhaps he got into something poisonous maybe...because i know that when animals are poisened weird things happen to them...and they go from perfectly healthy to deathly ill in a day or in a matter of hours.

Upvote 0

_Rain_

Jun 24, 2003
✟284.00
Faith
Other Religion
He never went outside; but I went back to the vet with my new kitten and talked to him a lot about it, I was very conserned that my kitten might catch it just from being in the house!

He told me that more than likely the cat was VERY sick when I got him and the vet I went to didn't realize just how sick he was, but that his death was also an allergic reaction to the medicine he was taking (which in cats if bad enough is just li ke a poisoning :(!)

My new kitten is very healthy! Well, she has a bit of a cold, but she's on anti biotic for it!! She's frisky and curious and eats like a horse!

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
_Rain_ said:
He told me that more than likely the cat was VERY sick when I got him...

That's what I was thinking when I read this thread. One time I got a kitten from a shelter; she seemed very healthy. She even climbed up the cage fence and looked me in the eye and screamed! It was like she was saying "Take me home!".

So I took her home, and she seemed fine for a day or two. Then she began to act like she didn't feel good, so I took her to the vet. He said she had distemper(I think), and he put her to sleep. Then he told me to go home and wash everything that she had touched, so my other cats wouldn't get sick too.

That was the last time I got a shelter cat. :sigh:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.