Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Most teenage gangs dont like being interupted in their business by some casual passing outsider who interferes with what they are doing.

who cares what they like?

Upvote 0

susanann

Senior Veteran
Nov 5, 2005
✟13,020.00
Faith
Christian
I live in Baltimore. Heard of it? I interfere all the time, deliberately. I don't agree with the hiding one's head in the sand that is so rampant here. I get in the faces of drug dealers, and nasty characters all the time.

.........just what we need, a self-appointed vigilante.

deathwish30x40.jpg

Upvote 0

ladyt28

God's Grace Fills My Life
Jun 12, 2007
Michigan
✟37,455.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Responding to brutality against another human being is not acting as a vigilante as far as I'm concerned. All I know is that if I were ever to get attacked, I PRAY that someone like brinny is nearby to help me. And when I have had the opportunity to step in and stop brutality against my fellow human being, if I go down then so be it - at least I went down because I cared and tried to stop what is wrong.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,744.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
1. Who said nobody called 911? Somebody must have called, the police eventually did get there. Just how fast do you expect the police to arrive on the scene?

2. Who is stupid enough, to get out of his car and fight a bunch of teenagers?

3. If you dont see the beginning of the fight, how do you know who was the bad guy, or if there are any good guys?

4. How do you know what everyone who is fighting, is armed with, and therefore, what weapons you yourself should bring with you to the fight?

5. Can you afford defending yourself against a lawsuit(s), or criminal prosecution, if you hurt or kill someone?

Good point. I am stupid enough to get involved. I did once break up a street fight, but I did not just wade in. I was able to find out and convince the one who was winning that he had won and it was time to stop.

These are rarely as easy to decide as most on the net seem to make it, even for those like me who have little hesitation to get involved.

No Kitty Genoveese on my block. At home I've got backup.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

deathwish30x40.jpg

I don't carry or own a gun or a weapon...I also 'interfered' when an elderly man in a wheelchair, who'just had his social security money for the month stolen, and he was so frustrated and in despair he was determined to roll him and his wheelchair right smack into heavy traffic. I got hold of his handle and just pulled him back out of traffic.

Interesting point of view you have. But thanks, i needed a laugh tonight :p

Upvote 0

susanann

Senior Veteran
Nov 5, 2005
✟13,020.00
Faith
Christian
..I also 'interfered' when an elderly man in a wheelchair, who'just had his social security money for the month stolen, and he was so frustrated and in despair he was determined to roll him and his wheelchair right smack into heavy traffic. I got hold of his handle and just pulled him back out of traffic.

I don't carry or own a gun or a weapon

No one is arguing against preventing people in wheelchairs from getting hit by a car. All of us can, and will, do that.

What is wrong, usually illegal, usually stupid, and potentially very dangerous to society, is for you to try to act like a cop, pretend to be an interfering superhero, potentially, and eventually, making a bad situation much worse because you are not trained nor authorized nor armed to protect yourself in any except the most casual circumstance.

You are not a police officer, you are not given any permissions nor sanctions by our society to behave like a police officer, you have no authority, no training, no backup, and you are defenseless in any but the most harmless situation. It is only a matter of time before you make a huge and bloody mess for our trained police and our doctors and nurses to handle.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
No one is arguing against preventing people in wheelchairs from getting hit by a car. All of us can, and will, do that.

What is wrong, usually illegal, usually stupid, and potentially very dangerous to society, is for you to try to act like a cop, pretend to be an interfering superhero, potentially, and eventually, making a bad situation much worse because you are not trained nor authorized nor armed to protect yourself in any except the most casual circumstance.

You are not a police officer, you are not given any permissions nor sanctions by our society to behave like a police officer, you have no authority, no training, no backup, and you are defenseless in any but the most harmless situation. It is only a matter of time before you make a huge and bloody mess for our trained police and our doctors and nurses to handle.

once again you amaze me with where your focus is drawn to and your intention to expend 'correction' to those 'reacting' to horror, instead of those commiting the horror. You're perception and attitude is more dangerous than those thugs wantonly beating the homeless man. If our forefathers had that perception and line of reasoning we'd still be under British rule and not celebrating our independence every July 4th.

Upvote 0

ladyt28

Jun 12, 2007
Michigan
✟37,455.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

So if someone breaks into your home while you are there, you better not pull out a gun and try to actually DO anything - after all, everything you said above would apply to that too.:doh:

Upvote 0

susanann

Senior Veteran
Nov 5, 2005
✟13,020.00
Faith
Christian
So if someone breaks into your home while you are there, you better not pull out a gun and try to actually DO anything - after all, everything you said above would apply to that too.

No it wouldnt.

Self-defense is entirely different.

No one is arguing against self defense.

What is wrong, is incompetent, untrained, uncontrolled, unarmed people trying to appoint themselves as unlicensed unauthorized vigilante policemen, taking the law into their own hands, involving themselves in other peoples business, usually making any situation much worse, and without our society having any safeguards against them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
susanann said:
2. Who is stupid enough, to get out of his car and fight a bunch of teenagers?
They could have went to the building where this poor man staggered to and got help.

