Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
spacer.gif

The Troublesome Will

RAY: A rich old geezer passes away. When the lawyer reads the will, he's surprised to find out that the old geezer left his entire estate to his three nephews, Chip, Skip, and Nunzio.

But the old man had the good sense to spend most of his money on women and wine. The only thing he had left was 17 sports cars. So the lawyer and the three legatees -- Chip, Skip, and Nunzio -- show up at the carriage house to look at the cars.

The lawyer says, "Your uncle left one-third of the cars to Chip, half of the cars to Skip, and a ninth of the cars to Nunzio." Chip, Skip, and Nunzio look at each other and say, "What the heck do we do now? There are 17 cars."

They don't know how to divvy them up. The lawyer's no help. They're ready to duke it out when who should waltz in but our old friend Crusty.

Crusty proposes a solution. What did he propose and, more importantly, why did it work?
YOU HAVE AN ANSWER? POST IT HERE
Contact Us
OTHERWISE THE ANSWER IS POSTED THE FOLLOWING MONDAY.

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you know the answer, contact the site. I am not sure what they do now but they used to give you honorable mention at their site to the first person answering it correctly.
Thanks for the like, public hermit:)

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The lawyer says, "Your uncle left one-third of the cars to Chip, half of the cars to Skip, and a ninth of the cars to Nunzio." Chip, Skip, and Nunzio look at each other and say, "What the heck do we do now? There are 17 cars."
My answer:
Add an "imaginary" car to make 18.
Chip = 18/3 = 6
Skip = 18/2 = 9
Nunzio = 18/9 = 2
Total = 17
(Disregard the imaginary car.)

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
spacer.gif

The Troublesome Will

RAY: A rich old geezer passes away. When the lawyer reads the will, he's surprised to find out that the old geezer left his entire estate to his three nephews, Chip, Skip, and Nunzio.

But the old man had the good sense to spend most of his money on women and wine. The only thing he had left was 17 sports cars. So the lawyer and the three legatees -- Chip, Skip, and Nunzio -- show up at the carriage house to look at the cars.

They don't know how to divvy them up. The lawyer's no help. They're ready to duke it out when who should waltz in but our old friend Crusty.

Crusty proposes a solution. What did he propose and, more importantly, why did it work?
Contact Us
:) 1 car is invisible?

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
spacer.gif

The Troublesome Will

Contact Us
I used to listen to Car Talk every week. I'd get my friends to hear it too.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I like their interaction. It appeared to me not long ago that they were not going to offer this anymore. They have things on there that are for sale and at the time I thought they were leaving they put their brothers? car up for auction. I wish I could have bid. At least you know it was in good running condition.
Thanks for your posts.

• Haha
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like their interaction. It appeared to me not long ago that they were not going to offer this anymore. They have things on there that are for sale and at the time I thought they were leaving they put their brothers? car up for auction. I wish I could have bid. At least you know it was in good running condition.
Thanks for your posts.
the part about putting the brother's car up for auction was funny. :) (It's quite a long time back that Tom passed, but their humor stays with you!)

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
the part about putting the brother's car up for auction was funny. :) (It's quite a long time back that Tom passed, but their humor stays with you!)
I have the post about it if you like I can post it?

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
spacer.gif

The Troublesome Will

Contact Us

Answer:
RAY: Here's the answer. The first nephew Chip inherited a third of the 17 cars. Skip, the second guy, is going to get half the cars. And Nunzio is going to get one-ninth of the cars.

So Crusty comes along and says, 'Look, guys, I'll lend you my '52 Studebaker so now you can divide up 18 cars.'

So Skip says great, 'I'll take half of the cars or nine cars.'

Chip says, 'I'll take a third, that's six cars.'

And Nunzio says, 'I'll take one-ninth or two cars.' Now if you add those up its 17 cars. So Crusty gets his '52 Studebaker back and everything's done and everyone's happy.

The reason it works is that half plus a third plus a ninth do not add up to one. The old geezer originally had 18 cars. But because they don't add up to one, in fact when each gets his nine or six or two cars, it's actually more than the old man wanted to give each in his will.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Last weeks puzzler answer is above

THIS WEEKS PUZZLER:
One for the Ages

RAY: A teacher named Ms. Jones asks her third-grade class if it's anyone's birthday that day and, to her surprise, even though there are 30-something kids in the class, no one raises their hand.

Ms. Jones then asks, "Well, is there anyone here who has a family member whose birthday it is today?"

And little Katie raises her hand and says, "As a matter of fact, today is my father's birthday, and it's also my grandfather's birthday."

The teacher says, "Oh really -- how interesting!"

Little Katie goes on to say, "And they're the same age."

The teacher says, "Oh, no, no, Katie, that can't be." But Katie insists that they’re the same age.

So the question is: Can it be and, if so, how? Now, if you start thinking about February 28th and all that, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can it be and, if so, how?
Katie's dad married a younger wife and is the same age as his father-in-law.
~~~~~~~~~
I'm My Own Grandpa, Lonzo & Oscar (1947)

• Winner
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Last weeks puzzler answer is above

THIS WEEKS PUZZLER:
One for the Ages

RAY: A teacher named Ms. Jones asks her third-grade class if it's anyone's birthday that day and, to her surprise, even though there are 30-something kids in the class, no one raises their hand.

Ms. Jones then asks, "Well, is there anyone here who has a family member whose birthday it is today?"

And little Katie raises her hand and says, "As a matter of fact, today is my father's birthday, and it's also my grandfather's birthday."

The teacher says, "Oh really -- how interesting!"

Little Katie goes on to say, "And they're the same age."

The teacher says, "Oh, no, no, Katie, that can't be." But Katie insists that they’re the same age.

So the question is: Can it be and, if so, how? Now, if you start thinking about February 28th and all that, you're
barking up the wrong tree.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Answer:

RAY: They're the same age because her father and her grandfather are not related. Her father is an old geezer who married some young woman whose father is the same age as he is
CHECK YOUR ANSWER PLEASE SABER:) OR i CAN DO IT LATER.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
3/15
The Farmer's Stone

RAY: This was sent in by Dave Etnoyer.

A farmer had a 40-pound stone which he would use to weigh 40 pounds of feed. He had a balance scale; he would put the stone on one side and pile the other side with feed, and when it balanced, that was it.

A neighbor borrowed the stone, but he had to apologize when he returned it because it had broken into four pieces. The farmer who owned the stone later told the neighbor that he had actually done him a favor. The pieces of the broken stone could now be used to weigh any item, assuming those items were in one-pound increments, from one pound to 40.

What were the weights of the four individual stones? So if you want to weigh one pound, six pounds, 11 pounds, 22 pounds, 39 pounds -- how would you use the stones, the thing you are weighing, and the balance beam?

And here's the hint: how would you weigh two pounds?
SORRY, I HAVE LOST ALL OF MY SPECIAL EFFECTS, CAN'T BOLD, ETC.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What were the weights of the four individual stones? So if you want to weigh one pound, six pounds, 11 pounds, 22 pounds, 39 pounds -- how would you use the stones, the thing you are weighing, and the balance beam?
I have solved one like this before. Do you want my answer (in a spoiler) right away, or would you like me to wait?

Upvote 0