Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cardinal Kasper: Homosexual unions are ‘analogous’ to Christian marriage
Matthew Cullinan Hoffman

March 14, 2018 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Cardinal Walter Kasper, whose theology appears to be the chief inspiration for Pope Francis’ doctrine on giving Holy Communion to people living in states of adultery in second marriages, now appears to be claiming that homosexual unions contain “elements” of Christian marriage and are even “analogous” to it in a way that is similar to the relationship between the Catholic Church and non-Catholic Christian communities.

Moreover, the cardinal is attributing his claims to Pope Francis’ apostolic exhortation Amoris Laetitia, despite the fact that the document explicitly contradicts him.

“The pope does not leave room for doubt over the fact that civil marriages, de facto unions, new marriages following a divorce (Amoris Laetitia 291) and unions between homosexual persons (Amoris Laetitia 250s.) do not correspond to the Christian conception of marriage,” writes Kasper in a recently-released book on Amoris Laetitia.

“He says, however, that some of these partners can realize in a partial and analogous way some elements in Christian marriage (Amoris Laetitia292),” continues Kasper.

Kasper compares such relationships with the relationship between the Catholic Church and non-Catholic Christian groups, whom Vatican II sayscontain “elements of sanctification and truth” of the Church.

“Just as outside the Catholic Church there are elements of the true Church, in the above-mentioned unions there can be elements present of Christian marriage, although they do not completely fulfill, or do not yet completely fulfill, the ideal,” adds Kasper.

The statements appear in Kasper’s new booklet, "The Message of Amoris Laetitia: A Fraternal Discussion," which was recently publishedsimultaneously in German and Italian.

In the same work, Kasper also insinuates that Amoris Laetitia opens the way to permit the use of contraception, a practice that is universally condemned in the Scriptures, Church Fathers, and the Papal Magisterium, most recently by Popes Paul VI and John Paul II.

Kasper notes that in Amoris Laetitia, the Pope only “encourages the use of the method of observing the cycles of natural fertility,” and “does not say anything about other methods of family planning and avoids all casuistic definitions.” In the context with the book’s passages on communion for those who commit adultery in second “marriages,” which use similar language, Kasper appears to be claiming that the pope is allowing for exceptions to the Church’s condemnation of artificial birth control.

Remainder here: Cardinal Kasper: Homosexual unions are ‘analogous’ to Christian marriage

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Cardinal Kasper: Homosexual unions are ‘analogous’ to Christian marriage
Matthew Cullinan Hoffman

March 14, 2018 (LifeSiteNews.com) – Cardinal Walter Kasper, whose theology appears to be the chief inspiration for Pope Francis’ doctrine on giving Holy Communion to people living in states of adultery in second marriages, now appears to be claiming that homosexual unions contain “elements” of Christian marriage and are even “analogous” to it in a way that is similar to the relationship between the Catholic Church and non-Catholic Christian communities.

Moreover, the cardinal is attributing his claims to Pope Francis’ apostolic exhortation Amoris Laetitia, despite the fact that the document explicitly contradicts him.

“The pope does not leave room for doubt over the fact that civil marriages, de facto unions, new marriages following a divorce (Amoris Laetitia 291) and unions between homosexual persons (Amoris Laetitia 250s.) do not correspond to the Christian conception of marriage,” writes Kasper in a recently-released book on Amoris Laetitia.

“He says, however, that some of these partners can realize in a partial and analogous way some elements in Christian marriage (Amoris Laetitia292),” continues Kasper.

Kasper compares such relationships with the relationship between the Catholic Church and non-Catholic Christian groups, whom Vatican II sayscontain “elements of sanctification and truth” of the Church.

“Just as outside the Catholic Church there are elements of the true Church, in the above-mentioned unions there can be elements present of Christian marriage, although they do not completely fulfill, or do not yet completely fulfill, the ideal,” adds Kasper.

The statements appear in Kasper’s new booklet, "The Message of Amoris Laetitia: A Fraternal Discussion," which was recently publishedsimultaneously in German and Italian.

In the same work, Kasper also insinuates that Amoris Laetitia opens the way to permit the use of contraception, a practice that is universally condemned in the Scriptures, Church Fathers, and the Papal Magisterium, most recently by Popes Paul VI and John Paul II.

Kasper notes that in Amoris Laetitia, the Pope only “encourages the use of the method of observing the cycles of natural fertility,” and “does not say anything about other methods of family planning and avoids all casuistic definitions.” In the context with the book’s passages on communion for those who commit adultery in second “marriages,” which use similar language, Kasper appears to be claiming that the pope is allowing for exceptions to the Church’s condemnation of artificial birth control.

Remainder here: Cardinal Kasper: Homosexual unions are ‘analogous’ to Christian marriage
Truly sad. Homosexuality is a sin (1 Corinthians 6:9-10).

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No I dont Jeff - I think its infantile actually to be calling a spiitiriitual leader the devil
See how often Jesus does just that in the NT.
And today.
Be careful what you call Jesus.
Also be warned what you think of those opposed to Jesus.

Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟147,506.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
You believe the Pope is satanic? seriously?
First, the commentary was not on the pope, but on Kasper.
Second, neither the pope nor the cardinal are the Archangel Michael.
Third, the statement I made was not about either the pope or cardinal, but was a critique of the analogy being made.
He compares homosexual relationships to Christian marriage.
Except that, in Catholic dogma Christian marriage is a sacrament and homosexual unions are mortal sins to the extent that they are consummated, and venial sins to the extent that they lead to a propensity to commit mortal sins.
To simplify the analogy, Christian marriage is good, and any sexual union that is outside of Christian marriage is bad. This is not my opinion even; it is Catholic teaching.
To be even more clear, Satan is the bad angel, and Michael is the good angel.
So if homosexual sex(bad) is analogous to Christian marriage(good), then that is the same analogy as comparing Satan(bad) to Archangel Michael(good).

