CANCELED by Senior Admin: Banning "one sentence" or less than "ten word" replies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by lambslove
Sometimes one sentence says more than a thousand paragraphs!

Dear lamb,

Well that is true in some instances.

But you have to bear in mind that this is a PUBLIC forum. If you want to post simple personal messages to each other -please use the personal messenging service.

Cheers,

YM

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Phoenix
Is thanks for the response :) .. something that will get deleted ?

Yes I'm afraid, IMHO such personal posts carry a huge "PLEASE DELETE ME" banner. :) If you want to thank the poster with a simple sentence, you should use the personal messenging or email services.

If it really does contribute to the discussion, however, it will be allowed. One example is lambslove's reply in this thread.

Cheers,

YM

Upvote 0

Catchup

Feb 20, 2002
Earth bound
Visit site
✟2,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do not understand? This ban is not in regard to what is being said? A simple Amen...could be banned? Is it wrong for us to say thank you...or to simply say I understand...or I agree. Since when does quantity replace quality? I would rather you ban the long boring post. They are a waste of space...no one reads them except the writer. Is this something that Erwin wants?

:) LOVE

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Catchup
A simple Amen...could be banned? Is it wrong for us to say thank you...or to simply say I understand...or I agree. Since when does quantity replace...

I acknowledge that this rule sounds cruel. But we can't have people posting personal ditties and replies to one another. Such banter is better suited to personal email messages or private messages. Why must you say "Amen" or "thank you" but let everyone here hear about it? How does that help in the general discussion I pray?

Oh no... its 6.44am now...

Upvote 0

Catchup

Feb 20, 2002
Earth bound
Visit site
✟2,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Saying Amen and thank you and the like build up a sense of friendship ...tieing the Christian community together with LOVE. But if Erwin would rather have it cold and clinical? This does not seem like something he would want.

:) LOVE

lol I am beginning to think I will debate anything. :D
But seriously, the first time you delete an amen....I am out of here!

Upvote 0

jrmorganjr

Paladin
Feb 16, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
✟15,752.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with Catchup. There is a camraderie and "flow of conversation" to some posting. While it does get out of hand from time to time, I don't think any harm is done.

What harm is being done? I mean, I "should" use the ATM, but sometimes choose to go in to the teller just cause I like it better, sometimes. What authority do you have to say that we "should" use email or private messaging for a given thought? It's a question of style and personal preference. Vive le difference!

Put the tools in the hands of the people and let them make hay. There are enough forum rules about bad intent to justify moderators deleting morally inappropriate comments, whether they're one line or a page long.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
it is the one liners that have provoced friendship in the past with me.

why would one liners or people having a personal comment disrupt a forum , letalone a church???

I think from the response youv`e gotten on this idea yeumin that you would be against a large majority by doing this.

why does everything have to be serious all the time???

I love the one liners bebause they are quick to read and often hold a bit of a laugh (as long as that isn`t at someones expence it would be harmless.)

I have injoyed this forum in the last couple of days and don`t wish to get bogged down into deep discusions that no one ever changes there mind in.

that is just me but I am shore that those that don`t want to read the one liners can skip them easly but when ever you come up against one of those long posts , ya thing , Ohh my , do I have to read this, all of it????

there the ones that should be banned
or deleted.

hey yeumin , have I put enough dribble in this to avoid deletion. :D ;) J/K.

on a searious level , if you vote on this you will see a 100% vote against the Idea, I think.

there isn`t a rule that says you can`t have one liners is there.

havn`t we atleast got the liberty to live within the rules , I think maybe we have way to many modaraters that all want to do something within there authority???.

this is not good for the forum in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by jeopardy_chaos
it is the one liners that have provoced friendship in the past with me.

why would one liners or people having a personal comment disrupt a forum , letalone a church???

this is not good for the forum in my opinion.

As a moderator, I see several problems in this forum that deter many people from participating.

One of them is the large number of small inconsequential private messages- the "thank yous" "amens" "I totally agree with you" that cloud the forum.

Another problem are the posters who are unable or unwilling to make the effort to edit their emails. Their posts are way too long- filled with "dribble" as you say. They have frequent factual, spelling, and grammar mistakes. And they mispell posters' names. BTW my name is Yau-ming and not "yeumin".

This is simply plain wrong. If you want people to read your posts, a conscious effort should be made to avoid or correct such mistakes.

Frankly, I do not see how a forum thread filled with small little private "thank yous" add to the forum's knowledge. If the post messages were smaller, it wouldn't be so bad. But having to scroll through several pages filled with dozens of such private messages, really deters many people from reading the PETCA forum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by Yauming
Hello everyone,

Sorry to be away for so long. My computer caught a virus and I had to spend some time reformating and reinstalling my system.*

For the sake of trying to make the debates in this forum a little bit more serious, I have decided as a moderator to declare "open season" on (the power to delete) all replies which only contain *one sentence* or less than *ten words*. I am referring especially to posts which are purely personal replies. To avoid embarassing anyone, I won't use any examples. But if you examine some of the threads, you'll find too many examples of what I am referring to.

Such small posts should be directed via email or personal messenging. They contribute very little to the discussion and should definately NOT be posted on a public forum.

In summary, the moderators will be given the right to delete all "ten word" or "one sentence" replies.

I thank you for your understanding.

In Christ,

Yau-ming

BTW....
* Three recommendations I learnt: upgrade your system to latest security patches and programs, ie., upgrade to IE6 (only if u use IE),

Configure the options to "switch off preview panes" and "prevent auto download of attachments" in your email readers (Outlook Express 6 has this last option).

Direct all emails with attachments or a size larger than 20k to a quarantine folder.

Ok! :p

Upvote 0
yeuming,
I am sorry my illiteracy bother you so much.

I will get my wife to go through and correct my spelling for me so you can read it easyer ok. :p

I come hear to not only learn christianity but as god told me too , I am hear to learn to read and write better also .

so , excuse my iliteracys and help keep those posts short for me ok :D ;)

like say; "amen". I can read those posts quite well :D

by the Grace of god I may just gain extra learning hear if christians are patiant with my ignorance and iliteracy.

Upvote 0
I just want to say that as a woman who is married to a man who has trouble with spelling I think it is rude to attack someone that way. People with spelling problems know they have a problem. Accepting them for themselves and encouraging their growth with God is what is right, attacking their problem is damaging and shouldn't be done. I have tried myself to use the check spelling button after I post a reply and I seem to be using it wrong, I think we should welcome people for who they are, not how well they spell.

As far as editing in the way that was mentioned. I see a lot of arguments take place in these forums and I think it is wonderful for someone to say "I agree" or "I understand", it helps to encourage others to take a deep breath and really read what has been written.

Just my opinion, sorry if it compares to drivel.

Upvote 0

Catchup

Feb 20, 2002
Earth bound
Visit site
✟2,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No I'm afraid signatures do not count.... hmmmmm I feel another rule coming up.

I live in the good old USA...we enjoy freedom of speech!!

What is going on ??? One rule after another until nothing is left??????? Maybe you would like to write all the posts yeming? Then they would all possess worthy content and correct spelling!!!!

I think you are acting childish and insulting. Or maybe this world has a new god??

STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Go ahead and have me banned. If it is true that you can just write one rule after another.....then this is not anywhere I want to be!!!!

You are having a worse effect on the harmony of this board then all the posters combined!

:confused: LOVE

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.