small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's all politics folks, let us remember how Canada's Trudeau was playing hardball a couple of weeks ago and now he says this new deal is good for Canada.

Being a Canadian I would agree that it is a good deal for Canada. Trump wanted the dispute settling chapter 19 provisions of NAFTA removed completely so that the USA would be free to economically bully Canada and Mexico. That didn't happen. Trump also wanted a 5 year sunset clause. That didn't happen. NAFTA chapter 11 provisions are gone and that is a good thing. Canada's auto industry is well protected but we had to give a little on dairy. USA Big Pharma has better protection through extended patents. Canadian culture is protected. But the biggest deal of all for Trump is that he gets to name it! That's OK though because it really isn't a "free trade" deal anyway.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
But the biggest deal of all for Trump is that he gets to name it!
The biggest deal for Trump is probably that he gets to stop the unregulated inflow of Asian manufactured goods, including auto parts then used for assembly in the other two NA nations.

loophole-closure.jpg

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Canada agreed late Sunday to join the trade deal that the United States and Mexico reached last month, meeting negotiators’ self-imposed midnight deadline designed to allow the current Mexican president to sign the accord on his final day in office and (giving President Trump a big win on trade.)

Canada agrees to join trade accord with U.S. and Mexico, sending new NAFTA deal to Congress
And now, we have a horrible trade deal not much different from NAFTA. He will probably get the deal through Congress, since NAFTA was a Republican deal to start with. At least if they can do it before the elections. NAFTA 2.0: The Best, the Good, the Ugly, and the Ugliest | National Review

How can this be a Trump win if he caused the problem. Sound familiar?

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Many if not most of us would agree that Obama did not know how to make a good deal. Definitely not one of his strong points.

Trump appears to be very good at this and enjoys it.
Though I can't disagree with what you say about Obama, Trump is full of it but he knows that his supporters don't know much about economics. His tactics mirror those which brought about the Great Depression.(Tax cuts for the rich and raising tariffs)

The AFL-CIO is very cautious because too much is unknown, A Union release said "The bottom line is that we simply do not have enough information at this time to know whether NAFTA 2018 is in the economic interests of the United States".

It added:
  • The good: Improved labor rules, including detailed obligations to eradicate Mexico’s protection contracts, in the main body of the text; a meaningful reduction (but not an elimination) of unjustifiable special rights for foreign investors; and generally stronger content rules to prevent non-NAFTA countries from “free riding” on NAFTA tariff reductions.

• The bad: NAFTA 2018 moves backward from the original NAFTA in many areas important to working families, including with respect to “good regulatory practices” (code for using this trade agreement to attack important consumer, health, safety and environmental protections), financial services (providing new tools for Wall Street to attack efforts to rein in its continuing abuses), affordable medicines (extending monopolies for brand-name pharmaceuticals at the expense of affordability), and privacy of personal data.

Any wages for out sourced labor would have to be $16 an hour or about $33,000 a year before taxes.. Not enough to help economically but Mexicans would love it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
Canada relieved trade deal done, won't forget Trump attacks
TORONTO — Oct 4, 2018

- U.S. President Donald Trump vowed to make Canada pay after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he wouldn't be bullied in trade talks. Trump called Trudeau "weak" and "dishonest." He threatened tariffs on cars and slapped them on steel.

- The unprecedented attacks on America's closest ally left a bitter taste.

- The U.S. made few, if any concessions ... about 75 percent of Canada's exports go to the U.S., so preserving major elements of the North American Free Trade Agreement was crucial. Canada is one of the most trade-dependent countries in the world and Trump's talk of ripping up that deal and imposing a 25 percent tariff on the auto sector posed a serious economic threat.

- Roland Paris, a former foreign policy adviser to Trudeau, expressed relief that the deal is done but worried about the long-term relationship between the two countries.

- "Canadians won't forget Trump's disgraceful treatment of Canada. Our economic partnership has been reaffirmed, but trust can't be rebuilt with the stroke of a pen," Paris tweeted.

- The agreement reached Sunday shows a give-and-take between the two countries: It gives U.S. farmers slightly greater access to the Canadian dairy market, but provides Canada protection if Trump goes ahead with plans to impose tariffs on cars and auto parts imported into the U.S.

- If Canada or Mexico signed a deal with China, the U.S. could terminate its trade agreement with Canada or Mexico on a six-month notice. That may pose a problem for Canada which is eager to diversify its trade.

- "It's bizarre," Charest, the former Quebec premier, said. "I have never seen anything like that in a trade agreement."

- "The clause achieves a key policy imperative for the US; namely, shutting China's backdoor to North America through Canada and Mexico," Ujczo said. "Japan and Europe, as well as the rest of the world, should be on notice that this may be the price of admission to a trade deal with the U.S."

- Like many other Canadians, Rosen feels Canada hasn't been treated with respect, referring to the personal attacks and steel exports that are still subject to U.S. tariffs over what Trump calls national security concerns.

- "I am a Canadian. I am polite and respectful. Even when I'm dealing with a hard business issue I don't belittle people, I don't insult them," Rosen said. "As a Canadian, the whole approach that has been taken (by the U.S.) has been offensive and I don't think Canadians will forget it."

- Trump said last week he didn't like Canada's trade negotiator in an apparent reference to Freeland. And, at one point, Trump's trade adviser Peter Navarro said there was "a special place in hell" for Trudeau.

- "It has been shocking and disappointing and upsetting," said Bruce Heyman, a former U.S. ambassador to Canada. "It has been traumatic. I just don't think it gets wiped away and resolved with an agreement in principle on the trade agreement."

