Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
At what point do we become concerned that this is the new strategy of the secular forces who oppose the morality of the Church? Or has that time already come and gone? Pro-choice groups, LGBT advocacy groups, etc. At any time all any of them have to do is level an accusation against a priest or a prelate who is in their way and their immoral cause gains more ground.

While that might be a reasonable big-picture question, I don't think it's what's going on here. (Bearing in mind I'm very close to Ballarat and I'm part of the wider network touched by these events). Whether or not Pell is innocent - and the people I know who know him (I personally never met him) swear that he probably is - the absolute trauma of the abuse crisis in Ballarat; the sheer numbers, the suicides, the institutional incompetence, and so forth, are more than enough to explain the over spilling of animus in this case. There's no need to go looking for a secular political agenda; this is boiling anger and incredible woundedness from within the Catholic community, looking for some way to find resolution.

Of course, even if Pell is found guilty and given the harshest sentence the law allows, it won't actually provide that resolution. I don't think anybody - in the church or out of it - actually knows how to work with healing these issues on this scale (or if they do, I see no evidence that anything is actually being done). We're all just muddling along and trying to find our way through an absolute horror.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The fact that Pope Francis said Pell will not receive special treatment makes Francis better than either of his two predecessors, one of whom I'm told is now a "saint."
But he IS receiving special treatment. Where is the Vatican investigation and trial?

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Last edited:
  • Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Given the Vatican's history with such things, I would prefer they let secular authorities handle it.
Me too. My thing is HE NEEDS TO ATTEND the proceedings. From what I've read, he is saying he will go "to clear his name."

Upvote 0

Tomm

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2007
WS
✟278,556.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Personally I think there's a strong homosexual lobby behind the Pell accusations. I may be wrong, but if he's innocent, then he should be found innocent, and if that's the case, those making false accusations should be charged.

I believe he's innocent and a false accusation has been made by enemies of the Church.

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I believe he's innocent and a false accusation has been made by enemies of the Church.

No Cookies | Herald Sun
I'm willing to wait and see. See if it is a kangaroo court or not, see if he is found guilty or not. Then I wonder if he will be called back, presuming he is cleared, to his Vatican post by Francis or not. But for now I just want a trial and a public record.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm willing to wait and see. See if it is a kangaroo court or not, see if he is found guilty or not. Then I wonder if he will be called back, presuming he is cleared, to his Vatican post by Francis or not. But for now I just want a trial and a public record.

I just hope that IF he is found innocent and the charges are, in fact, false, that whoever leveled the charges against him is made an example of.

First, false accusations can make life difficult for people who have legitimate claims. Second, the Church needs to stand up for herself and say, "yes SOME members of the clergy have committed heinous crimes against others in the past, but we will not abide false accusations against innocent clergy. The Church is still the de facto moral authority on this Earth and will not be subdued."

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Really? You're going to raise one very unusual case from nearly 40 years ago to suggest that Cardinal Pell won't get a fair trial?

I don't pretend to know the details of the case. But the fact that charges have been laid means that the prosecution thinks it has a chance of proving them in court. This isn't just a witch hunt or a fabrication out of nothing; it wouldn't have got this far if it were.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,176.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Really? You're going to raise one very unusual case from nearly 40 years ago to suggest that Cardinal Pell won't get a fair trial?
No, I'm just being facetious :p

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It won't be a kangaroo court. The Australian justice system is really very good.
I hope so. It is the land of kangaroos and they have courts. Let them not be associated together. I would like to know that a verdict, whatever it is, is accurate.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,176.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ironically, the term "kangaroo court" comes from America, despite them having no kangaroos... :scratch:
What? They've got no six foot tall, steel bucket crushing marsupuals?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Some context to the article Rhamiel has linked; it talks about Derryn Hinch, but doesn't explain who he is. In the article it sounds like he's a journalist. In fact, he was a journalist, but currently he has been elected to the senate (the upper house) of Australia's federal parliament.

As a journalist, one of the issues which defined his work was his campaign against the sexual abuse of children. He went to prison for contempt of court in naming pedophiles whose names had been suppressed, something which he saw as a matter of personal integrity.

So I see his behaviour as described in this interview as a political move; his background and actions as a journalist made him incredibly popular, and that popularity got him elected. Now he is attempting to ride the wave of public feeling in order to boost his own popularity (and, presumably, votes at the next election).

It's true that the media here are not friends of the Cardinal. But it's not the media who are laying charges, and the legal system is much more impartial.

Upvote 0