small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
November 11, 2018 marks the one hundredth anniversary of the end of World War I. Canada fought this war from the beginning but the last hundred days was our finest hour. It began with the Canadian Corps assault at Amiens. For the first time in four years the German defences collapsed completely and well disciplined and battle hardened German soldiers fled for their lives. When General Ludendorf reported to the Kaiser he was asked “We have lost the war haven’t we?” Ludendorf replied “Yes sir”.

Following this, the Canadian Corps fought five more major battles back to back ending with the Persuit to Mons where the Germans finally surrendered.

About half way through that hundred days the American Exoeditionary Force began its own offensive, fighting as a unified force entirely under its own command for the first time.

It is instructive to note the comparative performance of the two fighting forces:

Troops engaged:
Americans: 650,000
Canadians: 105,000
Duration of Operations:
Americans: 47 days
Canadians: 100 days
Maximum Distance Advanced:
Americans: 34 miles
Canadians: 86 miles​

German Divisions Defeated:
(Out of a total of 200)
Americans: 46
Canadians: 47
Average Number of Casualties Suffered per German Division Defeated:
Americans: 2,170
Canadians: 975​

Total Casualties:
Americans: 100,000
Canadians: 45,830​

The CC and the AEF each defeated about 25% of the German army. This puts into much better perspective the real contribution of the USA in ending the war.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
November 11, 2018 marks the one hundredth anniversary of the end of World War I. Canada fought this war from the beginning but the last hundred days was our finest hour. It began with the Canadian Corps assault at Amiens. For the first time in four years the German defences collapsed completely and well disciplined and battle hardened German soldiers fled for their lives. When General Ludendorf reported to the Kaiser he was asked “We have lost the war haven’t we?” Ludendorf replied “Yes sir”.

Following this, the Canadian Corps fought five more major battles back to back ending with the Persuit to Mons where the Germans finally surrendered.

About half way through that hundred days the American Exoeditionary Force began its own offensive, fighting as a unified force entirely under its own command for the first time.

It is instructive to note the comparative performance of the two fighting forces:

Troops engaged:
Americans: 650,000
Canadians: 105,000
Duration of Operations:
Americans: 47 days
Canadians: 100 days
Maximum Distance Advanced:
Americans: 34 miles
Canadians: 86 miles​

German Divisions Defeated:
(Out of a total of 200)
Americans: 46
Canadians: 47
Average Number of Casualties Suffered per German Division Defeated:
Americans: 2,170
Canadians: 975​

Total Casualties:
Americans: 100,000
Canadians: 45,830​

The CC and the AEF each defeated about 25% of the German army. This puts into much better perspective the real contribution of the USA in ending the war.

What are all the reasons the US should have even fought that war?

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
:mapleleaf::mapleleaf::thumbsup::handfist: Thanks to the Canadian vets who've served for our country's (and the world's) freedoms.

41pDE1H02mL.jpg

Reactions: MariaJLM
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
What are all the reasons the US should have even fought that war?

WWI is a prime example of "what if they held a war and no one came?" It was an imperial war pure and simple and solved nothing. Once started, national pride made it impossible to end without a decisive defeat. The entry of the USA certainly helped precipitate the end but I suspect that Germany would have been defeated anyhow.

if-world-war-one-war-a-bar-fight1.jpg

• Haha
Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
When people say we Canadians are weak I love to remind them of our success in WW I. It's quite possible that had we not participated the Germans would have won. We were crucial to winning that war, meanwhile America did not even join in until the tail end of it.

(Not that this is a jab at the US, but merely an observation.)

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
When people say we Canadians are weak I love to remind them of our success in WW I. It's quite possible that had we not participated the Germans would have won. We were crucial to winning that war, meanwhile America did not even join in until the tail end of it.

(Not that this is a jab at the US, but merely an observation.)

After their defeat at Amiens the German soldiers coined a new term for the Canadians --- "shock troops". They also called the kilted highland regiments the "Ladies from hell".

Upvote 0