Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"Prominent leaders of the convoys, including conspiracy theorist James Bauder, are not truckers themselves. Instead, right-wing agitators appear to be the ones behind the Trump and Confederate flags at the protests. More than 55% of the donations to the Christian fundraising website GiveSendGo for the protesters came from the United States.

Truckers’ organizations say the protests undermine the real concerns of truck drivers—wage theft, bad roads, and a lack of bathrooms—and worry that the convoys will hurt the public image of truckers."

Stephen Laskowski, the president of the Canadian Trucking Alliance, says his union members oppose the small numbers of truckers in this convoy and say it draws attention away from the real issues affecting their livelihoods and careers.

February 16, 2022 - by Heather Cox Richardson (substack.com)

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist

JustSomeBloke

Unacceptable Fringe Minority
Site Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
My Home
✟177,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Truckers’ organizations say the protests undermine the real concerns of truck drivers—wage theft, bad roads, and a lack of bathrooms—and worry that the convoys will hurt the public image of truckers."
If you can't work without having the contents of a syringe forced into your body against your will, then all of that is rather irrelevant. Bodily autonomy is the most basic human right of all. When you don't have bodily autonomy, you don't really have any rights at all.

As for public image, I suggest you try watching some convoy videos. You'll see hundreds of Canadians standing on highway bridges and embankments, waving Canadian flags, holding placards, and cheering the truckers on in temperatures of -15C.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As for public image, I suggest you try watching some convoy videos. You'll see hundreds of Canadians standing on highway bridges and embankments, waving Canadian flags, holding placards, and cheering the truckers on in temperatures of -15C.

I am not disputing that they have supporters. Statistics poste"d elsewhere here show that support reached a high of 35% and have plummeted daily the longer the blockade continues.

Perhaps the plummeting numbers of supporters are like me, who has thought from the very beginning, "What is the big deal about getting a vaccine? I'm a female senior citizen, not a strong, youthful trucker, and I have had six in the past year--2 Pfizer vaccines, 1 booster, 1 flu shot, 2 shingles vaccine. I'm still standing, I'm still healthy, and my family is still healthy. Getting vaccinated has increased my bodily autonomy and increased my freedom. It has allowed me to continue my active senior life as a volunteer, freelancer, musician, and exerciser. It has given me my social life back."

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I haven't been following this, but if this is a peaceful protest and/or non-violent civil disobedience with a Christ-like goal in mind (and remains that way), it would pretty much be the same as what Martin Luther King Jr. and Mohandas Gandhi did for their rights. They got positive results this way.[1] The French and Russian Revolutions, which were achieved through violence, ended in complete disaster by being replaced by much, MUCH worse governments. As Isaac Asimov said, "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
  1. Civil Disobedience and the Legacy of Martin Luther King Jr., by Chandra Mallampalli, Associate Professor of History - "In sum, the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his campaigns of civil disobedience are like a two-edged sword. On the one hand, his legacy holds social structures accountable to a moral universe, pressing them to serve all people, not simply members of one race or class. His legacy also pushes us toward a more capacious and inviting notion of what it means to be American. The other edge of his sword, however, applies to angry, wounded people. His message holds angry people accountable to the same moral universe. It calls on them to deal with anger constructively and redemptively, not through unkind, extreme, or destructive behavior. Dr. King held America accountable to its best self by drawing our attention to a larger vision in which all of us participate constructively. Will we take hold of that vision?"

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you find even a tiny glimmer of equivalency between India's fight for freedom and the Civil rights movement and truckers' refusal to follow simple, free public health measures to protect others and stem a pandemic?

Do you find willfully exposing others to preventable serious illness "Christ like?"

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you find even a tiny glimmer of equivalency between India's fight for freedom and the Civil rights movement and truckers' refusal to follow simple, free public health measures to protect others and stem a pandemic?

Do you find willfully exposing others to preventable serious illness "Christ like?"

Like I said:

I haven't been following this, but if this is a peaceful protest and/or non-violent civil disobedience with a Christ-like goal in mind (and remains that way)...

Please read more carefully. Nothing good comes from thinking emotionally and/or responding too fast. I make this mistake too many times. God bless.

On Feb. 17, 2022, at roughly 3:30 PM Eastern Time, I have added more content to this post. My apologies, I am a fallible human being who is predisposed towards selfishness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Who are you accusing of willfully exposing others to preventable serious illness? The Communist Chinese Government that allowed its citizens to travel internationally while restricting travel within China? Dr. Fauci and his cohorts that provide funding for gain of function research saying that even if it would willfully expose the public to preventable (preventable as in not purposely making them dangerous to humans) serious illness it would be worth it?

Reactions: JustSomeBloke
Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
On another note: If it's as bad as you say, then I would rather it remain as peaceful as it currently is than for it to turn into a flown blown revolution. This is my home. All flaws aside, I enjoy living here. Whether it's natural or man-made disasters, I hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and try to accept whatever the outcome is. God is in control, even if it doesn't feel like it very often. God bless!

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Getting vaccinated has increased my bodily autonomy and increased my freedom. It has allowed me to continue my active senior life as a volunteer, freelancer, musician, and exerciser. It has given me my social life back."

I know you truly believe this, but for a good many senior citizens I personally know that are not vaccinated, they never allowed the government to take their social life away in the first place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Conservative pundit Geraldo argued on Fox and friends that US conservative media helped incite these protests. Which then led to heated bickering that apparently draws viewers. He's their stooge who plays devil's advocate on Fox I reckon. No one else has courage to dare to utter the truth over there.

Geraldo says "conservative media" is spurring on Canada's trucker protest

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you can't work without having the contents of a syringe forced into your body against your will, then all of that is rather irrelevant. Bodily autonomy is the most basic human right of all. When you don't have bodily autonomy, you don't really have any rights at all.

Nobody thinks that. Not on this earth. Plagues are not a new feature of modern government intended to control you and take away your rights.
  • The Plague of Justinian. Painting showing the plague in Constantinople. ( ...
  • The Black Death. Scene of the plague in Florence. ( ...
  • The Italian Plague of 1629-31. ...
  • The Great Plague of London. ...
  • The Great Plague of Marseille. ...
  • The Third Plague Pandemic.
black-death_650x400_51453632543.jpg

image-placeholder-title.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Prominent leaders of the convoys, including conspiracy theorist James Bauder, are not truckers themselves. Instead, right-wing agitators appear to be the ones behind the Trump and Confederate flags at the protests. More than 55% of the donations to the Christian fundraising website GiveSendGo for the protesters came from the United States.

Stephen Laskowski, the president of the Canadian Trucking Alliance, says his union members oppose the small numbers of truckers in this convoy and say it draws attention away from the real issues affecting their livelihoods and careers.

February 16, 2022 - by Heather Cox Richardson (substack.com)
She is entitled to her opinion. I have seen several interviews with the truckers and they do not seem to be pawns in the hands of right wing agitators. They are betting their entire business and financial security.

• Agree
Reactions: bekkilyn
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I once took a part-time faculty position that required that I get an MMR vaccine. I got the shot. It wasn’t a big deal.

• Winner
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0