Can you miss God's purpose for your life if you are born again?

PeterJames0510

Blessed more than I deserve
Jan 28, 2019
Lee
✟65,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've seen pastors over and over again describing about missing Gods purpose for your life but can you really miss out on it if it's already written? (See Psalm 139:16). Also if the Holy Spirit is guiding each and every step of your life and your life is already planned and preordained by God how can you miss it? Everytime you sin the Holy Spirit convicts you to apologize and try not to do it again. Everytime you make a bad decision in your life you recognize it as a bad decision, even our own salvation is predestined and chosen by God so how can a person who has the Holy Spirit and who's life is already recorded miss out on what God already decided their lives will be? Am I missing something?

Well, I've got good news for you. For all of our worrying about whether or not we are doing God's will, God is completely Sovereign.

Look at the brothers of Joseph. They totally messed up. They deliberately did things that God didn't like.

Yet we're told that even though it seemed like Joseph's brother did bad to Joseph, Joseph turns around and says it was God that sent him to Egypt.

Surely if we're seeking God's face and doing what we can to walk in the New Man, we need not fear failing Him.

Genesis 45:

4 And Joseph said unto his brethren, Come near to me, I pray you. And they came near. And he said, I am Joseph your brother, whom ye sold into Egypt.
5 Now therefore be not grieved, nor angry with yourselves, that ye sold me hither: for God did send me before you to preserve life.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've seen pastors over and over again describing about missing Gods purpose for your life but can you really miss out on it if it's already written? (See Psalm 139:16). Also if the Holy Spirit is guiding each and every step of your life and your life is already planned and preordained by God how can you miss it? Everytime you sin the Holy Spirit convicts you to apologize and try not to do it again. Everytime you make a bad decision in your life you recognize it as a bad decision, even our own salvation is predestined and chosen by God so how can a person who has the Holy Spirit and who's life is already recorded miss out on what God already decided their lives will be? Am I missing something?

Hi Neostarwcc,

I do believe that God has a plan for everyone of His children. However, I don't believe that plan is different for you and for another and then someone else. God's purpose for us is clearly described for every believer in the Scriptures.

The first is His will for everyone. That all should come to the knowledge of salvation through His Son, Jesus. That purpose for everyone is clearly stated by Paul:

This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

God's purpose for everyone is also brought forth in the law and then repeated by His Son. That we each individually love the Lord our God with all that we are. God commands that in both the law, and several dozen times throughout the Scriptures. The psalms are full of this command. At least a half dozen times in God's explaining the law in Deuteronomy we read "Love the LORD your God." I can't imagine anyone even halfheartedly reading through the Scriptures and not understanding that it is God's purpose for us, that we love Him. Jesus answered:

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’ ; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.”

Then there is the second part of Jesus' command to us above. Love others as ourselves. God wants us to strive to be just like He has shown us in His Son, to love others. Not to hate and disparage, but to love and build up. This is hard for most of us and requires work on our parts, but it can be done. It is what God asks of us. Again, the Scriptures give us a few such examples: If someone asks you to carry their burden one mile...carry it two. If someone asks for your cloak, do not refuse that person. The parable of the good Samaritan.

Now, some have said:
For sure you can. God has a plan and purpose for every believer,

In saying that they then go on to explain about jobs and hobbies, mates and so forth. Personally, I believe that if you just follow the practices and ideas that God's word tells us we should be seeking in just our everyday life, those choices regarding jobs and hobbies and recreation will just naturally fall in place.

I'm not one to believe that God has picked out a specific mate for each of us. I think that God has given us the guidelines we should use in seeking for a mate and knows that if we follow His guidelines, we will choose a mate that is pleasing to Him. I feel the same about jobs. If we set the commands of God in our hearts, then when it comes time to choose a job, hobby or recreation, it will be in keeping with God's desires for us.

Yes, when making such choices we can always ask God's understanding of what we're about to do, but I'm not so sure and convinced that God has picked out a specific job and mate for Timmy and Sally and Billy and Jane. He has just given us the outline that we should apply when making such choices and tells us that if we will follow that outline, then things will go well with our choices.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I agree with you. In fact, I'd say the concept we have of a path through life, where if you step off it, you have to return to the point at which you stepped off, is bunk. Whatever, whoever, however you are where you are, is where God meant for you to be --not meaning that he wants you to continue to do wrong, if you are doing wrong, but you did wrong for his purposes ("You indeed meant it for evil, but God meant it for good.")

Some people seem to think the Christian walk is figuring out God's plan for your life, and doing your part to accomplish it. Christ says, "without me you can do nothing". I don't think that is just hyperbole.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your answers and debates guys! I've already posted my debate and thoughts on the subject (See posts #9, 10 & 12 in case you haven't read them.)

To me, that trumps all argument that as followers of God we will always follow God's leading. And if we don't, than we aren't really Christians.

The Holy Spirits job is to lead God's Children through the path that God wants them to take. That's why nobody in the OT or NT failed in their mission to bring salvation to all.

If the apostles failed to spread God's word throughout the world, Christianity never would have existed. If Moses never freed the Isrealites from slavery salvation never would have existed, if Noah didn't build that arc WE wouldn't have existed. If Abraham never did every single thing that God told him to do, they never would have started the journey to the promised land. The list just goes on and on.

They all fit perfectly together. We are able to be saved today because of God's perfect plan. We are able to touch the hearts and to save all that God wants us to save, through God. Every single person who is alive that God foresaw would be saved, will be. All of God's chosen children. If we failed in our missions and those persons were not saved or if one single person went broke and didn't eat that God planned to feed, clothe, and provide money to than in the end than God's plan wasn't perfect.

Why do you think God was able to make several promises to save ALL of his children? Why do you think Paul said that "The good work that God began in you, will finish by the time you die and will be completed on the day of Christ?"

No, I just don't buy the alternate view. If we had complete free will than people would become lost. God said not ONE will be lost (See John 6:37-40).

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,451.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I really like your commentary about if this didn't happen then the results would be different. What I got from that is their obedience to God. Their obedience proves their love for God.

You said God said not ONE will be lost (See John 6:37-40).

I pray that's true that no one will be lost for we are His children, but John 6:40 states.
40 For this is the will of my Father, that every one that beholdeth the Son, and believeth on him, should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

I guess the answer lies in what time in someone's life can they behold the Son and believe in Him because Philippians 2:10-11 says,

10 "That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”

It's a mystery as to what that means since all of God's creation will confess and bow not just some.[/QUOTE]

It is actually not a great mystery. In the first century when a ruler went to battle and conquered an opposing nation, it was customary to have at least the commander of the opposing army, or even the entire army, prostrate themselves before the conqueror. Then they were usually slaughtered with a few specimens taken back as captives to be put on public display. None of the conquered enemy were saved in any sense of the word. Thus, at the end of the age, when Jesus Christ returns and conquers His enemies, they will prostrate themselves before Him, not because they are saved at all, but simply because He has conquered in the final battle against sin, death, and Satan.

Upvote 0