Jan 23, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟401.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Republican
Today at 09:45 PM JohnR7 said this in Post #3 (http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=708874#post708874)

Global warming is based on the North Pole getting warmer. In order for it to get warmer all of that cold air has to go somewhere. It does not just disappear.

That whole paragraph is filled with so many untruthes that I feel dumber for just reading it.

Global warming is based the average global temperature. Surprisingly global warming models predict a COLDER winter on average for those latitudes closer to the poles.

Generaly on the short term, the jet stream may cut across the artic bringing up warm air to the poles, while pushing the cold air downstream to lower latitudes. So in that sense, yes the cold air goes somewhere. But for long term issues like global warming, you certainly don't need the cold air to go somewhere to have warm air, your just heating the air that is already there.

Upvote 0
Today at 04:45 PM JohnR7 said this in Post #3

Global warming is based on the North Pole getting warmer. In order for it to get warmer all of that cold air has to go somewhere. It does not just disappear.

Cold is a absense of heat. Cold can't "go" anywhere.

In other words cold is: The result of having no heat.

Upvote 0

Morat

Untitled One
Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
✟12,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Wow. Another person confusing global temperature with climate with weather. How fun!

It's very simple: Just because average global temperature rises, doesn't mean it gets hotter everywhere. It's that sneaky "average" bit.

Global warming predicts cooling trends in some regions, warming trends in others. Global warming affects climate which effects weather.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Today at 04:55 PM Melchior said this in Post #4
So in that sense, yes the cold air goes somewhere.

Yeah, like I said, the cold air had to go somewhere and we got it. Some years the cold artic air never leaves the north pole and we have a mild winter. But once you start getting artic air, then you can pretty well count on having a cold winter.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Today at 05:11 PM DocBrown said this in Post #5
Cold is a absense of heat. Cold can't "go" anywhere.

In other words cold is: The result of having no heat.

Everything goes somewhere. It does not just cease to be. That is why solar systems are synchronize so much. Things get transfer from one place to another. For example, the spindown rate of the earth is transfer to the receding rate of the moon. Or at least the momentium from one gets transfered to the other.

Upvote 0

DNAunion

Sep 9, 2002
Visit site
✟1,109.00
Morat: Wow. Another person confusing global temperature with climate with weather. How fun!

DNAunion: Who cares...it's not like anyone in this forum is discussing science and using the scientifically correct definitions for terms....right Morat?!?! After all, if they were, nobody would say something as scientifically incorrect as the Earth revolves around its axis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private

I said "data", not opinions of one side dressed up to look like science.

Science itself has over 500 articles on global warming over the last 5 years it has been online. Some examples include:

Warming of the World Ocean Sydney Levitus, John I. Antonov, Timothy P. Boyer, and Cathy Stephens Science 2000 March 24; 287: 2225-2229. (in Research Articles)
Synchronous Tropical South China Sea SST Change and Greenland Warming During Deglaciation M. Kienast, S. Steinke, K. Stattegger, and S. E. Calvert Science 2001 March 16; 291: 2132-2134.  
Mechanisms of Climate Warming at the End of the Paleocene  Santo Bains, Richard M. Corfield, and Richard D. Norris Science 1999 July 30; 285: 724-727.
Dynamics of Recent Climate Change in the Arctic Richard E. Moritz, Cecilia M. Bitz, and Eric J. Steig Science 2002 August 30; 297: 1497-1502.
External Control of 20th Century Temperature by Natural and Anthropogenic Forcings 
 Peter A. Stott, S. F. B. Tett, G. S. Jones, M. R. Allen, J. F. B. Mitchell, and G. J. Jenkins  Science 2000 December 15; 290: 2133-2137

Schlepp on over to your local public library and start reading about the data, not political commentary and conservative politics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Melchior

Jan 23, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟401.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Republican
Today at 04:27 AM MichaelFJF said this in Post #16

Global temps are cyclical. Look at history. The fact that temps have risen 1 degree in the last hundred years means nothing. M

Global warming is not a myth. There was lots of debate about the accuracy of the data in the early 90s, but no crediable scientist debates now that we are indead in a warming trend, and have been on and off since the last ice age.

The debate is if the current rate of the 1 degree it has increased in the past 20 years is a result of human influence or natural flucations. I am not convinced either way yet, though there is no doubt that we are still getting warmer, and that will have an impact on sea levels and local growing seasons.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Today at 09:18 AM Melchior said this in Post #17

Global warming is not a myth.

When I see how cold this last winter was I do not question Global warming. You have warm air going north to where they had a very mild winter in Alaska this year, but all the cold air moving south. I just wish they would send it to Nevada or death valley or someplace where they could afford to be cooled down a bit.

We have plants here that are cold hardy down to about 20 degrees ground tempeture. But if you have prolonged air temps below 20 it can bring the ground tempeture down & wipe them out and we have to replant them.

My favorite is the Morning Glory Vine. But it is tropical and requires a ground tempeture of 55 degrees, the same as beans. So I have a ways to go before I can hope for them to grow. But once they start to grow, they go like crazy. I can get up to 2000 flowers going and any given time.

Wow, here I am starting to think about gardening. Maybe it is time for me to drift over to the gardening forum. But as much as they love their plants, they don't talk much about science there.

Upvote 0

Late_Cretaceous

<font color="#880000" ></font&g
Apr 4, 2002
Visit site
✟18,025.00
Faith
Catholic
Global warming seems to be a highly charged and highly politicized issue. Climates do change, over the long run they are always in a state of change. Local weather, and even cycles like El Nino or droughts or sever winters can complicate the picture.

Upvote 0

Morat

Untitled One
Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
✟12,690.00
Faith
Atheist
DNAunion: Who cares...it's not like anyone in this forum is discussing science and using the scientifically correct definitions for terms....right Morat?!?! After all, if they were, nobody would say something as scientifically incorrect as the Earth revolves around its axis.
Predictable.

Upvote 0