I hope I have made that clear enough and simple enough that you might begin to understand now.

Upvote 0

Cuddles333

May 5, 2011
Denver
✟30,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Shows the Cardinal has studied this historical subject objectively. In the non-Jewish culture of the 1st century, it was very common for a man married to a woman, to also have a male sexual partner. The higher the social class, the more common it was. The Roman soldiers were notorious for having 'herds' of young men and a famous Christian Apologist wrote of this sin of excess by them (instead of a soldier having one).

If the Apostle Paul were addressing the male homosexuality of this culture in 1Cor.6:9 he had a number of their words which identified it that he would have used. One word is arrenomanes- a male being mad after men, a boy crazy male. Another word Paul would have used would have been paiderasste- sexual behavior between males.

Paul instead used the Jewish Levitical term for male pagan priests: arsenokoites. This term would not have been understood by the non-Jewish Christians.

To live a lie is very stressful on a person and maybe even more damaging when found out. So the Cardinal is right. Not to try to fool others. God will always know even if one is never found out.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No I dont Jeff - I think its infantile actually to be calling a spiitiriitual leader the devil

Hi zoii,

solomon wrote a post:

Following that logic, Satan is analogous to Michael the Archangel.

I'm not sure I'm following how you get from there to the pope being of Satan or satanic.

You further responded:

So, I'm guessing that you don't see anyone who promotes a false spiritual faith as working out the plan of Satan to destroy us? Again, however, I'm confused as to how you have gathered from solomon's post that he's calling any spiritual leader the devil. What he said was that if we allow the logic, get it, if we allow the logic that is being pushed from the Vatican, to be the truth of things...Then it would be similar to equating Satan to Michael the Archangel. The entire claim hinges on whether or not we're going to allow this logic that brings us to the point where we say that homosexual unions are analogous to christian marriages. You do see that, don't you?

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Things aren't necessarily black and white. I'm reminded of C S Lewis' brief comment about homosexual relationships in boarding school, in his biography "Surprised by Joy." He certainly believed it was wrong in principle, but he also thought that those relationships provided an element of humanity in an environment that he considered pretty bleak.

Personally I don't have any problem with gay relationships. But obviously the Catholic Church does. That doesn't mean that they can't recognize good elements in such a relationship.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul instead used the Jewish Levitical term for male pagan priests: arsenokoites.

Actually, that's a word meaning men who have sex with men. the word ἀρσενοκοίτης is derived from Leviticus 20:13: καὶ ὃς ἂν κοιμηθῇ μετά ἄρσενος κοίτην γυναικός, βδέλυγμα ἐποίησαν ἀμφότεροι· θανάτῳ θανατούσθωσαν, ἔνοχοί εἰσιν.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
First, the commentary was not on the pope, but on Kasper.
Second, neither the pope nor the cardinal are the Archangel Michael.
Third, the statement I made was not about either the pope or cardinal, but was a critique of the analogy being made.
He compares homosexual relationships to Christian marriage.
Except that, in Catholic dogma Christian marriage is a sacrament and homosexual unions are mortal sins to the extent that they are consummated, and venial sins to the extent that they lead to a propensity to commit mortal sins.
To simplify the analogy, Christian marriage is good, and any sexual union that is outside of Christian marriage is bad. This is not my opinion even; it is Catholic teaching.
To be even more clear, Satan is the bad angel, and Michael is the good angel.
So if homosexual sex(bad) is analogous to Christian marriage(good), then that is the same analogy as comparing Satan(bad) to Archangel Michael(good).

I hope I have made that clear enough and simple enough that you might begin to understand now.
Sorry Solomon for not understanding your analogy in the first instance

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hi zoii,

solomon wrote a post:

I'm not sure I'm following how you get from there to the pope being of Satan or satanic.

You further responded:

So, I'm guessing that you don't see anyone who promotes a false spiritual faith as working out the plan of Satan to destroy us? Again, however, I'm confused as to how you have gathered from solomon's post that he's calling any spiritual leader the devil. What he said was that if we allow the logic, get it, if we allow the logic that is being pushed from the Vatican, to be the truth of things...Then it would be similar to equating Satan to Michael the Archangel. The entire claim hinges on whether or not we're going to allow this logic that brings us to the point where we say that homosexual unions are analogous to christian marriages. You do see that, don't you?

God bless,
In Christ, ted
Yes I misunderstood Solomons analogy. As to my own views around SSM, I guess I dont feel as strongly as others here. I think that would be true of most of my generation as well.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Actually, that's a word meaning men who have sex with men. the word ἀρσενοκοίτης is derived from Leviticus 20:13: καὶ ὃς ἂν κοιμηθῇ μετά ἄρσενος κοίτην γυναικός, βδέλυγμα ἐποίησαν ἀμφότεροι· θανάτῳ θανατούσθωσαν, ἔνοχοί εἰσιν.
Sorry but that claim falls apart quickly. The phrase ἄρσενος κοίτην also appears in Leviticus 20:11, Leviticus 20:12, Leviticus 20:15 and a few other places, but none of them are connected to homosexuality or could in any way be interpreted as men who have sex with men.

No one knows what the word in 1 Corinthians means because there isn't enough linguistic information to assign any meaning at all. This could be why that over the last 2000 years there have been so many translations to that one word including masturbation, kidnappers, prostitutes, men who employ prostitutes, practitioners of other religions, rapists and fathers who sexually molest their daughters. Translating it as homosexuality is a very modern thing but has no linguistic foundation.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.