- Trump's mistreatment reinforces a worry among Canadians that their much larger neighbor is taking advantage of Canada, Heyman added.

- Bothwell, the University of Toronto professor, warned of lingering damage to relations.

- "Trump treated it like a real estate deal when he was a shyster in Atlantic City," Bothwell said.

- "But this is nation to nation. And that's different. And it's connected to other things," he added. "Trump really doesn't grasp that and doesn't care."

Canada relieved trade deal done, won't forget Trump attacks
Canada agrees with new NAFTA deal

"The Donald" and his supporters probably don't care, but it was possible for America to conduct trade negotiations without treating its neighbor in a disrespectful manner - especially a neighbour with which it shares 5250 miles of "unwalled" border!

The Trump Administration had better hope that this outcome was really worth it, and not just an exercise whose sole purpose was to satisfy one man's ego - given that Canadians, for the foreseeable future, will be seriously questioning the supposed bonds of friendship that they had assumed existed between them and their American neighbors!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
#1 -- World politics and negotiations aren't always easy. The weak need not apply.

#2 -- Trump's style may not fit everyone but, his end results seem to be pleasing to many.

#3 -- All parties involved have now reached agreement time to move on.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
it was possible for America to conduct trade negotiations without treating its neighbor in a disrespectful manner - especially a neighbour with which it shares 5250 miles of "unwalled" border!

The Trump Administration had better hope that this outcome was really worth it, and not just an exercise whose sole purpose was to satisfy one man's ego
I have little doubt that Canadian media is spinning this in accordance with the sentiments of your post, but the fact is that relations were cordial until Trudeau backstabbed Trump right after Trump had left the G8 (I think it was) summit Canada was hosting, even while Trump was still on the plane. Trump had thought they were working toward an agreement, and that's when it went south. And Freeland taking time off from bilateral NAFTA negotiations to attend a virulent Trump-bashing conference was only an honest expression of what her attitude has been throughout. There is no shortage of opinion that Trudeau alienated Trump intentionally in order to gin up anti-Trump sentiment for his own political purposes. And he did this by putting the wellbeing of millions of Canadian auto workers, and indeed the entire Canadian economy, in jeopardy. Indeed, Trudeau is on record very early-on saying very negative and personal things against Trump, but Trump initially overlooked this in order to try to reach an agreement without roiling relations between the two nations.

Trump's main goal was to stop the job-killing entry of cheap auto parts into the US, and this he achieved. The dairy thing, while valid, was just the tip of the spear, and it worked. I'm sure that Trump means it when he expresses his approval of the current trade agreement, which gives him effective veto over any deal Canada makes that affects foreign auto parts entering the US.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The deal is in the making and the big boys should move on to other things.

The US (for now) got what they wanted and Canada says they are happy.

Probably nobody remembers but, the goats predicted this a long time ago that the two would negotiate and come together while many were whining that the United States was mistreating one of their favorite allies.

Time to -- be happy now.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Norbert L

Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Many if not most of us would agree that Obama did not know how to make a good deal. Definitely not one of his strong points.

Trump appears to be very good at this and enjoys it. We might only have Trump in office for a short while? Let's support our President and see what he can accomplish. He will be judged later in history. Why should some try to destroy the man before he even got started and when we are not even sure what he can accomplish?

I'm not sure why but, I keep thinking that the evil one may be playing a part here? For we know that he wants nothing good for us and only wishes to seek and destroy. Is that not what many wish for Trump ( to seek and destroy)?

As Trump would say, how sad.

M-Bob
I don't think it's as simple as former President Obama didn't know how to make a good deal. When it comes to his approach, I think it's more like Neville Chamberlain coming back from Germany in the 1930's and announcing "peace for our time".

I think that approach of being the likable humble guy, let's all be likable humble guys at trade talks/international agreements, overlooks the natural inclination in peoples world wide to expand their own self interests.

Sure we all can be this type of person sitting down at the same table but that won't change anyone's self interest. Like the saying, "You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy", no matter which country on Earth you come from.

I believe President Trump's adversarial approach tends to lay bare what's underneath all of us. Who wants to see that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
I have little doubt that Canadian media is spinning this in accordance with the sentiments of your post, but the fact is that relations were cordial until Trudeau backstabbed Trump right after Trump had left the G8 (I think it was) summit Canada was hosting, even while Trump was still on the plane. Trump had thought they were working toward an agreement, and that's when it went south. And Freeland taking time off from bilateral NAFTA negotiations to attend a virulent Trump-bashing conference was only an honest expression of what her attitude has been throughout. There is no shortage of opinion that Trudeau alienated Trump intentionally in order to gin up anti-Trump sentiment for his own political purposes. And he did this by putting the wellbeing of millions of Canadian auto workers, and indeed the entire Canadian economy, in jeopardy. Indeed, Trudeau is on record very early-on saying very negative and personal things against Trump, but Trump initially overlooked this in order to try to reach an agreement without roiling relations between the two nations.

Trump's main goal was to stop the job-killing entry of cheap auto parts into the US, and this he achieved. The dairy thing, while valid, was just the tip of the spear, and it worked. I'm sure that Trump means it when he expresses his approval of the current trade agreement, which gives him effective veto over any deal Canada makes that affects foreign auto parts entering the US.
As usual, Trump turned the negotiations into a "blood sport" - personal and nasty, attempting to intimidate his opponents to get a "quick "win," with no apparent thought as to the long term impact on US/Canada relations.

Even Bruce Heyman, a former U.S. ambassador to Canada, has characterized America's approach to these "negotiations" as, " ... shocking and disappointing and upsetting. It has been traumatic. I just don't think it gets wiped away and resolved with an agreement in principle on the trade agreement."

Upvote 0