• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Candid about cannibalism

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Emmylouwho, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Emmylouwho

Emmylouwho Active Member

+120
    United States
    Christian Seeker
    Widowed
    There was another cannibalism thread that seemed to go off on tangents. I’d like to get back to the original topic: cannibalism. Does anyone here know anything about it?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Monk Brendan

Monk Brendan Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,762
    United States
    Melkite Catholic
    Private
    US-Others
    Why are you asking?

3. Emmylouwho

Emmylouwho Active Member

+120
    United States
    Christian Seeker
    Widowed
    To get educated. I’m a curious sort.

4. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

+417
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    There is not much ritual cannibalism anymore, but it may still be found in uncontacted tribes in New Guinea, or, the Amazon.

Cannibalism due to famine, or, other circumstances where hunger is present is more common than you would think, and people will resort to it sooner than expected.

When I was serving in the US Navy, I was involved in several medical humanitarian missions in a country that was just coming out of a famine. There were rumors of cannibalism. I never saw anyone eating another person, but these people were so torn up, so hopeless, and in a state of dispair. To be honest, it was the worst thing I ever saw in my life. It is possible that they had been impacted by the amount of death they were exposed to, and the murder, rape, violence, and abuse that accompany a societal collapse. My personal feeling is they ate each other to survive.

If this is some effort to make a case that communion is cannibalism, nice try, but I will not entertain your efforts.

5. Dropout_Theologian

Dropout_Theologian Not an ant in God's glorious library. Supporter

+266
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    Well the mothers ate their children during the siege of Jerusalem if I remember, and that was to be seen in a negative light.

6. topher694

topher694 Go Turtle!

+863
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    How could a thread on cannibalism ever go off on tangents?

7. Emmylouwho

Emmylouwho Active Member

+120
    United States
    Christian Seeker
    Widowed
    My inquiry is about the history and practice of non-necessity cannibalism. There seems to be a primitive religious aspect to it. I don’t know people versed in the subject and would like to converse with those that are. Someone brought the topic of cannibalism up on another thread and my interest was piqued. The thread dissolved into tangents and I’m picking back up on it. Thanks for your input.

8. Emmylouwho

Emmylouwho Active Member

+120
    United States
    Christian Seeker
    Widowed
    I’m a bit puzzled about that too. I’m new here, and this is what I get. Straight talkin bout cannibalism goes haywire.

9. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Sleep is for the weak

+2,605
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    Well, cannibalism is the practice of eating the flesh of one's own kind.

10. Emmylouwho

Emmylouwho Active Member

+120
    United States
    Christian Seeker
    Widowed
    I realize it’s been done by insane people and starving people. Do you think it’s ever been practiced as a religious thing?

11. Basil the Great

Basil the Great Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,291
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    Not to my knowledge, though ritual sacrifice was done by the Aztecs, probably for religious reasons.

12. Emmylouwho

Emmylouwho Active Member

+120
    United States
    Christian Seeker
    Widowed
    But not cannibalism?

13. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member

+2,168
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    May I swuggest that you research John Paton the missionary to the New Hebbridean islands inhabited by cannabals.
    try:-
    John G. Paton Apostle of Christ - Missionary Biographies - Worldwide Missions

14. Silverback

Silverback Well-Known Member

+417
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Your welcome...there is a disease out there called Kuru? If you look into this you may be able to follow it to where it occured, and perhaps you may find some leads. Best of luck.