Cardinal Tobin: ‘Synodality’ is Pope Francis’ ‘long-game’ plan to change Catholic Church

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A synodal Church 'can't show up with an imperialist attitude where you claim to have all the answers.'

May 17, 2021 (LifeSiteNews) — U.S. Cardinal Joseph Tobin said that Pope Francis’ “long-game” plan to effect change in the Church — to the point of bringing about “the Church’s own conversion” — will be accomplished through the vehicle of “synodality.”

“Synodality is, in fact, the long-game of Pope Francis,” said Tobin, Archbishop of Newark, during a May 4 Zoom lecture for Loyola University Chicago which was hosting its annual lecture in honor of Cardinal Bernardin in connection with the Hank Center for the Catholic Intellectual Heritage.

Tobin said that synodality is one of the “most misunderstood” phrases in the Francis pontificate.

Continued below.
Cardinal Tobin: ‘Synodality’ is Pope Francis’ ‘long-game’ plan to change Catholic Church

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
A synodal Church 'can't show up with an imperialist attitude where you claim to have all the answers.'

May 17, 2021 (LifeSiteNews) — U.S. Cardinal Joseph Tobin said that Pope Francis’ “long-game” plan to effect change in the Church — to the point of bringing about “the Church’s own conversion” — will be accomplished through the vehicle of “synodality.”

“Synodality is, in fact, the long-game of Pope Francis,” said Tobin, Archbishop of Newark, during a May 4 Zoom lecture for Loyola University Chicago which was hosting its annual lecture in honor of Cardinal Bernardin in connection with the Hank Center for the Catholic Intellectual Heritage.

Tobin said that synodality is one of the “most misunderstood” phrases in the Francis pontificate.

Continued below.
When cardinal Tobin speaks of the plans of pope Francis you can bet that he's on target. And when I read this it looks very much like pope Francis intends to convert us all to some other religion. I'm not going to abandon my Lord for that pottage. No thank you.

How can we engineer synodality to fail to enact their desired changes? Or do we just pray for the second coming? At this point I'd be happy with that.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think many of us have suspected as much.

I've heard arguments for and against it. Like I've heard that national churches are supposed to be more self-governing so long as they remain faithful to the deposit of faith and the Holy See. As in, the Pope is the Supreme Pontiff, but the Church is spread too far and wide for him to concern himself with every jot and tittle of the goings on in the worldwide church.

I think it kind of makes sense, but I also think Cardinal Tobin is right because I think "synodality" is a vehicle to usher in progressive changes because it dismantles the traditional apparatuses that would keep these moves in check.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I think many of us have suspected as much.

I've heard arguments for and against it. Like I've heard that national churches are supposed to be more self-governing so long as they remain faithful to the deposit of faith and the Holy See. As in, the Pope is the Supreme Pontiff, but the Church is spread too far and wide for him to concern himself with every jot and tittle of the goings on in the worldwide church.

I think it kind of makes sense, but I also think Cardinal Tobin is right because I think "synodality" is a vehicle to usher in progressive changes because it dismantles the traditional apparatuses that would keep these moves in check.

Bingo!

I think "synodality" is a vehicle to usher in progressive changes because it dismantles the traditional apparatuses that would keep these moves in check

Upvote 0