Cardinal Burke: Pope would be leading a schism if he endorsed errors in Amazon synod working doc

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
*You are in the Catholic forum*

Cardinal Raymond Burke, one of the Church's most outspoken defenders of perennial Catholic teaching, suggested that Pope Francis could be leading a "schism" if he were to put his "stamp" of approval on tbe Amazon Synod's controversial working document that has been criticized by top-ranking prelates, including Burke, as constituting apostasy, heresy, and "false teaching."

Continued below.
Cardinal Burke: Pope would be leading a schism if he endorsed errors in Amazon Synod working doc

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
If so we should acknowledge said schism now shouldn't we? It's time to wake up.

there's no doubt that if the Pope should decide to put His stamp of approval on the outcome of the Amazon Synod, it could indeed cause world wide problems for the Catholic church.
On the other hand, He could just ignore the whole thing, (just like He is doing regarding the dubia).

The problem with taking that route is the biblical warning about being lukewarm.
If the Church that was founded by Jesus Himself refuses to take a stand, then we have further evidence that some of the prophesies regarding The Latter Days are indeed coming to pass.

So yes, attention will be focused on Rome and the decisions made there.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If so we should acknowledge said schism now shouldn't we? It's time to wake up.
I think we have to watch and pray until at least the pope finishes and publishes his document on the synod. As Msgr Pope suggests we pray for a miracle. Because that is pretty much what it will take.

I do think the pope's failure to answer the dubia is rooted in infallibility. My hunch is he really wants to answer it wrongly but has been restrained from doing so. He may also be restrained from endorsing Pachamamaism in the same way. I pray it will be so.

I will stay tuned to cardinal Burke. Not go farther than he does. And thank him for what he has said and done and suffered so far.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If the Pope declares heresy he ceases to be Pope. At which point I think trads and the SSPX (maybe the SSPV too) and whoever else ought to unite, depose him, and reclaim the Holy See for the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Call it the Age of Reclamation in Church history.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If the Pope declares heresy he ceases to be Pope.
Problem is who decides this. Do we all do it willie nillie? That was the way it happened at the dawn of Protestantism. They variously decided the pope was a heretic, jumped ship, and started swimming in different directions. Individualism run amuck.
At which point I think trads and the SSPX (maybe the SSPV too) and whoever else ought to unite, depose him, and reclaim the Holy See for the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.
Two things. There have been popes who have been deposed. It's not exceptionally well understood how that worked. We need to understand those past events to guide us in the present event. Second, it's not 'trads and SSPX' that needs to do this, or it will just be another schism. It needs to be the Church that deposes the pope. Cardinals and bishops, probably pushed by us laity. Not the fringes.
Call it the Age of Reclamation in Church history.
This period of time we are in right now will have a name. The 'Age of Apostasy' or something like that. It will provide opportunity for many a PhD thesis. I hope there is an 'Age of Reclamation' but the alternative is the end of ages, the return of the King. One or the other. And I'm kind of betting on the latter. Call me a bit apocalyptic.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Problem is who decides this. Do we all do it willie nillie? That was the way it happened at the dawn of Protestantism. They variously decided the pope was a heretic, jumped ship, and started swimming in different directions. Individualism run amuck.

I'll have to go back and check it but I actually listened to an episode of Matt Fradd's podcast last week about this very thing.

Second, it's not 'trads and SSPX' that needs to do this, or it will just be another schism. It needs to be the Church that deposes the pope. Cardinals and bishops, probably pushed by us laity. Not the fringes.

My comment was under the assumption that a schism had effectively already happened. Pope Francis is clearly drawing lines in the sand, and has been for some time, between trads and modernists; between his ideological claims and his provocative and insulting commentary towards trads.

This period of time we are in right now will have a name. The 'Age of Apostasy' or something like that. It will provide opportunity for many a PhD thesis. I hope there is an 'Age of Reclamation' but the alternative is the end of ages, the return of the King. One or the other. And I'm kind of betting on the latter. Call me a bit apocalyptic.

Doesn't the apostasy happen just before the Second Coming? So in a way, I suppose that would be a reclamation.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I'll have to go back and check it but I actually listened to an episode of Matt Fradd's podcast last week about this very thing.

