Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The prefect emeritus of the Congregation of the Faith tells the Register that the Catholic Church must not only demand freedom of religion, she must also take up the task of demanding and promoting that politics be given a moral basis.

Cardinal Gerhard Müller is urging U.S. Catholic voters to “test the spirits to see whether they are from God” as they prepare to go to the polls on Nov. 3.

In an exclusive Sept. 22 interview with the Register, the prefect emeritus of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith does not explicitly endorse any one candidate, but he is clear that any Catholic or religious politician who actively promotes abortion and euthanasia is “not eligible for election.”

The cardinal also discusses whether he would give Holy Communion to former Vice President Joe Biden, who supports legalized abortion and same-sex “marriage,” and whether a Catholic can vote in good conscience for President Donald Trump. He also criticizes some in Church media who have an “ideological” prejudice against the “American religious right.”

Cardinal Müller’s comments follow an interviewhe gave earlier this month to Raymond Arroyo of EWTN’s The World Over in which he urged voters to “look for candidates who are in favor of life” — a principle, he said, which is a “basis” and that “you cannot say social justice is more important than life.” The cardinal also said it was “impossible” to equate support for the death penalty and the environment with support for abortion.

Speaking of the responsibility of any citizen in a pluralistic state, the German cardinal said, “I don’t support a candidate in Germany because he is Catholic, but because he has the right understanding of life and human rights. It is better to vote for a good Protestant than for a bad Catholic.”

“We must judge according to what they are doing, not only to their words … to the fruits,” he said.

Continued below.
Cardinal Muller Looks at US Politics, the 2020 Election and Catholic Conscience

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Your post said "The cardinal also said it was “impossible” to equate support for the death penalty and the environment with support for abortion." --

amen to that!!

If someone had said "I want to murder an infant today - but not to worry - because I will be driving an electric car, and I will vote to pass laws against people being put on death row if they murder someone".

We would say that such a person was lacking a lot of key reasoning skills. It would be very difficult to take such a person seriously.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0