• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Can Your Christianity Help a Dying Man?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by jimmyjimmy, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Hammster

Hammster Safeism is the new religion. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+21,328
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    The thief died believing the gospel.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. jimmyjimmy

jimmyjimmy Pardoned Rebel Supporter

+5,647
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Jesus died before either thief did, and the gospel goes back to Genesis 3:15. Many believed it, and they are all saved by the blood of Christ.

3. pshun2404

pshun2404 Newbie

+549
    Non-Denom
    Married
    It is not about what one says they will accept or believe or even simply believing IN GOD (the devils also believe)...it is about understanding the redemptive purpose...

The gospel is NOT accept Jesus or go to hell...the gospel is you are going to go to hell because all have sinned and sin cannot remain ion the presence of God...(what we call Hell ios the place designed by God for all those who cannot remain in His presence)...and the person and work of His Christ (beginning with Genesis 3:15) IS the means of remissing those sins...it is the pardon offered...and it is free, given to those who faithe (believe God not just in Him).

Even Ghandi understood this...the premise is, to get off the wheel of life (continuous reincarnation) and be elevated to the spiritual realm, one has to eliminate their bad Karma (have their sins replaced, remissed, or dealt with)...in the Bible Jesus IS that way...He is the remission of sin.

4. pshun2404

pshun2404 Newbie

+549
    Non-Denom
    Married
    That's all it takes...the gospel IS the power of God unto salvation...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. timewerx

timewerx the village i--o--t--

+5,071
    Christian Seeker
    Single
    Proof of belief is this:

John 14:12
    Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

The first two verses you mentioned requires proof. Nearly impossible to have when you're about to die.

God knows our hearts yes... But it goes both ways.

I'm not saying a deathbed salvation is impossible, as there can be other factors involved. But I wouldn't want to bet on it. Like you said, God knows our hearts....

If someone only became accepting of our faith because death is staring them at their face (same thing as someone putting a gun to their head). Would that be a genuine repentance? It's probably not.

6. 2Timothy2:15

2Timothy2:15 Well-Known Member

+1,210
    Christian
    Married
    Romans Road is a good way.

What is the Romans Road to salvation?

Romans 10
    8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

7. Hammster

Hammster Safeism is the new religion. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+21,328
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Only if it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. 2Timothy2:15

+1,210
    Christian
    Married
    Hogwash, it is ever too late to receive the Lord. What about the thief on the cross? I have seen people saved on their death bed. Jesus grace is that awesome!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. 2Timothy2:15

+1,210
    Christian
    Married
    Sorry but if you loved them you would want them saved for eternity not comforted on their way to hell.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. 2Timothy2:15

+1,210
    Christian
    Married
    Preaching the gospel is not manipulating anyone. No one comes to the son unless they are drawn by the Father. But they can not be drawn unless they hear the gospel. The Lord can do miracles in peoples heart and it is not up to us to decide who can hear and who the Lord softens hearts.

Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

We are commanded to preach the gospel.

11. 2Timothy2:15

+1,210
    Christian
    Married
    No he did not die under the OT it became the new covenant because Jesus was paying the price and Jesus promised him. Jesus is not a liar. Jesus made a covenant right there and then. Today you will be with me in paradise.

12. ByTheSpirit

ByTheSpirit Pray always!!

+3,163
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Sureeeee.... the second covenant wasn't enacted until Jesus was dead (and had risen)

“Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions committed under the first covenant. For where a will is involved, the death of the one who made it must be established. For a will takes effect only at death, since it is not in force as long as the one who made it is alive.”
    ‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭9:15-17‬ ‭ESV‬‬

13. TheSeabass

TheSeabass Well-Known Member

+357
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Paul said to work out your own salvation so God works in those that obey Him and those who were never Christians cannot, on their death bed moments from dying, work out their salvation.

14. TheSeabass

+357
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I cannot show you what does not exist, that is, I cannot show you where the NT gospel teaches death bed salvation when it doesn't. Can you show/prove that it does?

15. TheSeabass

+357
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Can you show me where the disobedient receives God's grace and be saved anyway?

16. nonaeroterraqueous

nonaeroterraqueous Nonexistent Member

+2,669
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    The thief on the cross who repented was on his deathbed.

That's a fallacious argument. You make the positive assertion and demand that your opponent prove you wrong. The onus is always on the one making the positive assertion, or I could claim limitless things that you could never disprove. You have no reason at all to believe that the thief was ever baptized, and that's all the rebuttal anyone ever needs to give you.

The thief on the cross.

In fifteen minutes, that dying person is a lump of compost. You would waste every last minute of that tending to needs that amount to nothing in as little as one second later. The appropriateness of an act of futility is nothing compared to at least addressing the person's afterlife, which is about the only thing left of any relevance at all. I see no reason to worry excessively about making polite conversation to a lump of compost.

By the way, with no offence intended, I have never yet seen someone call another person sanctimonious (self-righteous) who was not guilty of that very thing.

Probably not means possibly so. That's enough reason to try.

Death is staring you in the face right now. Is your acceptance invalid? Whether it's fifteen years or fifteen minutes, it's only a matter of degree. I'm terrified by the thought of living less than a thousand years. From the perspective of the angels, you're practically going to die tomorrow.

As far as the matter of proof is concerned, don't confuse the proof of the matter with the reality of the matter. There are many truths that can never be proved but are no less real.

17. seashale76

seashale76 Orthodox Christian and Unapologetic Iconodule

+3,991
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I've been in this situation as I've cared for a few dying folks considering my unit has a few hospice scatter beds (I'm a nurse). I cannot convince anyone of anything. By the time one is dying they are generally set in their ways. Actually- quite a few folks are not interactive when they are in the process of dying. It is up to their own convictions and God calling them to Himself at that point. I care for them. I silently pray for them. If they express a want or need for anything spiritual- I help them by calling the Chaplain (but this is something that generally occurs well before they are in their last moments). I've heard of a deathbed baptism at the hospital recently- but it was the patient's family that wanted it. I'm not certain the dying individual was concerned about this at all or even aware of what was going on.

18. 2Timothy2:15

+1,210
    Christian
    Married
    You should study Hebrews 9 in it's entirety and in context. You should also study all the passages. Surely you are free to believe what you want but I think after doing an honest study you may change your view based on scripture.

Was the Thief on the Cross Saved Under the Old Covenant or New? | Dane's Place

Hebrews 9:15-17 -  The New Covenant is Now In Force

19. ByTheSpirit

+3,163
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    The thief on he cross died under the Old Covenant

20. ByTheSpirit

+3,163