• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Can you sell your soul?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kaykay9.0

Can I tell you right off the bat that this sounds like an "OCD-driven" statement to me?;) Let me just say that I don't believe you can accidentally, unintentionally sell your soul or anyone else's to the Devil. This could get pretty deep theologically, but in a sense, since Adam sinned, our souls were all sold out to sin or the devil. However, Jesus through His death positionally redeemed mankind. Not sure exactly what YOU mean when you say to sell "sold to the Devil" but again, this sounds like an OCD-related fear to me.

As you know, OCD loves to set up dilemnas in which we worry about being forgiven by God. In this case, this sounds like just another one of this nature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
K

kaykay9.0

Thanks but I mean like if I said "if I do this" then I selling my soul and then I do that thing. But I don't want to sell my soul... but I still did that thing. :(
I thought that was probably kinda what you meant.
I think this is your OCD attempting to get you feeling like you have backed yourself into a corner. Just renounce it in the name of Jesus. I don't believe there is any scenario by which we cannot turn to Jesus as long as we still have the desire within us to do so. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0

stalag

Oct 27, 2006
✟7,643.00
Faith
Christian
Yes, after getting sober my childhood ocd returned with a vengence after just a few weeks. The hallmark ocd ideation that stuck was the overwhelming, ever present, demanding, compelling, torturous, tormenting words trying always to get through, "I sell my soul to the devil." Those words followed and tortured me for many years. They ruled my life. They now have no hold on me.

I have a new set of words trying always to get through. They concern one son. The other son, is the trigger for the words to go through. Although they don't necessarily need the other son, for the words to go through. What ever causes the most pain is always the bottom line of the torturer. This set of words trumps the other in pain. Worse than the fear of me going to hell, which was what was behind the devil and soul words.

Upvote 0

stalag

Oct 27, 2006
✟7,643.00
Faith
Christian
question one----can you sell your soul. question two-- can you put a curse on a beloved son. Behind selling your soul, is the fear of hell for eternity. Behind putting a curse on your son, is seeing and knowing and fearing the worst possible scenario for the one you love the most. and you caused it. Over and over again, each time the words get through, or you say them in your mind out of desperation. This just might be the time the curse works!!! Always, probably the worst and most terrorizing thought!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
K

kaykay9.0

guys,
this is just like the OCD struggle of fear of "blaspheming the Holy Spirit." This is just kaykay's .02;)but I suspect most theologians would agree with me that you cannot blaspheme the Holy Spirit, sell your soul to the Devil or curse someone in some kind of accidental, unintentional way.

These fears are simply your OCD talking to you. Just because these thoughts or statements occur in your mind does not make them real or valid in any way. It's OCD pure and simple. Been there. Once I realized and really believed that these kind of thoughts were simply mind clutter and had no spiritual significance, they ended. I still have my own OCD struggles but not this one. Prayers for you~:hug:

Upvote 0
Nov 20, 2008
✟8,438.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
I was afraid of this very thing. I thank the good Lord, he is helping me to finally see the truth through others here, through treatment. I struggle with this kind of thing, but not like I was. I pray it gets easier for you too. I know it is a long road ahead, but Praise Jesus for being her for me.

Happy SUNDAY

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

emilylauren

Jan 9, 2009
✟7,936.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As far as I know there is no biblical refrence to being able to sell your soul to anyone, even the devil. The closest that comes to that is the man who 'lost his soul but gained the world' which seems to speak of the man who gained worldy possessions but never developed a faith in Jesus.

I've struggled with this thought myself for years! Only now am I coming to understand that it is my OCD that is causing these things. I'm not certain that even if you wanted to that you could really 'sell' your soul to the devil. You can reject Jesus as your Savior, but I don't think you can 'sell yourself' to Satan.

Upvote 0

keryakos

Jan 12, 2009
✟1,706.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As far as I know there is no biblical refrence to being able to sell your soul to anyone, even the devil. The closest that comes to that is the man who 'lost his soul but gained the world' which seems to speak of the man who gained worldy possessions but never developed a faith in Jesus.

I've struggled with this thought myself for years! Only now am I coming to understand that it is my OCD that is causing these things. I'm not certain that even if you wanted to that you could really 'sell' your soul to the devil. You can reject Jesus as your Savior, but I don't think you can 'sell yourself' to Satan.

exactly ..... and let me add in order to sell something you must own it ..well you didnt create youre soul you didnt bring it into being life was given to you by God and something it will return to God as well as youre soul will..

IT ISN'T YOURES TO SALE

Also if you are saved you were bought at Calvary so unless you are more pwerful that the atoning blood of Christ then you can't sell youre soul .

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.