Cars slow to watch as teens beat homeless man to death

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
CLEVELAND — A group of teenagers beat a homeless man to death as passers-by slowed to watch the attack, some of which was caught on videotape, police said.

Anthony Waters, 42, suffered a lacerated spleen and broken ribs during the attack Wednesday night and died at a hospital, police said.

Fox News: 'Pack mentality has to stop' -- police commander

How do you watch somebody getting beaten to death and not at the very least call 9-1-1?

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
CLEVELAND — A group of teenagers beat a homeless man to death as passers-by slowed to watch the attack, some of which was caught on videotape, police said.

Anthony Waters, 42, suffered a lacerated spleen and broken ribs during the attack Wednesday night and died at a hospital, police said.

Fox News: 'Pack mentality has to stop' -- police commander

How do you watch somebody getting beaten to death and not at the very least call 9-1-1?

It's called more worried about yourself and not really giving a damn about another person; particularly if that person is homeless. Very tragic indeed, and I'm reminded of the incident when no one helped the toddler a couple of weeks ago who was beaten to death by a man and there were bystanders there. I'm ashamed at my fellow humans, when stuff like this happens.

Upvote 0

susanann

Senior Veteran
Nov 5, 2005
✟13,020.00
Faith
Christian

1. Who said nobody called 911? Somebody must have called, the police eventually did get there. Just how fast do you expect the police to arrive on the scene?

2. Who is stupid enough, to get out of his car and fight a bunch of teenagers?

3. If you dont see the beginning of the fight, how do you know who was the bad guy, or if there are any good guys?

4. How do you know what everyone who is fighting, is armed with, and therefore, what weapons you yourself should bring with you to the fight?

5. Can you afford defending yourself against a lawsuit(s), or criminal prosecution, if you hurt or kill someone?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SallyNow

Blame it on the SOCK GNOMES!
May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
At the very least someone could have pulled over, with their engine running, called 911, and stayed on or nearby the scene until the police arrived.

People have video phones; someone else could have pulled over, pulled out their phone, called 911, and stayed on or nearby the scene documenting the crime until the police got there.

Of course, these things have been studied, and it's shown that there's a reason heros are heros... they really are a special breed, amazing strong, compassionate humans. Many of the rest of us are, actually, pretty wimpy when it comes to facing down evil.

1. Who said nobody called 911? Somebody must have called, the police eventually did get there. Just how fast do you expect the police to arrive on the scene?

3. If you dont see the beginning of the fight, how do you know who was the bad guy, or if there are any good guys?

4. How do you know what everyone who is fighting, is armed with, and therefore, what weapons you yourself should bring with you to the fight?

5. Can you afford defending yourself against a lawsuit(s), or criminal prosecution, if you hurt or kill someone?

Those are a lot of excuses for "a human life just isn't worth the inconvienence".

This didn't happen in a fascist or dictorial state where the teenagers were in an army uniform and the police would have come and beaten the witnesses or even put them in jail.

This happened in America where the government and legal system would recognise that the teenagers were commiting a crime, and the bystanders were doing the humane, compassionate thing in waiting for help to arrive. It just shows that most of us aren't as strong as we think we are, but some, thankfully, are.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married

A similar situation happened to me a week after I got out of boot camp. About 7 teenagers started beating up on a homeless guy. I started running towards them screaming and they took off running. It's not that hard to be completely honest.

Usually when you see a group of people standing around kicking someoene, common sense would say who was the bad and who was the good guy.

That's easy. Every car should have a tire iron, so there's your weapon right there. A few cracks across the knees, or just making yourself seem larger seems to work wonders.

Well, that's the problem. It's all about me and not saving another human being. Do doctors worry about lawsuits and the stuff when they try to save someone? How about firemen or other's in the hero business?

