• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Can't stop making bets in my head.

SnowTiger

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
United States
✟183,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I keep making bets with God and Jesus in my head. I'm worried they will hold me to them. I'm not trying to make any bets. They just pop into my head. They cause me a lot of distress. They also make me feel like I can't go to school because I made bets about my grades.

Does anyone have any advice about this?

Thank you,

SnowTiger

Last edited:

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I'm really upset because I keep making bets in my head. My parents call them "thought bets." Anyway I feel like I made bets with God and Jesus inside my head. I know God knows my every thought and I feel like if I think a bet in my head then God is going to hold me to it.

Today I was feeling better. Then I drank some milk and I thought in my head that if I didn't drink the milk by the time a commercial was over then that would be a bet. I wasn't able to drink my milk fast enough. I feel like I made a bet with God about the basketball game because I didn't drink my milk fast enough.

As I said in my previous thread, I'm really worried that I'm going to go to hell for Christmas. I feel like these bets are a part of that. I feel like I'm going to hell because I made bets in my head.

I can't emphasize enough just how upset I get when I make these bets. I feel like it's all my fault and I only have myself to blame. My mom tells me "thought bets don't count," but I really feel like they do. I feel like God will hold me to every bet I make in my head.

I feel like I have to quit college because of these bets. I made a bet about my grades in my head with Jesus. I'm supposed to go to hell if I get a certain grade in school. I'm very worried that God is going to sabotage my grades in school so then I will go to hell.

Does anyone have any advice about this? I'm taking medication and working with a psychiatrist.

I think you may have some partially imagined ideas about God, like most of us have had at times, and of Christ, and the way to change that, and your situation, is to read the actual Words of Christ, which He said to you and me, in order that we would listen and hear. His words have a powerful effect that works in ways deeper than we know. While I often recommend Luke as a good gospel to start with, I think Matthew may be a good start for you. Here's the 2nd chapter in a link, but if you like the names of genealogy and the most familiar elements of His birth story you can certainly start in chapter 1 by clicking the arrow at the top of the text.

Matthew 2 NIV

Upvote 0

Cat Loaf You

Dec 11, 2017
Warsaw
✟22,505.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

I keep making bets with God and Jesus in my head. I'm worried they will hold me to them. I'm not trying to make any bets. They just pop into my head. They cause me a lot of distress. They also make me feel like I can't go to school because I made bets about my grades.

Thank you,

SnowTiger
If God would bet with you he would win 100% of time so it's pointless .

Upvote 0

1am3laine

Oct 9, 2017
Detroit
Visit site
✟68,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

Thank you,

SnowTiger

Many people experience intrusive thoughts about oaths! That's why you say a prayer to the father saying "Don't accept any oath's I say unless I can fully do them."

Satan is trying to get you in a bind with GOD.
The only oath's you should do is a oath like ex I'll give my life to you if you heal me.
Then if he heals you you know you in the oath.

Still you need to do some MASSIVE PRAYING, FASTING, and getting hands laid on you by Holy Spirit filled people so you can get the thoughts from coming soooooooooooo much to not even coming at all which can be done.
( Mark 16:17-18 )

GOD Bless

Upvote 0

Danoh

Oct 11, 2011
✟40,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

Thank you,

SnowTiger

Consider the following...

John 8:1 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives. 8:2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them. 8:3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 8:4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 8:5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 8:6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. 8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8:8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 8:9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 8:10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Notice that after all that, when He turned His attention to her, He did not give her new focus and sense of self, but instead led her to that conclusion about herself from within herself.

First, he rescued her out of all that.

Obviously, she saw all that take place.

He then first paces her experience - "he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers?"

He then further helped her with what He was attempting to lead her into coming from her, by further strengthening her sense of it, by His Words "hath no man condemned thee?"

Result?

A new sense of herself from within herself!

"She said, No man, Lord."

He then followed that with even more of it - "And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."

The following is similar to that.

One way for solving for the problem you are experiencing is to consciously do what could be referred to as redirectionalizing a thing through a pacing of it, followed by a leading of it into a different direction, or focus.

To pace a thing is to pace it, or agree with it - "woman, where are those thine accusers?"

Followed by using that very agreement as a means of leading it into a different focus - "hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."

To lead it, is to change its focus and by that you change its direction and its impact.

An example:

Say that someone suffers from a debilitating social anxiety such as the sense, voice, and or feeling that "I am constantly being scrutinized by others!!!"

The thing to do is to pace or agree with it.

Followed leading its sense in a different, much more desired direction by adding an end to it like "because people are naturally curious about one another..." and so on.

You then consciously rehearse it, until, as with a song, once it is memorized; it becomes your automatic pattern.

In other words, instead of just allowing this that is driving you batty to just play on its own, you take control of it by making it conscious.

In the above example, you would consciously rehearse deliberately repeating what it is you are hearing in your head or whatever, together with an empowering "BECAUSE" ending that you consciously add to it.

I once helped someone who stuttered really badly to overcome doing so, simply by suggesting that he practice stuttering on purpose.

Sort of like the opposite of when you consciously attempt to concentrate on a thing, or say, to relax.

That fact that you are attempting to do so consciously, will often interfere with this (concentration and or relaxation) which is normally an unconscious activity.

Same principle - make your automatic pattern conscious and that tends to greatly nullify it.

Then add to it a conscious repetition of where you want it to end up.

What you have been doing has been attempting to battle a focus that is automatic for you.

Well, now you have a means of turning its automatic aspect into your desired focus.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Rom. 5: 6-8.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Thank you,

SnowTiger

The best way to treat compulsive thoughts is to ignore them as to value. It is out of control material which the Lord will save your from not the other way around.

As someone who suffers from hallucinations and psychosis if God would hold me accountable than i be guilty of the worst sins including the sin against the holy spirit but He has never done that instead He sought me out and brought me my reason back.

So you never have to fear your compulsive or spontaneous thoughts again unless you believe them they don't need to have power over you. i call them arrows of the enemy and struggle not to take them serious and find God's grace instead of judgment. Why would our perfectly loving Heavenly Father punish us for doing things that are outside of our control? i don't believe a word of it.

So please understand that the father of lies loves to fire his flaming darts into our hearts and minds and strike us with terror about how God will respond to us, but the blood of Christ takes care of all that and so much more!

Be of very good courage.

An invitation to The Chosen.

God's Love will not take or will
you to conform to rules or demand
which imprison, enslave, burn or kill you.

God's Love will not pervert what's Good
The Lord loves truthfully Wise and Good.
True Love was, is and always will be Good!

In God's Love you are free to be right!
In His love everything is good proper and kind.
He loves all who love good and true to rule!

His Love is caring, providing, and sharing.
His Love always enjoys and protects good life.
His love rules even when bad life has being in us!

Hear Jesus call - 'Come join up with us all!
Leave whatever ties you down and be free
loving good life with all God's own to be.'

To the rest in your heart God's asks
how long will you tarry in the darkness?
Please leave such bad existence within.

For life must not, no never should, or would, or could,
be forceful, rude, prideful, arrogant, selfish, lustful
or otherwise be untrue to God's loving truth.

Neither should life be hurting or ill,
hungry, oppressed, despised, hated
or otherwise have existence in wrong.

Please hand your Bad Life over to Jesus
Humbly ask for His Good Life back in return
and go love God, self and neighbour with Joy.

The Church knows that Jesus is coming soon
All bad life will be our shameful past then,
so please leave your bad life while you can!

Love

Upvote 0