My comment was under the assumption that a schism had effectively already happened. Pope Francis is clearly drawing lines in the sand, and has been for some time, between trads and modernists; between his ideological claims and his provocative and insulting commentary towards trads.

Doesn't the apostasy happen just before the Second Coming? So in a way, I suppose that would be a reclamation.

Yes, it's in the build up it seems.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Romans 13:3

Jun 6, 2007
This side of heaven
✟112,649.00
Faith
Catholic
Not trying to bait anyone, honest questions here:
1. Is it possible for the pope to an infallible proclamation that is heresy?
2. If so, how does reflect on the idea that the pope is protected by the Holy Spirit as to not teach error?
3. Can someone point me to the canonical means by which a pope could be removed?

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Not trying to bait anyone, honest questions here:
1. Is it possible for the pope to an infallible proclamation that is heresy?
2. If so, how does reflect on the idea that the pope is protected by the Holy Spirit as to not teach error?
3. Can someone point me to the canonical means by which a pope could be removed?

As an oldtimer I'm sure you're fully capable of answering these three questions yourself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Can you post a link?
Pope Francis is drawing lines I'll grant you. But I would not call myself a 'trad' and he's drawn the line to exclude me and people like me. He calls me a 'neo-pelagian' and an 'American' and all sorts of other insults. He has thrown me in his 'basket of deplorables' without having ever met me.

His words and actions do seem schismatic, but I don't feel like I am the one who can judge that he is actually in schism. I look to various cardinals and bishops to make the case and issue the ultimatum. Or for the Holy Spirit to directly remove him.

It's kind of like impeachment. Trump is your president until he is impeached by the House and convicted by the Senate. I may decide something about Trump, but what I think really does not matter. What some professors think doesn't really matter. What the polls say doesn't really matter. What he did doesn't even matter outside of the impeachment and trial. The US constitution has a provision for impeachment, but the Church doesn't have it spelled out for the pope. It's all just theory.

What worries me is if we all go off in separate directions as was done in the Reformation 500 years ago. We had some bad popes at the time, but was what happened the right thing? This time I could see us again splitting into dozens of groups that would then fission into another 50,000 in a few hundred years. Or, if done right, we stay as one with the pope and his cronies retiring early and orthodoxy restored.
God reclaims. One way or the other it will be the work of God in our midst.

Upvote 0
What worries me is if we all go off in separate directions as was done in the Reformation 500 years ago. We had some bad popes at the time, but was what happened the right thing? This time I could see us again splitting into dozens of groups that would then fission into another 50,000 in a few hundred years. Or, if done right, we stay as one with the pope and his cronies retiring early and orthodoxy restored.

Well stated

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Evidently not, based on the discussion here as the answers I thought I knew seem to be in error.

1: no
2: not applying
3 : no

Those are the three basic answers for you right there, but personally I think that there has to be room for disposition of what clearly is a heretical pope, but that's just my own simpleminded opinion.

The real fun only begins when he's proclaiming erroneous teachings ex cathedra...

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Well stated
Yeah, thanks. Yet the path forward is anything but clear. Cardinal Burke says the same thing. This is a roller coaster ride and we're nowhere near the end. I totally gave up on those rides after Space Mountain scared it all out of me. So I don't like the idea at all that I'm on the roller coaster again. It really does have some of that same feel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, thanks. Yet the path forward is anything but clear. Cardinal Burke says the same thing. This is a roller coaster ride and we're nowhere near the end. I totally gave up on those rides after Space Mountain scared it all out of me. So I don't like the idea at all that I'm on the roller coaster again. It really does have some of that same feel.

What? "He's here, He's there, He's out in the desert, no, he's in the Temple???

For certain, you don't want to follow anyone who is running around like a chicken with his head cut off.
If his head is cut off, he can't see the right way to go.
(And if you follow someone without a head, you will certainly get lost.)

Instead be quiet, sit down, pray, and wait for instruction from the Holy Spirit.
God will know where you are, and will send His Son to guide you to where you should be.

Count on Him.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Always remember, no matter how confusing it gets, God is NOT in confusion.

When the world seems to be upside down, that's when everything that is not supposed to be here is shaken, stirred, and strained. And then it is upended so that what does not belong might be spilled out.