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Heroes, those people who step in when nobody else does, don't think about the above...they instantaneously get to the bottom line of the situation...caring about the person being victimized.....those who did this are cowards. I'm almost 5'1", weigh about 120 lbs. I would've gotten out of the car and/or ran the car over to where these cowards were wantonly seeking innocent blood. My adrenaline would've taken over. They're cowards. As the Bible says...the wicked flee when nothing is chasing them....they are of no consequence. In Proverbs it says to give no honor to the wicked...this means not being scared of them. The Bible also says the righteous are as bold as lions.

Lawsuit and criminal whatever? I'd use it as a 'first' to change those insane laws that protect wanton violence like this. People bow to fear like it's a god. It's time to take a stand. Lift our heads. Speak out for those who cannot speak for themselves. Defend the defenseless. In Isaiah it says when we do this, our light will rise in obscurity.

"No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear." ~Edmund Burke

Last edited:
Reactions: Yusuf Evans
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Truly Horrible.
Tenka said:
That artical was very interesting,Hopefully that's the case.
susanann said:
The person that called 911 was more than likely the employees of the towing company that he had to staggered too.
FOXNews said:
Police said the videotape shows passing cars slowing to watch three teens attack Waters until he staggered into the parking lot, where he was assisted by employees of the towing company.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
People in the cars were probably shocked, and said:
"Someone should do something."

That kind of thinking is deadly.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~Edmund Burke

Upvote 0

susanann

Senior Veteran
Nov 5, 2005
✟13,020.00
Faith
Christian

1. Usually when you see a group of people standing around kicking someoene, common sense would say who was the bad and who was the good guy.

2. That's easy. Every car should have a tire iron, so there's your weapon right there. A few cracks across the knees, or just making yourself seem larger seems to work wonders.

3. Well, that's the problem. It's all about me and not saving another human being. Do doctors worry about lawsuits and the stuff when they try to save someone? How about firemen or other's in the hero business?

1. Not always. We have even seen, over the years, many times, a group of cops beating up a civilian, a group of relatves beating up a child rapist, etc. We have also seen neighborhood vigilante patrols who confront violent criminals. The bottom line, is that you have no idea what started the fight, or who started it. Legally, if you pick the wrong side, you yourself could not only be beaten and shot, but face criminal charges if it was a felon, or drug dealer, or child rapist who was being beaten and you took the side of the molestor/criminal/druggie. Anyone driving by and seeing a fight in progress, cannot possibly have enough knowlege to hurt anyone involved on either side, and if you dont end up dead, you will spend the next month in jail. Unless you are a police officer, you have no jurisdiction.

2. Dont bring a tire iron to a knife fight, or to a gun fight. That is just the plainest stupidist thing to do.

3. Doctors carry a ton of liability insurance. Yes, doctors do get sued. Yes, doctors do worry about being sued and would not even practice medicine anymore if they could not get malpractice insurance.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally Posted by Eazy E

1. Usually when you see a group of people standing around kicking someoene, common sense would say who was the bad and who was the good guy.

2. That's easy. Every car should have a tire iron, so there's your weapon right there. A few cracks across the knees, or just making yourself seem larger seems to work wonders.

3. Well, that's the problem. It's all about me and not saving another human being. Do doctors worry about lawsuits and the stuff when they try to save someone? How about firemen or other's in the hero business?

1. Not always. We have even seen, over the years, many times, a group of cops beating up a civilian, a group of relatves beating up a child rapist, etc. We have also seen neighborhood vigilante patrols who confront violent criminals. The bottom line, is that you have no idea what started the fight, or who started it. Legally, if you pick the wrong side, you yourself could not only be beaten and shot, but face criminal charges if it was a felon, or drug dealer, or child rapist who was being beaten and you took the side of the molestor/criminal/druggie. Anyone driving by and seeing a fight in progress, cannot possibly have enough knowlege to hurt anyone involved on either side, and if you dont end up dead, you will spend the next month in jail. Unless you are a police officer, you have no jurisdiction.

2. Dont bring a tire iron to a knife fight, or to a gun fight. That is just the plainest stupidist thing to do.

3. Doctors carry a ton of liability insurance. Yes, doctors do get sued. Yes, doctors do worry about being sued and would not even practice medicine anymore if they could not get malpractice insurance.

I suppose interfering is a risk. I've heard many of my co-workers say people need to mind their own business. Right where i live, in December, on a bus, a group of middle schoolers, bullied, attacked, and beat a female adult in 'stages'...the most profound was when, the adult female attempted to get off the bus, and did, and was knocked into the gutter, and as she was lying in the gutter, one of the female juveniles pulled the woman's head up by her hair and told one of the males to kick her, and he did, with his heavy boot, he kicked her in the eye socket, fracturing it...their intent was to kill her...until a female adult ran from her house telling them to get off her cuz they were killing her.

r

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Vigilante justice isn't legal. You don't get to take the gang out for a lynching because of something someone allegedly did.
-----------------------
I do understand people being afraid for themselves --especially a group of people who obviously were not afraid to publicly assault someone- but when one is in a vehicle you can pull over call 911 to insure someone is on the way and proceed to make a hell of a lot of noise.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How very sad. :cry: How could people do such a thing to a person? That is just beyond me. I hope these teens are punished severely for their actions but I hope they do not get the death penalty.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

susanann

Senior Veteran
Nov 5, 2005
✟13,020.00
Faith
Christian
I hope these teens are punished severely for their actions but I hope they do not get the death penalty.

If you get a prosecution, and if you get a guilty verdict, the average actual time served in prison, in the United States, for murder, for adults, is 96 months.

Juveniles are given much lesser punishment.

Therefore, if they are "severely punished", it will be much less than 8 years, and then they will be out and about again, maybe released into your own local neighborhood where YOU live.

Upvote 0

susanann

Senior Veteran
Nov 5, 2005
✟13,020.00
Faith
Christian
I suppose interfering is a risk. I've heard many of my co-workers say people need to mind their own business. Right where i live, in December, on a bus, a group of middle schoolers, bullied, attacked, and beat a female adult in 'stages'...the most profound was when, the adult female attempted to get off the bus, and did, and was knocked into the gutter, and as she was lying in the gutter, one of the female juveniles pulled the woman's head up by her hair and told one of the males to kick her, and he did, with his heavy boot, he kicked her in the eye socket, fracturing it...their intent was to kill her...until a female adult ran from her house telling them to get off her cuz they were killing her.

Assault and battery is VERY common.

HOwever, very few assault and batteries ever result in prosecution and conviction.

If the attackers are prosecuted and if they are convicted, they will get substantially less than 33 months.

The average actual time served in prison, for adults, in the United States, for assault, is 33 months.

Juveniles are punished less than adults, esp for simple a assault and battery.

Upvote 0

susanann

Senior Veteran
Nov 5, 2005
✟13,020.00
Faith
Christian
Heroes, those people who step in when nobody else does, don't think about the above...they instantaneously get to the bottom line of the situation...caring about the person being victimized.....

Those are the people who usually get blown away (shot) and we find their bodies on the street the next morning.

Most teenage gangs dont like being interupted in their business by some casual passing outsider who interferes with what they are doing.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally Posted by brinny
Heroes, those people who step in when nobody else does, don't think about the above...they instantaneously get to the bottom line of the situation...caring about the person being victimized.....

Those are the people who usually get blown away (shot) and we find their bodies on the street the next morning.

Most teenage gangs dont like being interupted in their business by some casual passing outsider who interferes with what they are doing.

I live in Baltimore. Heard of it? I interfere all the time, deliberately. I don't agree with the hiding one's head in the sand that is so rampant here. I get in the faces of drug dealers, and nasty characters all the time. It is they that need to go back to the shadows from whence they came. They feed off fear. i suggest they be put on a diet from it...

living in fear is not living, it's existing.

And the laws you speak of? Sounds like they need to be changed, don't they? Sounds like you work in the system....are you gonna put some of that energy and expertise into changing those laws that are useless and make no difference whatsoever? Of course you could just keep goin' with the flow and live out your career not making a notch of a difference whatsoever, and just keep singin' that song of woe...

your choice.

carpe diem.

Upvote 0