Can you lose your salvation??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
quote: "Once saved, always saved!". That kind of thinking leads to a life of unproductiveness,
------------------------------------------------------------------

Not so in my church. We have people waiting in long queues to get into church on Thu and Fri nights to hear about Jesus's love and 'see' him in the scriptures. 4 svcs of Suns with long queues. More than enough people 'fighting to serve' in the church etc. Care grps where new people are joining in every week, transformed lives, miracles etc.

BTW: Have you seen circus performers? When there's a safety net below them, it helps their performance. They have more confidence and a peace and a courage to go further. Even if the fall, they bounce up again, and try again until they are perfected. so its the same with OSAS.

People who think grace is a licence to sin are basically saying what Paul's critics said "Shall we sin that grace may abound?"

:D

Upvote 0
Dear Richard,

I am sorry I failed to communicate what I meant. I do not disbelieve your testimomy. I even called you brother. What i was saying was that the proof of your relationship with God is subjective, like mine, like Ben's and like all of ours is. And although sin and salvation is a personal matter in the sense you see it as, it is also a very corporate thing in that we are all a part of the body of Christ. We are to judge those in the church, one reason being in order to be able to affirm or deny fellowship. Affirm because we accept them as believers and give them the right hand of fellowship, or deny because we think as false professors or even false prophets, of whom we wouldn't want to share in their message. Another reason to judge those within the church is to either encourage them in their endeavors or to admonish them to turn from sin.

you said:
You have heard my testimony (and others who have given theirs), and give God all the glory for his mercy, kinds and longsuffering towards us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for those of us who trust him in all things.

The more you keep talking the more you both sound like you are in agrrement, in this area of "working out your own salvation".

If you want to put yourself under bondage to the keeping of the Law, you are perfectly, able and free to do so, afterall you are not my servants.

The faith God has given me, allows me the freedom to proclaim, his Grace that sets men free from the law, that the whole world believes that it is posible that by the keeping of the law they are able to earn their salvation.

I believe the promises of God and have accepted them by faith, and I KNOW I am free, from having to work to keep what I was never able to keep in the first place.

I agree with you whole heartily. I don't know what I said to make you think otherwise, but I have made errors in communication before here on this website as well as in others of life.

If one is under law, one must obey perfectly. If one is freed from the law, it has no power to condemn that one. If we are freed from the law, what we should do, or what we do we shouldn't do cannot condemn us. Those things are sin -anything not done by faith is sin. Those things are sin -anything done against the will of God.

Does this mean I advocate we can profess Christ, and do whatever we like? Yes and no. No, we can't expect to be heathen immoral pagans. But yes, we DO profess Christ and we DO whatever we like. To say we don't is to deny we have free will.

Those with the Spirit will be led by the Spirit and their lives will reflect that. Oh, not every second, nor maybe every day or week. But they will grow in grace and knowledge and in maturity [Christ-likeness].

If your [whoever reads this, a general statement] life is NOT growing and not reflecting His then you better do a heart search and determine what you really believe, For those that really believe [and not just 'head' knowledge] show that belief by their trust in God as demonstrated by what they do and WHY they do it.

Freedom isn't a license to sin. But sin we still do. But freedom is what we have. Why then shouldn't we sin? One because Jesus died for our sins and if we love Him we want to serve and please Him. Two, if you are comfortable sinning, then you are probably not being led by the Spirit and not His.

Richard, those last remarks were not directed at you, but at all who read them including myself.

He whom the Son sets free is free indeed!

in Him,
mike

Upvote 0
Dear Ben,

That was a good post.
I am sorry that I haven't always treated you in love. I still disagree strongly with you on this subject of OSAS/OSNAS, but I appreciate your attitude as shown by that last post.
I hope we can continue to have some dialogue, for i am sure He will leadyou into truth. (-:

in Him,
mike

Upvote 0

jrmorganjr

Paladin
Feb 16, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
✟15,752.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks, Prodigal & Ben, good reproach, good level set.

Group hug, everyone. :hug:

Now, back to our respective pulpits...

