Uk
✟116,743.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
We Orthodox are a little uncomfortable with statutes, I think, which is one reason I made this thread. There may be a gradation of what's going on when you go from two dimensional written (painted) icons, to carvings, to bas-relief, to statues.

That's true in the West, but as mentioned above, that's not how He is portrayed within Orthodoxy. But the accuracy of what He looked like is not of primary importance. What's very important is that God became man, so we should portray that truth. It separates Christianity from Judaism and Islam and every other religion. "Stuff got real" as the kids say. :) He was real like us, became matter like us, became human like us, because He loves us. It's a foundational truth of our faith, and that's why iconography of the Lord is important.

Oh yeah I know well how that goes. But technically there is a rule prohibiting speaking against people's beliefs within each of the different "Christian Communities" forums. But I don't mind debating a little here since you're not being obnoxious or anything. :)
Fair points.
He is the image of the invisible God. Amen.
I should have more respect for other people’s faith. I’ve been decieved by religion, so always pounce when I see it. stumbled across this thread, as I have other orthodox threads. Will try to excersise some self control and avoid in future. The Lord bless you and keep you... :)

Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟116,743.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
An Orthodox icon of Christ:

christ-icon.jpg
Hair’s a bit ginger

Upvote 0

Jesus4Madrid

Orthodox Christian
Jul 21, 2011
✟90,072.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟864,468.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I heard the recent interview by Father Steven Damick with Jonathan Pageau. The Inevitability of Re-enchantment - Jonathan Pageau (Part 1) - Orthodox Engagement | Ancient Faith Ministries
It sort of blew my mind. He is one of the most original thinkers I have heard in years. And totally Orthodox, even though he does say "Of course Santa Claus exists" (it is a complex argument).
Thanks for that. That was a good talk. I listened to several other talks of his. Very interesting stuff. Shades of Marshall McCluhan.

Upvote 0

Irminhart

Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2021
New England
✟25,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all. I'm a bit troubled on what I should do. I'm buying hand-painted icons from Blessed Mart soon. I would like to also buy a very nice orthodox wall cross that is made of 100% beeswax. It's from a "Christian" shop on etsy, but I'm concerned if their work is ok. I've messaged them asking why this cross has the low bar in the wrong direction recently. Quite Skeptical.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210219-174455~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210219-174455~2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Irminhart

Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2021
New England
✟25,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you pray to icons?

Here are two videos of Fr. Spyridon Bailey, a reputable Russian Orthodox Priest speaking about Icons. Orthodox Christians do not worship Icons, wood and paint. They venerate the person/image it depicts.

Upvote 0

Irminhart

Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2021
New England
✟25,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Off topic question. When I created my account the other night, I chose Christian instead of Eastern Orthodoxy because I have yet to be baptized or chrismated into the church. Do you have to be baptized orthodox to have the EO denomination?

• Useful
Reactions: Psalm 27
Upvote 0

Irminhart

Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2021
New England
✟25,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
you should change to EO when you are received into the Church.

we have had issues in the past with catechumens speaking on behalf of the Church, being wrong, and causing problems.
Understandable. My priest is planning on having me baptized by Pascha.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums