Can I Speak in Tongues Anytime on Command?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faithful Servant

Feb 4, 2005
kentucky
✟15,349.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Politics
US-Republican
i was taught to speak in tongues 23 years ago soon after I found Jesus. I am currently attending an apostolic church. i was told that that this was wrong. I was also told that people can not speak in tongues anytime that they want to but only when the Holy Spirit gives them utterance. Would you share your experiences and beliefs in this matter with me. thank you. I have also been told that I am not saved until I speak in tongues. barbara

~RENEE~

Legend
Jan 21, 2005
home
✟28,526.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ogg55 said:
i was taught to speak in tongues 23 years ago soon after I found Jesus.

Please explain this to me because no man can teach you to speak in tongues. Togues is the language of Of the Holy Spirit only He can give you a different tongue.

Upvote 0

Faithful Servant

Feb 4, 2005
kentucky
✟15,349.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Politics
US-Republican
well explaining would be hard to do. i was at the alter seeking the Holy Spirit and this woman approached me and asked me if i was seeking the Holy Spirit. i said that i was. she knelt down beside me and said that there was an easier way. she said she could teach me to speak in tongues and that it wasnt necessary to remain at the alter seeking Him. She also told me not to tell anyone in church because they would be angry and not understand. She said it works just the same. i was ignorant at the time and figured that she claimed to know and i knew that i didnt know so i listened to her. it is hard to go back 23 years in time to remember exactly what she taught me. how can i tell if i have the Holy Spirit or not?

Upvote 0

~RENEE~

Legend
Jan 21, 2005
home
✟28,526.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ogg55 said:
i was taught to speak in tongues 23 years ago soon after I found Jesus. I am currently attending an apostolic church. i was told that that this was wrong. I was also told that people can not speak in tongues anytime that they want to but only when the Holy Spirit gives them utterance. Would you share your experiences and beliefs in this matter with me.
thank you. I have also been told that I am not saved until I speak in tongues. barbara

I received the baptism in the Holy Spirit With the evidence of speaking in other tongues at a young age. The bible says the spirit of a prophet is subject to the prophet. Yes you can speak in tongues when you want. That is much of my prayer language. As far as speak in tongues to be saved hogwash. Jesus is your salvation not tongues. If you accepted Jesus as Lord and Saviour than you are saved tongues or not. Tongues is of the Holy Spirit. It is Him speaking through you. Tongues has nothing to do with salvation.

Upvote 0

~RENEE~

Legend
Jan 21, 2005
home
✟28,526.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ogg55 said:
well explaining would be hard to do. i was at the alter seeking the Holy Spirit and this woman approached me and asked me if i was seeking the Holy Spirit. i said that i was. she knelt down beside me and said that there was an easier way. she said she could teach me to speak in tongues and that it wasnt necessary to remain at the alter seeking Him. She also told me not to tell anyone in church because they would be angry and not understand. She said it works just the same. i was ignorant at the time and figured that she claimed to know and i knew that i didnt know so i listened to her. it is hard to go back 23 years in time to remember exactly what she taught me. how can i tell if i have the Holy Spirit or not?

An easier way I don't think so. My dear what ever that woman taught you forget it. The bible says that tongues is from the Holy Spirit. No one can teach you to speak in tongues unless it is a false tongue. You were right to seek the Holy Spirit. Do it again this time don't stop for anyone or anything.

Upvote 0
O

onelamb

You know, if you've been using your language to pray and praise God-be thankful. Jesus has baptised you in His Holy Spirit. Just because she gave you a few pointers to make it easier doesn't mean you've been faking it all along-If you were, you'ld know you were. You CAN speak in tongues anytime you want. The Spirit gives you the utterance and also the desire to do this. You cannot manifest the gift of tongues at will-but praying in tongues is just like praying in your native tongue-you can start or stop at anytime-the Holy Spirit will give you the words to say-but you do the speaking.

"THEY began to speak as the Spirit enabled them"-Acts 2:4

Upvote 0

Faithful Servant

Feb 4, 2005
kentucky
✟15,349.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Politics
US-Republican
thank you that is encouraging. my friend at this church i am currently attending told me that she cannot speak in tongues any time she wants and she said she has asked others this same question and they told her they couldnt speak in tongues anytime they wanted. i just need to know for sure if i have the gift of tongues or not. thanks

Upvote 0

theywhosowintears

Jan 9, 2005
Outback, Australia
✟983.00
Faith
Pentecostal
ogg55 said:
I have also been told that I am not saved until I speak in tongues. barbara

We speak in tongues as the Spirit gives us utterance. You have to make a conscious decision to open your mouth and let the words happen. So it's a collaboration between you and the Holy Spirit

You ARE saved even if you don't speak in tongues...the criterea for salvation is. IF you BELIEVE in your HEART and CONFESS with your MOUTH that Jesus is Lord, You WILL be saved!

Peace

Upvote 0

John 10:10

Jul 29, 2004
Nashville area
✟560.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I was "filled with the Holy Spirit" 34 years ago. As I continued to seek for the "baptism with the Holy Spirit," 6 months later the Lord spoke these words to me:

"My son, I filled you with the gift of the Holy Spirit 6 months ago. The gift of tongues is a gift I desire all my children to have whom I have filled with the Holy Spirit. The gift is yours if you in faith choose to partake of this gift."

So in faith I opened my mouth and began speaking tongues as the Spirit gave utterance. As I exercised more and more praying in the Spirit in my prayer language, I realized I could pray in tongues "anytime" I chose.

Prophesying in tongues with interpretation is "not" something you can do anytime you wish, but it is a gifting that becomes better through exercise as you learn to separate your prayer language from the anointing tongues/interpretation gift of the Holy Spirit.

You do not need to do any of this to be saved, but it sure helps you along the journey into eternity with Jesus.

Blessings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ogg55 said:
i was taught to speak in tongues 23 years ago soon after I found Jesus. I am currently attending an apostolic church. i was told that that this was wrong. I was also told that people can not speak in tongues anytime that they want to but only when the Holy Spirit gives them utterance. Would you share your experiences and beliefs in this matter with me. thank you. I have also been told that I am not saved until I speak in tongues. barbara
You can speak in tongues anytime you want. It is a function of the spirit of Christ in you. If you do not do it, it will not happen.

"...when I pray in an unknown tongue, MY spirit prays..."

Upvote 0

seremela06

Senior Veteran
Jan 6, 2005
Florida
✟3,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I can speak in tongues pretty much anytime I want. And whoever told you that you're not saved until you can was full of it. That's so not true! Tongues is a spiritual gift. Not everyone can have that specific gift. It's in the Bible. It's just like prophecy. Not everyone is a prophet.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You can prophesy any time you want to...
In fact... you have both prophesied and prayed in tongues many times. You just did not know what you were doing when you were doing it.
We just need to learn to do it "on purpose, with purpose.."

Upvote 0

Faithful Servant

Feb 4, 2005
kentucky
✟15,349.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Politics
US-Republican
PoetSaskia said:
I couldn't always speak in tongues anytime I wanted, but now I'm at a point in my life where it seems that I can.
poetsaskia, please explain what you mean when you say you couldnt always speak in tongues? i have heard people say that. i asked the pastor of this church i attended earlier this week and he said a person cannot turn on and off speaking in tongues. he said this was most likey gibberish. how can i tell if it is the holy spirit or just me talking?

Upvote 0

PoetSaskia

Nov 30, 2004
✟475.00
Faith
Pentecostal
ogg55 said:
poetsaskia, please explain what you mean when you say you couldnt always speak in tongues? i have heard people say that. i asked the pastor of this church i attended earlier this week and he said a person cannot turn on and off speaking in tongues. he said this was most likey gibberish. how can i tell if it is the holy spirit or just me talking?
when I was first baptised in the Holy Spirit, I could speak in tongues when I wanted. But then I went through a very hard time for perhaps a year. I was suffering from a mental illness, and my relationship with God was hurt, and I was mad at God because I believed things that weren't true. I hardly ever spoke in tongues during that time. But I gradually got better, and God let me know those things I believed weren't true, and my relationship with God was restored, and now I pray in tongues every day, and it does seem that I can do it whenever I want. As for whether or not you can turn it on or off, I was taught that one of Paul's letters where he addressed speaking in tongues was written because people were speaking in tongues too much, or when they shouldn't. That would indicate that you can turn it on and off. As for how you can tell if it's the Holy Spirit or you, I don't make any effort or really try to speak in tongues. It's more like I yield to the Spirit and the tongues just come out. I am not moving my tongue myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Adammi

A Nicene Christian not in CF's Xians Only Club
Sep 9, 2004
✟26,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You have been taught to of the scums of Petencostalism.
1. You must speaking tongues in order to be saved. That's a bunch of trash.
2. You can be taught to speak in tognues. It hurts my spirit so much to see this gift of God abused. It makes me want to vomit.
I notice that you have the Church of God Cross, I encourage you to begin attending a COG, AOG, COGOP, COGIC, or other Bible Abiding Pentecostal Church.

The Church of God is right hallelujah to the Lamb!!!!!

Upvote 0

seremela06

Senior Veteran
Jan 6, 2005
Florida
✟3,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ogg55 said:
a person cannot turn on and off speaking in tongues.

Of course a person can turn it on and off. We have a free will. When the spirit comes over you, you speak in tongues, but you can stop anytime you want to.

Upvote 0

Br_Rhoades

Jan 5, 2005
Urbana IL (home of HAL)
✟493.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ogg55 said:
I did not read all the replies to this and may be preaching to the AMEN section, but.
The gift of our prayer language and the gift of tongues are two different operations. Yes the gift of Tongues is an operation of the Holy Ghost and is directed by the Holy Ghost. The tongues as evidenced on the day of Pentecost was a heavenly prayer language that is from the Holy Ghost that abides in us now and forever, I speak in tongues – sing in tongues and do it as a part of my Christian walk not by ‘feeling’ but by ‘faith’ in the Holy Bible. At times the Gift of Tongues will manifest and the interpretation by the same Spirit but this is not the same as praying in tongues.

Upvote 0

jprovis

Mar 5, 2005
Newark, DE, USA
Visit site
✟143.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
You have been taught to of the scums of Petencostalism.

Hey - let's keep it friendly, ok?

1. You must speaking tongues in order to be saved. That's a bunch of trash.

From Mark 16 (KJV):
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. 17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

When God filled me with His Spirit, it came with all the features (signs following) included. Tongues is one of these. There's no such thing as optional extras - it's all or nothing.

On the subject of being taught to speak in tongues - no. Only God can do that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.