And after that happens, then everything that is supposed to be here will be restored, and set in order once again by God.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
1: no
2: not applying
3 : no

Those are the three basic answers for you right there, but personally I think that there has to be room for disposition of what clearly is a heretical pope, but that's just my own simpleminded opinion.

The real fun only begins when he's proclaiming erroneous teachings ex cathedra...
If that were to happen, and such seems extremely unlikely, it would pose an unreal problem for Traditional Catholics. Where could they go? What could they do? I suppose that some would go to the EOC and others might push for a split in the Church and elect a new Pope, as happened during the Western Schism in the Middle Ages.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
If that were to happen, and such seems extremely unlikely, it would pose an unreal problem for Traditional Catholics. Where could they go? What could they do? I suppose that some would go to the EOC and others might push for a split in the Church and elect a new Pope, as happened during the Western Schism in the Middle Ages.

Traditional Catholics would be just fine, thanks.
You seem to forget that there are quite a few of us left out here. And while there isn't a traditional Catholic parish on every street corner, there are enough that our needs could be accommodated with a few more masses and a few more pews or chairs in the aisles.

If you think that we would go to the EOC, you are mistaken. We have that choice now, and we aren't flocking there in great numbers.
The priests are the ones who would have a heart-wrenching problem. They are the ones who would have to move the furthest. Those who are from other countries and are serving in the US for a specified time would be going back home a bit sooner, so they would be dealing with the problems in their own countries; not here.

Things would work out. There would be an interim shuffle, of course, in both the clergy and in the parish, but nothing so impossible that it couldn't be dealt with.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Can you post a link?

Sure! Here's the link, the audio playback itself is at the bottom beneath all the notes for the episode.

Pope Francis is drawing lines I'll grant you. But I would not call myself a 'trad' and he's drawn the line to exclude me and people like me. He calls me a 'neo-pelagian' and an 'American' and all sorts of other insults. He has thrown me in his 'basket of deplorables' without having ever met me.

I would say that's another mistake he's making is painting Americans and the Church in America with broad brushstrokes. Are his most outspoken critics here trads? Yeah, most likely. Though his most outspoken critics anywhere are probably trads, given his track record. But he's alienating many but maybe the most liberal and progressive "Catholics" when he says American opposition is basically a merit badge to him.

His words and actions do seem schismatic, but I don't feel like I am the one who can judge that he is actually in schism. I look to various cardinals and bishops to make the case and issue the ultimatum. Or for the Holy Spirit to directly remove him.

It's kind of like impeachment. Trump is your president until he is impeached by the House and convicted by the Senate. I may decide something about Trump, but what I think really does not matter. What some professors think doesn't really matter. What the polls say doesn't really matter. What he did doesn't even matter outside of the impeachment and trial. The US constitution has a provision for impeachment, but the Church doesn't have it spelled out for the pope. It's all just theory.

God reclaims. One way or the other it will be the work of God in our midst.

Copying from Fradd's podcast notes included in the link above, who in turn was taking from Summa Theologiae, it would seem Aquinas posits that we're duty bound to correct even a prelate. Maybe a person needs to examine their conscience to determine whether the desire to correct a prelate originates in pride, but I think if it comes from a righteous place than we all have a duty to correct His Holiness.

You're right, I wouldn't want to commit any of the errors that created the protestant revolt, but there seems to be precedent or at least a framework, for Catholics correcting a prelate established by the Saints and Doctors of the Church.

(IIRC, Fradd discusses in the podcast how specifically this would apply to the Pope)

**Blue text is my emphasis/highlight

Article 1. Whether fraternal correction is an act of charity?

On the contrary, To correct the wrongdoer is a spiritual almsdeed. But almsdeeds are works of charity, as stated above (II-II:32:1). Therefore fraternal correction is an act of charity.

I answer that, The correction of the wrongdoer is a remedy which should be employed against a man's sin. Now a man's sin may be considered in two ways, first as being harmful to the sinner, secondly as conducing to the harm of others, by hurting or scandalizing them, or by being detrimental to the common good, the justice of which is disturbed by that man's sin.

