cannabis being legalized and it being a sin.

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thats like saying abortion is okay because it's legal. Or to give a more direct analogy, its like saying women wearing bikinis at the beach is okay because men can swim shirtless, which is not comparable, because men's chests dont feed offspring, and legality doesnt make something right.

Do you agree with my analogy that marijuana in moderation where its legal is different from alcohol in moderation because abortion is legal and same sex marriage is legal and even gambling is legal in some places.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Or to give a more direct analogy, its like saying women wearing bikinis at the beach is okay because men can swim shirtless, which is not comparable, because men's chests dont feed offspring[...]
15898425-baby-milk-bottle-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Thats like saying abortion is okay because it's legal. Or to give a more direct analogy, its like saying women wearing bikinis at the beach is okay because men can swim shirtless, which is not comparable, because men's chests dont feed offspring, and legality doesnt make something right.

Do you agree with my analogy that marijuana in moderation where its legal is different from alcohol in moderation because abortion is legal and same sex marriage is legal and even gambling is legal in some places.

I am curious which laws Christians deem applicable today?

Are we still throwing out the OT?

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Cannabis is more likely to kill you with cancer because the harmful cancer causing toxins usually reside in your lungs longer as people hold it in, unlike cigarettes. I just read an article on it. It also is a hallucinogen which is different from alcohol. But mostly I think the argument is cancer.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Acts 5:29
But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cannabis is more likely to kill you with cancer because the harmful cancer causing toxins usually reside in your lungs longer as people hold it in, unlike cigarettes. I just read an article on it. It also is a hallucinogen which is different from alcohol. But mostly I think the argument is cancer.
Do you have a citation for Cannabis being more likely to lead to cancer? Those who smoke cigarettes usually are smoking during all waking hours vs cannabis. Also there are other ways to ingest cannabis aside from smoking. And finally, it is not a hallucinogen. There are arguments for and against use and legalization but using correct facts is important.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm confused on the bikini comparison because breasts are still covered.

I don't understand this analogy. Legal cannabis is different from legal alcohol because of legal abortion, gambling, and same sex marriage? Can you clarify? :scratch:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Do you gave a citation for Cannabis being more likely to lead to cancer? Those who smoke cigarettes usually are smoking during all waking hours vs cannabis. Also there are other ways to ingest cannabis aside from smoking. And finally, it is not a hallucinogen. There are arguments for and against use and legalization but using correct facts is important.

Yes facts, sure, this is from the government:CANNABIS USE AND RISK OF LUNG CANCER: A CASE-CONTROL STUDY

Conclusions:
Long term cannabis use increases the risk of lung cancer in young adults.

And the hallucinogen active in Marijuana is well known:What Kind of Drug Is Marijuana?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Do you gave a citation for Cannabis being more likely to lead to cancer? Those who smoke cigarettes usually are smoking during all waking hours vs cannabis. Also there are other ways to ingest cannabis aside from smoking. And finally, it is not a hallucinogen. There are arguments for and against use and legalization but using correct facts is important.

Also if marijuana is like tobacco with harmful components, which is what the other article I read said, then eating it will not decrease your chance of cancer, in fact it may increase it since it takes 48 hours for food to exit the body after consumption.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This from wikipedia regarding the effects of Marijuana:

Cannabis has psychoactive and physiological effects when consumed.[46] The immediate desired effects from consuming cannabis include relaxation and euphoria (the "high" or "stoned" feeling), a general alteration of conscious perception, increased awareness of sensation, increased libido[47] and distortions in the perception of time and space. At higher doses, effects can include altered body image, auditory and/or visual illusions, pseudohallucinations and ataxia from selective impairment of polysynaptic reflexes. In some cases, cannabis can lead to dissociative states such as depersonalization[48][49] and derealization.[50]

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,189,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thats like saying abortion is okay because it's legal.

Do you have any examples of someone making that argument?

Not at all.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes facts, sure, this is from the government:CANNABIS USE AND RISK OF LUNG CANCER: A CASE-CONTROL STUDY

Conclusions:
Long term cannabis use increases the risk of lung cancer in young adults.

And the hallucinogen active in Marijuana is well known:What Kind of Drug Is Marijuana?
I didn't really get into the study on lung cancer yet, but I appreciate the link. I will check it out when I have more time. Inhaling substances is just not a great idea in general, but those who use cannabis do have other ways to ingest.

The label of hallucinogenic is a bit more tenuous. Is Weed a Depressant, Stimulant, or Hallucinogen? Effects, Risks, More It is a possible effect in high doses but it is disingenuous to label cannabis as primarily a hallucinogen. It does sound scarier that way though.

I certainly advocate more in-depth scientific study now that it us legal in many states. There is certainly a lot of dubious information circulating from both those who wish to praise and those who wish to vilify.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟908,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also if marijuana is like tobacco with harmful components, which is what the other article I read said, then eating it will not decrease your chance of cancer, in fact it may increase it since it takes 48 hours for food to exit the body after consumption.
The study was for lung cancer specifically so we would need a different study associating cancer with cannabis ingestion. Burning a substance can alter its chemical composition which may be a factor as well.

• Optimistic
Reactions: devin553344
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That’s absolute hogwash. In fact, some say that marijuana might help prevent cancer.

Upvote 0