3. If you dont see the beginning of the fight, how do you know who was the bad guy, or if there are any good guys?
How cares who started the fight,What someone down on the ground and cant defend them self, then fight has gone to far and needs to end.

susanann said:
4. How do you know what everyone who is fighting, is armed with, and therefore, what weapons you yourself should bring with you to the fight?
That's what cell phones are for,Did anyone use one that would be better then nothing.They could have tried to fine help,honk the horn,yell at them would have been better then doing nothing.
5. Can you afford defending yourself against a lawsuit(s), or criminal prosecution, if you hurt or kill someone?
I would be more afraid of a lawsuit or criminal prosecuted for being at the scene of a crime and doing nothing.

Upvote 0

susanann

Senior Veteran
Nov 5, 2005
✟13,020.00
Faith
Christian
How cares who started the fight,What someone down on the ground and cant defend them self, then fight has gone to far and needs to end.

..........because you dont know who the bad guy is, the one on the ground, or the one on top.

The one on the ground might be the one that deserves to be on the ground.

The one on the ground might be a violent criminal attacker who tried to rob, hurt, rape, or kill the person on top.

If the one on the ground is a felon, then assisting him would make you an accessory after the fact to whatever crime he might have committed, robbery, rape, murder, etc? YOu could end up in prison for life if you assist a murderer.

The person on top might be a police officer, or even a group of plain clothes police officers who had just caught the bad guy now on the ground.

IF you dont see the begining, and dont know all the facts, then you dont know what you are doing, which is why you are not a trained competent police officer.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
..........because you dont know who the bad guy is, the one on the ground, or the one on top.

The one on the ground might be a violent criminal attacker who tried to rob, hurt, rape, or kill the person on top.

If the one on the ground is a felon, then assisting him would make you an accessory after the fact to whatever crime he might have committed, robbery, rape, murder, etc? YOu could end up in prison for life if you assist a murderer.

The person on top might be a police officer, or even a group of plain clothes police officers who had just caught the bad guy now on the ground.

IF you dont see the begining, and dont know all the facts, then you dont know what you are doing, which is why you are not a trained competent police officer.
The point is when they have the bad guy down they shouldn't be beating the guy still,They should be holding him down and trying yell for help,not still beating him.The people driving buy this should have notice something wasn't right ether way.Should had definitely done something about it even just call the police.And even cops don't have the right to beat someone to death.

Upvote 0

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

All of those seem like more agruements to call 911, not just slow your car down and watch the event like it's a movie set. And, if possible, not just call 911, but actually pull your car over, keeping the engine running, calling 911, and documenting the event, and staying until uniformed police investigators arrive.

There's no reason to continue to beat a person once they are down. That's illegal, that's wrong, even if the person being beaten is a seriel killer. If the person is restrained there is no reason to continue beating that person.

And there's a good chance that the person being beaten isn't a criminal at all, but just an innocent person getting mugged or raped.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Considering that it was a bunch of teenagers. someone with even diminished intelligence could conclude that it wasn't cops beating down a homeless guy. Stop defending these cowards okay, and stop defending the spineless people there who did nothing to help the homeless guy at all. Then of course, I'm pretty sure you defend those who did nothing while that toddlerwas getting beat as well yeah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

susanann

Senior Veteran
Nov 5, 2005
✟13,020.00
Faith
Christian
Considering that it was a bunch of teenagers. someone with even diminished intelligence could conclude that it wasn't cops beating down a homeless guy.

You are being ridiculous.

Nobody passing by/driving by in a car would even know the guy on the ground is "homeless".

If you want to play "cop", then get a law enforcement degree, and get employed as a police officer.

Upvote 0

susanann

Senior Veteran
Nov 5, 2005
✟13,020.00
Faith
Christian
There's no reason to continue to beat a person once they are down.

That's illegal, that's wrong, even if the person being beaten is a seriel killer. If the person is restrained there is no reason to continue beating that person.

And there's a good chance that the person being beaten isn't a criminal at all, but just an innocent person getting mugged or raped.

Yes there is, just because an attacker is down, does not mean he will stay down, he can get up again and attack you again.

Even the police continue to beat people they apprehend until they finally get handcuffs on them, some even keep beating them after the cuffs are on - interfering with a police officer, any police officer, because he is hitting someone who is on the ground, will get you into a boatload of trouble.

I agree that there is a good chance that the person being beaten is not a criminal, but to stake your life on which of 2 strangers is actually a non-criminal (if any), and entering into the fight yourself, is totally stupid.

IF you drive by and see two teenage gangs fighting, which side are you going to join in, and how are you going to decide which ones YOU are going to beat?

Upvote 0

ladyt28

Jun 12, 2007
Michigan
✟37,455.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ok susanann, we get it - you don't believe in lifting a finger while others believe in helping our fellow brother. You have your reasons for not helping while others here are not going to stand by and let someone suffer without trying to help. No one has called you any names while you have called at least one member here a vigilante.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if I am attacked, I PRAY that I have at least one person around who has the compassion to try to help me.

Upvote 0

Natural1

New Christian
May 20, 2008
Ohio, USA
✟7,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/deathwish30x40.jpg

So trying to take back control of your community (nonviolently) is vigilantism?
No wonder the world is in its current state...between the "stop snitching" mentality and "citizens" who make every excuse in the book not to do their part (and denegrate those who do). I suspect the latter criticise those who actually do something to justify their own inaction to themselves.

Upvote 0

Natural1

New Christian
May 20, 2008
Ohio, USA
✟7,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

If you know any police officers, nearly all will tell you they appreciate community involvement in trying to stop crime. After all, they are rarely on the scene when a crime is in progress...their main task is to clean up the mess after the fact and hunt down the guilty party involved.

Upvote 0