Consequently the correction of a wrongdoer is twofold, one which applies a remedy to the sin considered as an evil of the sinner himself. This is fraternal correction properly so called, which is directed to the amendment of the sinner. Now to do away with anyone's evil is the same as to procure his good: and to procure a person's good is an act of charity, whereby we wish and do our friend well. Consequently fraternal correction also is an act of charity, because thereby we drive out our brother's evil, viz. sin, the removal of which pertains to charity rather than the removal of an external loss, or of a bodily injury, in so much as the contrary good of virtue is more akin to charity than the good of the body or of external things. Therefore fraternal correction is an act of charity rather than the healing of a bodily infirmity, or the relieving of an external bodily need. There is another correction which applies a remedy to the sin of the wrongdoer, considered as hurtful to others, and especially to the common good. This correction is an act of justice, whose concern it is to safeguard the rectitude of justice between one man and another.

Article 4. Whether a man is bound to correct his prelate?

Objection 1. It would seem that no man is bound to correct his prelate. For it is written (Exodus 19:12): "The beast that shall touch the mount shall be stoned," [Vulgate: 'Everyone that shall touch the mount, dying he shall die.'] and (2 Samuel 6:7) it is related that the Lord struck Oza for touching the ark. Now the mount and the ark signify our prelates. Therefore prelates should not be corrected by their subjects.

Objection 2. Further, a gloss on Galatians 2:11, "I withstood him to the face," adds: "as an equal." Therefore, since a subject is not equal to his prelate, he ought not to correct him.

Objection 3. Further, Gregory says (Moral. xxiii, 8) that "one ought not to presume to reprove the conduct of holy men, unless one thinks better of oneself." But one ought not to think better of oneself than of one's prelate. Therefore one ought not to correct one's prelate.​

On the contrary, Augustine says in his Rule: "Show mercy not only to yourselves, but also to him who, being in the higher position among you, is therefore in greater danger." But fraternal correction is a work of mercy. Therefore even prelates ought to be corrected.

I answer that, A subject is not competent to administer to his prelate the correction which is an act of justice through the coercive nature of punishment: but the fraternal correction which is an act of charity is within the competency of everyone in respect of any person towards whom he is bound by charity, provided there be something in that person which requires correction.

Now an act which proceeds from a habit or power extends to whatever is contained under the object of that power or habit: thus vision extends to all things comprised in the object of sight. Since, however, a virtuous act needs to be moderated by due circumstances, it follows that when a subject corrects his prelate, he ought to do so in a becoming manner, not with impudence and harshness, but with gentleness and respect. Hence the Apostle says (1 Timothy 5:1): "An ancient man rebuke not, but entreat him as a father." Wherefore Dionysius finds fault with the monk Demophilus (Ep. viii), for rebuking a priest with insolence, by striking and turning him out of the church.

Reply to Objection 1. It would seem that a subject touches his prelate inordinately when he upbraids him with insolence, as also when he speaks ill of him: and this is signified by God's condemnation of those who touched the mount and the ark.

Reply to Objection 2. To withstand anyone in public exceeds the mode of fraternal correction, and so Paul would not have withstood Peter then, unless he were in some way his equal as regards the defense of the faith. But one who is not an equal can reprove privately and respectfully. Hence the Apostle in writing to the Colossians (4:17) tells them to admonish their prelate: "Say to Archippus: Fulfil thy ministry [Vulgate: 'Take heed to the ministry which thou hast received in the Lord, that thou fulfil it.' Cf. 2 Timothy 4:5." It must be observed, however, that if the faith were endangered, a subject ought to rebuke his prelate even publicly. Hence Paul, who was Peter's subject, rebuked him in public, on account of the imminent danger of scandal concerning faith, and, as the gloss of Augustine says on Galatians 2:11, "Peter gave an example to superiors, that if at any time they should happen to stray from the straight path, they should not disdain to be reproved by their subjects."

Reply to Objection 3. To presume oneself to be simply better than one's prelate, would seem to savor of presumptuous pride; but there is no presumption in thinking oneself better in some respect, because, in this life, no man is without some fault. We must also remember that when a man reproves his prelate charitably, it does not follow that he thinks himself any better, but merely that he offers his help to one who, "being in the higher position among you, is therefore in greater danger," as Augustine observes in his Rule quoted above.
Summa Theologiae, second part of the second part, Question 33.

Upvote 0