• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi426

silent dreams
Nov 23, 2005
✟4,766.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Could i have Center Auditory Processing Disorder?

these are the symptoms that my mom agreed i could/do have:
Says “huh” or “what” frequently
Often misunderstands what is said
Requests that information be repeated
Poor auditory attention
Exhibits extreme distractibility
Difficulty following oral instructions
Difficulty listening in the presence of background noise
Difficulty with phonics and speech sound discrimination
Poor auditory memory span
Poor receptive and expressive language skills
Slow or delayed response to verbal requests and instructions
Reading, spelling and other academic problems(bad speller, good reader)
Learns poorly through the auditory channel

My mom doesn't think i have CAPD because i never had any problems in school when i was younger(1st and 2nd Grade "Top of Class" ) I have been homeschooled since third grade and have noticed these symptoms appearing back about 4 years ago, maybe longer. I also did have many ear infections as a baby/toddler and almost had to have tube put in.

Wat Do You Guys Think?

Mathwoman08

Dec 30, 2006
✟15,160.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Well, I know only a little bit about CAPD from some classes I had to take from education it doesn't sound like it (however it could be and I do not wish to say yes or no b/c I a) do not have a medical degree and b) have not seen you in person). From what I have studied more in depth it maybe something related to an attention deficit disorder of some kind (and yes there are many even though the main one talked about is ADHD.) It may also be a hearing problem that has developed after your birth and because you cannot hear you are unable to process anything relative to the phonetics but you do know them and hence have amazing capabilities in reading. The bad capabilities in spelling could be explained by the fact that it is a new word and you must hear the phonics to learn to spell it (as that is how spelling is taught usually) if the word was taught to you using a visual technique then you may become a better speller.

My advice to you is instead of trying to label yourself as a person with something (like CAPD or a hearing problem) is to think of yourself as a Christian who struggles with hearing. I'd say to go to a hearing doctor (or even your regular doc) first would be your best bet and if necessary they'd point you to the doctor best for you if this interferes with your daily life. :hug:

*I also mean this in all Christian kindness, but the following statement is blunt so you get the idea*

Asking for agreement/disagreement for if you have a medical condition to a forum is not just a good way to get a bad consultation, but the person who is not 100% clear that they are a doctor is opening themselves up for a world of hurt. Not only that but there are legal issues for the forum itself, now I'm not a mod or anything but I think the board would appreciate not having to deal with those. :( I know you mean well but unfortunately this probably isn't the place here.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.