Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is going to be an ironic thread. I am going to ask other Christians opinion while talking about whether I should care about what other Christians think.

I get people telling me that I should stop caring how or what other Christians think. They tell me because they will always give me different answers to the same question. I will give an example. When I asked other Christians if they think that it is wrong to obey God out of fear, some Christians would respond by saying that anyone who obeys out of fear is not a true Christian, while other Christians would strongly disagree with that statement. I would not purposely start something, but then sometimes an intense argument will break out among Christians. Another example is when I asked Christians if it is okay for a Christian to have a gun. They end up in a huge argument.

It's hard sometimes going to Christians for advice, but I still do it because I really want to know. But then I feel like I started something without meaning to. In scripture it says that it is an abomination to start a fight among brothers. It is an abomination to God.

But then how can I ask questions or go to other Christians for advice and be assured that it is not going to start a World War 3 among Christians?

Should I just stop caring what they think and try to use my own understanding, or should I continue to ask questions over things I don't understand?

Do I really need to care what other Christians think?

Should I just live the Christian life the way that I see fit? Of Course, I am not talking about breaking God's laws concerning sexuality and how we are supposed to treat humans. But besides breaking not breaking God's law, shouldn't I be free to live like I am truly free?

I still do care what other Christians think. I am just wondering if I should stop. I know I need to care what God thinks. But Scripture isn't always clear to me. And Christians all have a relationship with God, but they don't believe all the same. For example, is it okay for Christians to celebrate Halloween? The Bible isn't clear on this. But if I ask this question there will be different answers, and it may even generate some intense arguments.

The Bible says do not love the world, but at the same time it says everything is permissible. Christians all have different opinions of what it means to be worldly or not worldly.

Last edited:

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
First, merely asking a straightforward question about a matter of Bible interpretation, etc. does not amount to starting an argument. If the people who respond to your question fall into an argument on their own, that is not your doing.

Second, we humans always ask others for advice and help when decisions must be made. This is true when it comes to politics, home repair, travel options, in fact almost anything where the other people are likely to have experience and knowledge that we lack.

There is nothing wrong with this and, by the way, it also has Scriptural support.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
First, merely asking a straightforward question about a matter of Bible interpretation, etc. does not amount to starting an argument. If the people who respond to your question fall into an argument on their own, that is not your doing.

Second, we humans always ask others for advice and help when decisions must be made. This is true when it comes to politics, home repair, travel options, in fact almost anything where the other people are likely to have experience and knowledge that we lack.

There is nothing wrong with this and, by the way, it also has Scriptural support.

Thank you very much

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But then how can I ask questions or go to other Christians for advice and be assured that it is not going to start a World War 3 among Christians?

As Albion says, how others react is not your responsibility.
If the arguments bother you ask in smaller groups, or email selected Christians for there views and for support of there views.

We are supposed to base our opinions on what the scriptures say, however as you know that doesn't stop us having contrary views or holding them vigerously.

Use the internet to research the different views and form your own opinions.

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
As Albion says, how others react is not your responsibility.
If the arguments bother you ask in smaller groups, or email selected Christians for there views and for support of there views.

We are supposed to base our opinions on what the scriptures say, however as you know that doesn't stop us having contrary views or holding them vigerously.

Use the internet to research the different views and form your own opinions.

Thank you

That is helpful. And I should look things up more.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is going to be an ironic thread. I am going to ask other Christians opinion while talking about whether I should care about what other Christians think.

I get people telling me that I should stop caring how or what other Christians think. They tell me because they will always give me different answers to the same question. I will give an example. When I asked other Christians if they think that it is wrong to obey God out of fear, some Christians would respond by saying that anyone who obeys out of fear is not a true Christian, while other Christians would strongly disagree with that statement. I would not purposely start something, but then sometimes an intense argument will break out among Christians. Another example is when I asked Christians if it is okay for a Christian to have a gun. They end up in a huge argument.

It's hard sometimes going to Christians for advice, but I still do it because I really want to know. But then I feel like I started something without meaning to. In scripture it says that it is an abomination to start a fight among brothers. It is an abomination to God.

Should I just stop caring what they think and try to use my own understanding, or should I continue to ask questions over things I don't understand?

Should I just live the Christian life the way that I see fit? Of Course, I am not talking about breaking God's laws concerning sexuality and how we are supposed to treat humans. But besides breaking not breaking God's law, shouldn't I be free to live like I am truly free?

I still do care what other Christians think. I am just wondering if I should stop. I know I need to care what God thinks. But Scripture isn't always clear to me. And Christians all have a relationship with God, but they don't believe all the same. For example, is it okay for Christians to celebrate Halloween? The Bible isn't clear on this. But if I ask this question there will be different answers, and it may even generate some intense arguments.

The Bible says do not love the world, but at the same time it says everything is permissible. Christians all have different opinions of what it means to be worldly or not worldly.

Always have them provide scripture(s) to support their point of view ... then go to His Word yourself ... and see if it is so.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Asking questions and seeking guidance is wise. It might be helpful to find a mentor or three. These would be people who you know have good insight and helpful guidance.

Asking for advice on social media is a crapshoot and should be treated as such. To be frank, who knows how many idiots are going to respond? This post being a prime example. I might be the last person you should be listening to. In fact, as soon as I finish this post I'm going the get the air in my tires changed, because that's just the kind of smart thing I like to do. ;) Grain of salt, my friend.

As far as caring what Christians, in general think, just don't. If people squabble with each other because you asked a question, don't give it a second thought. I know you have a sensitive conscience, but you're also smart. Settle it in you're heart that you can't control others, or their propensity for arguing about every little thing, and let it go.

If you're wise enough to seek guidance from quality people (which you are), you're also wise enough not to give a rip what the rest have to say. I have every confidence you can do this. You're golden. You're smart and have a good heart. Just be discerning. :)

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Asking questions and seeking guidance is wise. It might be helpful to find a mentor or three. These would be people who you know have good insight and helpful guidance.

Asking for advice on social media is a crapshoot and should be treated as such. To be frank, who knows how many idiots are going to respond? This post being a prime example. I might be the last person you should be listening to. In fact, as soon as I finish this post I'm going the get the air in my tires changed, because that's just the kind of smart thing I like to do. ;) Grain of salt, my friend.

As far as caring what Christians, in general think, just don't. If people squabble with each other because you asked a question, don't give it a second thought. I know you have a sensitive conscience, but you're also smart. Settle it in you're heart that you can't control others, or their propensity for arguing about every little thing, and let it go.

If you're wise enough to seek guidance from quality people (which you are), you're also wise enough not to give a rip what the rest have to say. I have every confidence you can do this. You're golden. You're smart and have a good heart. Just be discerning. :)

Thank you very much

That was very encouraging. God bless:)

• Friendly
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,548.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, this particular subforum is supposed to be policed for arguments. If someone begins quarreling with someone else's advice that is given, it should be reported to shut that down.

Outside of here, you really need to play it by ear. There are Christians who don't deserve your consideration and Christians who do. Questions to ask about what they tell you include:

1) Do they have Scripture, in context, to back up their views?
2) Is there other Scripture, in context, that contradicts their views?
3) Do they insist on unbiblical doctrine?
4) What is their character like? Are they kind or toxic to other people? Are they trustworthy, or shifty? Humble or arrogant?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It's fine as long as you check out what is said against Scripture.

Upvote 0