• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Cardinal Pell charged with child sex offences

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Zoii, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli Well-Known Member

+2,615
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Everyone tries to do their job the best they see fit. Some tend to go the 'social justice' route, attempting to form common attitudes and advocating for cultural sways / norms.. I don't walk that way -I take on more of a personal kind of Catholicity.

This thread is not about any previous allegations or convictions, cover ups, etc. It is about Cardinal Pell.

2. Landon Caeli

+2,615
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    We're not talking about "these cases". We're talking about this case involving Cardinal Pell.

(Even pope Francis, with his zero tolerance policies, has expressed doubt concerning this recent allegation)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  3. jazzflower92

jazzflower92 Junior Member

+638
    Non-Denom
    Single
    While there is doubt, there should be the strong dismissive attitude that comes from the Catholic League.

4. Landon Caeli

+2,615
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    The Catholic League is a lay organization comprised of Catholics. They raise some good points, and some questionable ones, IMO -but it's more prudent for me personally to disagree on their specific views than with the organization itself as a whole.

...Others may or may not appreciate the idea of Catholics defending their faith, which is also an acceptable position for Catholics or non-Catholics to hold if they wish.

5. jazzflower92

+638
    Non-Denom
    Single
    It's run by Bill Donhoue who has a history of unpleasant actions. And he has a history of atrocious statements.

6. Landon Caeli

+2,615
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Oh, I know. I'm not a fan of Bill -he is an Islamist apologist, and a bit of a coward when it comes to free speech.

7. jazzflower92

+638
    Non-Denom
    Single
    They have burnt many bridges with the public that their opinion comes off as trying to protect an image, rather than get to the bottom of the problem.

8. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+10,695
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    :doh:

9. Zoii

Zoii Well-Known Member

+3,403
    Australia
    Seeker
    Single
  10. Heavenhome

Heavenhome Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,875
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Yes his appeal has been denied, justice has prevailed.

Of course now Pell wants to go to the high court of appeal.

Whatever happens what he should be concerned about is the Highest Court: the one where he will stand before God giving account of all his deeds.

11. Landon Caeli

+2,615
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Ugh.

12. Landon Caeli

+2,615
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Nice hearing from you again though, Zoii.

I don't come around much anymore, but I did see the email.

...I'll always remember our exchanges.

13. creslaw

creslaw Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,093
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    If Pell's verdict is overturned by the High Court will you still say "justice has prevailed"?

We all need to be concerned about giving account of our deeds before God ... Jesus condemned the self righteous pharisees and commended the repentant sinner.

14. creslaw

creslaw Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,093
    Australia
    Christian
    Married
    The most experienced member of the three judge panel (Justice weinberg) determined the charges were not proven. The two judges denying the appeal relied on the "ring of truth" argument, whereas Weinberg carefully & thoroughly examined the facts of the case in a dissenting report twice as long as that of the other two judges combined report.
    Weinberg was the only judge on the panel with extensive legal experience in criminal cases, the other judges having backgrounds in commercial law. Weinberg not only disagreed with the judges denying Pell's appeal, he voted for acquittal. This case still has a long way to go.

15. Heavenhome

Heavenhome Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,875
    Australia
    Christian
    Single

16. Zoii

Zoii Well-Known Member

+3,403
    Australia
    Seeker
    Single
    :) and how are you

17. Landon Caeli

+2,615
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I'm good. I found a home where Catholics are accepted as equals. I'm doing well.

18. Zoii

Zoii Well-Known Member

+3,403
    Australia
    Seeker
    Single
    aw - Im glad u feel good.