Logan City
✟753,940.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I suspect that now cardinal Pell can never be cleared in the court of public opinion.

There'll be other accusers. All we can do is wait for the courts to make their decision.

What's annoying me now is the assumption of guilt as soon as someone is accused. There's a new "scandal" erupting over here in Australia regarding a well known local actor who's been accused of sexual harassment, and some people are taking sides before he's even had a chance to defend himself.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There'll be other accusers. All we can do is wait for the courts to make their decision.

What's annoying me now is the assumption of guilt as soon as someone is accused. There's a new "scandal" erupting over here in Australia regarding a well known local actor who's been accused of sexual harassment, and some people are taking sides before he's even had a chance to defend himself.
Let's just pretend, under a now out of date standard of innocent until proven guilty, that he didn't do anything wrong. But under the new standard, that now can never be proven. He will always have a big dark cloud over him. He's cooked. Even if he didn't do it.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟753,940.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Let's just pretend, under a now out of date standard of innocent until proven guilty, that he didn't do anything wrong. But under the new standard, that now can never be proven. He will always have a big dark cloud over him. He's cooked. Even if he didn't do it.

In the case of Cardinal Pell, he was exonerated once before by a previous hearing way back in 2002. A newspaper article referring to that case can be found here -

Exonerated, not forgotten - smh.com.au

I take the view that if the courts acquit him this time, there won't be any more legal challenges. But the history of these allegations will still hang over his head, and will make his movements within the church subject to more rigorous scrutiny, even if he doesn't deserve such scrutiny. He'll never become Pope for example, even if he had all the personal qualities for that role.

But as our Archbishop once remarked, nobody applies to become a bishop (or I would presume Archbishop, Cardinal or Pope). Others make that decision - you'll never find a Catholic Bishop's job being advertised in Headhunters Inc. George Pell didn't apply to become a Cardinal - others would have made that decision, from coming up with a short list to actually appointing him.

As the Church is a law unto itself in some ways, if he's found innocent, I think he'll fit right back into his Cardinal's robes.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

I am a man...who loves our Lady!
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our God knows the truth. This is very unfortunate for the Cardinal as he surely will never be able to exonerate himself in the eye of the public.

Lord have mercy.

• Winner
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There is a priest in prison for a crime he didn't commit, and that would be just fine with her. Father Gordon McRae is rotting in prison in New Hampshire, abandoned by State and Church, under the craziest of legal circumstances. I am reminded of one little verse from the Bible. Thou shalt not bear false witness. I guess Emily Lindin would never have been exposed to that concept.

See thesestonewalls.com for more information. Or follow Emily Lindin I guess and say he's no big deal in the war against men.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a priest in prison for a crime he didn't commit, and that would be just fine with her.
Yeah - that is how I read her position.
What I found especially egregious was her statement that it was a sacrifice SHE was willing to make. She would not be the one sitting in a jail cell.
Or follow Emily Lindin I guess and say he's no big deal in the war against men.
That is normal feminist tripe.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yeah - that is how I read her position.
What I found especially egregious was her statement that it was a sacrifice SHE was willing to make. She would not be the one sitting in a jail cell.

That is normal feminist tripe.
I am beginning to feel unsettled that this 'Me Too' thing could have been very positive in reacting against abusers of men and women, boys and girls, but is becoming only a thing of liberal feminists against men in general. I do think abusive men do need to be stopped, but men abusing boys needs to be stopped and I don't hear any of that any more from the 'Me Too' movement. Or the fact that women abuse as well. That is getting lost. And the idea that a little collateral damage is no bad thing, that's just evil.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It has also been reported that, while Cardinal Pell could have stayed in the Vatican, he voluntarily went back to Australia to face the charges. He has not been asked to resign his Vatican post, but his wings have been clipped and they're just waiting for his term to end so they can go back to pre-reform tactics.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It has also been reported that, while Cardinal Pell could have stayed in the Vatican, he voluntarily went back to Australia to face the charges. He has not been asked to resign his Vatican post, but his wings have been clipped and they're just waiting for his term to end so they can go back to pre-reform tactics.
Not sure who the 'they' is but presuming those who do shady financial deals.

Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am beginning to feel unsettled that this 'Me Too' thing could have been very positive in reacting against abusers of men and women, boys and girls, but is becoming only a thing of liberal feminists against men in general. I do think abusive men do need to be stopped, but men abusing boys needs to be stopped and I don't hear any of that any more from the 'Me Too' movement. Or the fact that women abuse as well. That is getting lost. And the idea that a little collateral damage is no bad thing, that's just evil.
The problem is there will always be a certain subset in society that insist on interjecting themselves into the hot news story of the day. We saw it after 9-11 when throngs of people who were nowhere near the tragedy came out of the woodwork with stories about how they could have been on one of the planes, they almost visited the WTC that day, or how they are all shook up because their best friend's mother's brother's barber's urologist was twenty miles away, but in the flight path and could have been killed had the plane gone down early. We saw it after the Boston Marathon bombing as legions of Doritos-eating couch potatoes who hadn't ran since the last time someone chased them with a salad lamented that they could have been killed because they almost ran in the marathon. When NFL players were dropping like flies over domestic violence allegations, women lined up to wear the victim label because their ex-boyfriends from high school called them fat once, and that's pretty much the same as Ray Rice knocking his wife out in an elevator. And now it's the MeToo campaign, which on it's face is a great thing because it's bringing a lot of things to light that should have never been hidden. But it's also attracting flies in the form of women seeking attention because someone accidentally brushed up against them once on the city bus, so they know what it's like to be Amanda Berry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums