Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
They are people expressing their opinions. However I understand, those opinions differ from yours therefore they must be belittled. God forbid you engage in actual debate.
The trolls were rating the movie as horrible before anyone had seen it.

No other movie in the history of the MCU has been promoted as this one has, as some form of social statement championing a victory Marvel first achieved back in the 1960's. Combine this with Larson's inane self-righteous comments and the "want to see" number on Rotten Tomatoes had dropped down to, according to at least one report, 27 percent. That is why Rotten Tomatoes disabled their rating functions, in an effort to help Disney protect their investment.
they disabled the rating function because of the bots that were being used.

Tell me, SM, if Larson had stated she didn't want her press entourage to be comprised of too many Black people, how would you have responded?
Of course she didn't say that, but hey why should the truth matter, right?

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
But I don't forget that the first female Captain Marvel was not a white woman. In the comics was actually Monica Rambeau (the little girl's name) who was the first female Captain Marvel--and also the first black female superhero.
The first black female superhero was Storm back in 1975.

That title and honor was stripped from the character. She was made second-fiddle to the blonde. Why did that happen?
Carol Danvers first received her powers in 1977 in an incident very similar to that shown in the movie. She was known as Ms. Marvel and the Captain Marvel at the time was male (Mar-Vell. Mar-Vell's identity was changed in the movie so as not to spoil the reveal of the movie's true Big Bad). Most of her powers as Ms. Marvel are identical to those shown in the current movie.

Perhaps something I've heard from black women in more cynical circles is true: "White women never objected to the heist, they just objected to their cut."

If that were not true, there would be no problem with programs like The Expanse that have strong women and strong men.
Have their been problems with programs like The Expanse?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The first black female superhero was Storm back in 1975.

I was there then. It was hard to tell at the time whether Storm was actually intended to be "black" rather than some other exotic form of being. She was certainly not African-American, as Monica Rambeau was.

Have their been problems with programs like The Expanse?

No.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
storm's first appearance was in 1975. here backstory was established the next year. her mother was kenyan and her father was american. she was born in harlem.
all of this was known long before monica rambeau was created.

As I said, at the time, reading one issue a month (as opposed to scanning a Wikipedia article in a few minutes), that wasn't particularly clear.

She didn't look African-American, or didn't look to be intended as African-American, and we had a particular look in 1975. Monica Rambeau did look African-American.

And that look was important to us at the time, as we were distinguishing what BLACK meant as an ethnicity deliberately distinct from white. It was a political statement, not a fashion statement.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
'Captain Marvel' Tops $760 Million Worldwide as Newcomers Overperform
For a second weekend in a row Disney and Marvel's Captain Marvel topped the weekend box office as it has now posted over $760 million worldwide in just twelve days in global release. Overall, the weekend ended up topping the same weekend last year for a second straight week as both Wonder Park and Five Feet Apart outperformed expectations with their opening weekend performance. At the same time Lionsgate's release of Pantelion's No Manches Frida 2 delivered a top ten finish from just 472 theaters, topping Focus's disappointing release of Captive State, which struggled in its debut in over 2,500 locations.

Disney's Captain Marvel topped the weekend box office for a second weekend in a row, delivering an estimated $69.3 million sophomore frame, dipping -54.8% and outperforming the -56% average second weekend dip for a film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This pushes the film's domestic cume over $266 million after just ten days in domestic release.​

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Something I'm seeing people begin to point out -

Rogue.

Her main power, yes, is that she can absorb the energy of others by making physical, skin - to - skin contact.

But the super strength, flight, and other abilities she had during the 1980s and 1990s?

She got that by taking them from... Carol Danvers. The 1990s cartoon on Fox actually called that out.

Basically, Rogue took her powers in 1981, at which point Danvers used a new set of powers under the name Binary. This lasted until some point in the 1990s, when she got her old powers back.

If Disney *does* buy the rights back to the X-Men characters, then this makes "Rogue takes Carol Danver's powers" a possible story line for the films.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The trolls were rating the movie as horrible before anyone had seen it.

They were rating their desire to see the film. However as I stated in post made prior to release having actually seen the was not required in order to determine it was going to be bad. The trailers, combined with Larson's pre-release antics, revealed all.

The purpose of a movie trailer is to generate interest for a movie within that group of people who watch the trailer. The trailers for Captain Marvel failed miserably in that regard, thus the negative ratings on Rotten Tomatoes.

...they disabled the rating function because of the bots that were being used.

Not what they said. Quote:

"As of February 25, we will no longer show the ‘Want to See’ percentage score for a movie during its pre-release period. Why you might ask? We’ve found that the ‘Want to See’ percentage score is often times confused with the ‘Audience Score’ percentage number. (The ‘Audience Score’ percentage, for those who haven’t been following, is the percentage of all users who have rated the movie or TV show positively – that is, given it a star rating of 3.5 or higher – and is only shown once the movie or TV show is released.),” said a post from Rotten Tomatoes, adding: “We are disabling the comment function prior to a movie’s release date. Unfortunately, we have seen an uptick in non-constructive input, sometimes bordering on trolling, which we believe is a disservice to our general readership.”

The film’s star, actress Brie Larson, branded “Captain Marvel” as a “big feminist movie” and vowed that the press junket for the movie would not be “overwhelmingly white male.”

Ask yourself the logical question. Given the fact both Wonder Woman and Alita Battle Angel received audience scores of 88% or higher (94% in the case of Alita) and neither of those films were hyped as SJW feminist vehicles, isn't it more true the audience in regard to Captain Marvel was reacting to the forced political/social agenda as opposed to in regard to some obvious straw-man of we just hate women?

Of course it is easier to just scream "troll troll troll!!!" in regard to someone voicing a contrary opinion as opposed to, as I said earlier, engaging in thoughtful debate.

Of course she didn't say that, but hey why should the truth matter, right?

Thus my use of the term "if." Really, I have to explain that condition to you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
They were rating their desire to see the film.
Then how come most of them said something to the effect "this movie sucks"?

However as I stated in post made prior to release having actually seen the was not required in order to determine it was going to be bad.
Yes, in fact it is required to see the movie before you determine it is bad.

The trailers, combined with Larson's pre-release antics, revealed all.

The purpose of a movie trailer is to generate interest for a movie within that group of people who watch the trailer. The trailers for Captain Marvel failed miserably in that regard, thus the negative ratings on Rotten Tomatoes.
Except that they didn't. Tens of thousands of reviews were posted in a few hours. It had over 58,000 rating before it was ever screened. To this day, Infinity Wars doesn't have that many.

Not what they said. Quote:

"As of February 25, we will no longer show the ‘Want to See’ percentage score for a movie during its pre-release period. Why you might ask? We’ve found that the ‘Want to See’ percentage score is often times confused with the ‘Audience Score’ percentage number. (The ‘Audience Score’ percentage, for those who haven’t been following, is the percentage of all users who have rated the movie or TV show positively – that is, given it a star rating of 3.5 or higher – and is only shown once the movie or TV show is released.),” said a post from Rotten Tomatoes, adding: “We are disabling the comment function prior to a movie’s release date. Unfortunately, we have seen an uptick in non-constructive input, sometimes bordering on trolling, which we believe is a disservice to our general readership.”

The film’s star, actress Brie Larson, branded “Captain Marvel” as a “big feminist movie” and vowed that the press junket for the movie would not be “overwhelmingly white male.”
Did she actually say that? Let's see:

'About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male. So, I spoke to Dr Stacy Smith at the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, who put together a study to confirm that. Moving forward, I decided to make sure my press days were more inclusive."

So no, she didn't say the press junket for the movie would not be “overwhelmingly white male.”. She simply said she wanted more diversity.

Ask yourself the logical question. Given the fact both Wonder Woman and Alita Battle Angel received audience scores of 88% or higher (94% in the case of Alita) and neither of those films were hyped as SJW feminist vehicles, isn't it more true the audience in regard to Captain Marvel was reacting to the forced political/social agenda as opposed to in regard to some obvious straw-man of we just hate women?
Given that I have yet to see Captain Marvel hyped as a "SJW feminist vehicle" and since I saw the movie and saw no indication of a "forced political/social agenda" I'm going to have to say NO.

Of course it is easier to just scream "troll troll troll!!!" in regard to someone voicing a contrary opinion as opposed to, as I said earlier, engaging in thoughtful debate.

Thus my use of the term "if." Really, I have to explain that condition to you?
Oh please. Your statement was clearly meant to imply that Larson said she didn't want her press entourage to be comprised of too many White people. That's what I'm saying she didn't say.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Captain Marvel has made $760 million worldwide. $1 billion is in its sights.
After an explosive opening weekend at the box office that brought in $455 million worldwide, Captain Marvel continued to soar in week two: Marvel Studios’ first woman-led superhero movie made an estimated $69.3 million domestically and $120 million internationally in its second week in theaters. That brings its total to $266 million domestically and $760 million worldwide over two weekends.

That means Captain Marvel has already outpaced the lifetime domestic box office hauls of many of its Marvel peers, including 2014’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier, 2016’s Doctor Strange, and 2018’s Ant-Man and the Wasp. It currently ranks as the 13th-most-successful Marvel movie in North America to date, and could easily move up the list.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm still annoyed about this: Marvel Comics' first female Captain Marvel and her parents:

img_8055.jpg

img_8063.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Box Office: 'Captain Marvel' To Top $1 Billion Worldwide Today
With $1.658 million domestic on Monday, Captain Marvel has now earned $355.6 million in North America. Coupling that with its current $638.6 million overseas cume, and with the presumption that it earned around $3 million overseas (it has consistently doubled its day-to-day grosses overseas almost from the start), we’re looking at a new global cume of around $997.2 million. That means, barring a fluke, the film will cross the $1 billion mark sometime today. Or, at worst, it’ll do so tomorrow at 12:02 am. Either way, it took about a month of global box office for Marvel to snag its seventh $1 billion-plus grosser.

Presuming Avengers: Endgame does this as well (and, yeah, that’s a safe presumption), the Infinity Saga will close out with eight of 22 MCU movies earning over $1 billion worldwide. Presuming the Brie Larson flick gets to $400 million domestic (still highly possible), then it’ll also join Avengers: Endgame as the seventh and eighth respective MCU flick to cross that milestone. For what it’s worth, Iron Man’s adjusted-for-inflation domestic gross ($318 million in 2008, sans 3-D or IMAX boosts) would be around $400 million today, but otherwise, the top eight MCU movies are in a realm unto themselves.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,105.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Why the excitement, over how much dough a certain movie brings in?
Because of a totalitarian mindset. For the Left, every aspect of life is, and must be, political.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think it's because moviegoers have more faith in Marvel when it comes to the box office. More than half of the DC movies that come out are a disappointment for fans. I'm a DC fan myself more so than Marvel, but even I am aware which studio generally makes the better movies. An exception is of course the remade Batman trilogy, but those days are over again.

I saw Captain Marvel only because I needed to bring my son and his friends to see it. It was cute in some ways, I'll go with 3/5, but it's not something I would watch again.

• Agree
Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I think it's because moviegoers have more faith in Marvel when it comes to the box office. More than half of the DC movies that come out are a disappointment for fans. I'm a DC fan myself more so than Marvel, but even I am aware which studio generally makes the better movies. An exception is of course the remade Batman trilogy, but those days are over again.

I saw Captain Marvel only because I needed to bring my son and his friends to see it. It was cute in some ways, I'll go with 3/5, but it's not something I would watch again.
I agree, a lot of their box office draw is because they've built a brand in a deliberate matter. However, the movie still has to be decent enough to get anywhere and the folks at Marvel are pretty smart about writing films that audiences enjoy.

I've always considered myself more of a DC fan, but that only applies to the animated universe they made with Bruce Timm. In a way, you could argue that the DC animated universe was the original connected universe. I think crossover episodes/movies was the most you had before Justice League in 2001. But Marvel has the better movie universe, I simply ignore whatever garbage Warner Bros puts out because I know it is all rushed. I think they're putting a lot of their faith in the Joaquin Phoenix Joker movie, so we'll see how things turn out.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0