Cardinal Hollerich: There’s ‘Space to Expand’ Church Teaching on All-Male Priesthood

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In new interview, the cardinal questioned the infallibility of papal documents that affirmed the Church’s perennial teaching that only men may be ordained to holy orders, adding, ‘But for the moment, if Pope Francis tells me it is not an option, it is not an option.’

Jesuit Cardinal Jean-Claude Hollerich, the archbishop of Luxembourg and a key leader of the Synod on Synodality, said the Catholic Church’s teaching on a male-only priesthood is not infallible and a future pope could allow women priests.

The cardinal, 64, addressed the topic of the ordination of women, homosexuality, women in the Church, obedience to the pope, and the German Synodal Way in an interview with Glas Koncila, a Croatian Catholic weekly, published March 27.

“Pope Francis does not want the ordination of women, and I am completely obedient to that. But people continue to discuss it,” Cardinal Hollerich said.

The cardinal questioned the infallibility of papal documents such as St. John Paul II’s Ordinatio Sacerdotalis, which affirmed the Church’s perennial teaching that only men may be ordained to holy orders.

Continued below.

Markie Boy

Supporter
Oct 28, 2017
United States
✟375,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find it odd - the Cardinal must have never read 1 Timothy ch. 3. It's clear that a church leader is to be the husband of one wife - that means men only.

There is a Biblical and historical grounds for a change to allow married men - but not for women.

So often, and not just in the Church, the least competent people end up in the higher positions. How does this happen?

Upvote 0