Just to sum up, before we explore our differences any further. You can be either OSAS or OSNAS and still be saved. Everyone agrees that Salvation by Works is false. The primary distinction is whether, once saved, Free Will can produce a work/belief that would negate being saved.

And onward.

In Christ, in Christian fellowship,

Upvote 0
Originally posted by mjwhite
Dear Richard,

I am sorry I failed to communicate what I meant. I do not disbelieve your testimomy. I even called you brother. What i was saying was that the proof of your relationship with God is subjective, like mine, like Ben's and like all of ours is. And although sin and salvation is a personal matter in the sense you see it as, it is also a very corporate thing in that we are all a part of the body of Christ. We are to judge those in the church, one reason being in order to be able to affirm or deny fellowship. Affirm because we accept them as believers and give them the right hand of fellowship, or deny because we think as false professors or even false prophets, of whom we wouldn't want to share in their message. Another reason to judge those within the church is to either encourage them in their endeavors or to admonish them to turn from sin.

you said:
You have heard my testimony (and others who have given theirs), and give God all the glory for his mercy, kinds and longsuffering towards us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for those of us who trust him in all things.

The more you keep talking the more you both sound like you are in agrrement, in this area of "working out your own salvation".

If you want to put yourself under bondage to the keeping of the Law, you are perfectly, able and free to do so, afterall you are not my servants.

The faith God has given me, allows me the freedom to proclaim, his Grace that sets men free from the law, that the whole world believes that it is posible that by the keeping of the law they are able to earn their salvation.

I believe the promises of God and have accepted them by faith, and I KNOW I am free, from having to work to keep what I was never able to keep in the first place.

I agree with you whole heartily. I don't know what I said to make you think otherwise, but I have made errors in communication before here on this website as well as in others of life.

If one is under law, one must obey perfectly. If one is freed from the law, it has no power to condemn that one. If we are freed from the law, what we should do, or what we do we shouldn't do cannot condemn us. Those things are sin -anything not done by faith is sin. Those things are sin -anything done against the will of God.

Does this mean I advocate we can profess Christ, and do whatever we like? Yes and no. No, we can't expect to be heathen immoral pagans. But yes, we DO profess Christ and we DO whatever we like. To say we don't is to deny we have free will.

Those with the Spirit will be led by the Spirit and their lives will reflect that. Oh, not every second, nor maybe every day or week. But they will grow in grace and knowledge and in maturity [Christ-likeness].

If your [whoever reads this, a general statement] life is NOT growing and not reflecting His then you better do a heart search and determine what you really believe, For those that really believe [and not just 'head' knowledge] show that belief by their trust in God as demonstrated by what they do and WHY they do it.

Freedom isn't a license to sin. But sin we still do. But freedom is what we have. Why then shouldn't we sin? One because Jesus died for our sins and if we love Him we want to serve and please Him. Two, if you are comfortable sinning, then you are probably not being led by the Spirit and not His.

Richard, those last remarks were not directed at you, but at all who read them including myself.

He whom the Son sets free is free indeed!

in Him,
mike

mj,

Please forgive my misunderstanding of the point you were putting forth.

and,

Thank you for your clarification, I was not able to grasp what you meant in your previous post.

I trust I haven't lead anyone to believe, that I was espousing, that; "because a person has the Spirit he has a license to sin willfully",

..may it never be. For anyone who would put forth this teaching is not only ignorant of the Word of God but, doesn't understand what he was saved from.

There is no reason for vain disputes; they only come because some inadvertanly open the door and allow mans teachings in, which are contrary to the Word and take root in their human understanding, and all because they fail to seek wisdom and understanding of Gods Word, by the Spirit of Truth.

We should take joy in being able to share Gods word freely, when many do not have such freedoms in the world.

It is good to discuss these things for ones own personal understanding, however, its the Spirit that confirms truth and rejects error.

This is a perfect place to share the word, with each other and then search the scriptures individually, to see if they are so, afterall, the purpose of the Spirit of God who dwells in ALL of Gods children is to teach and lead in ALL truth, and to call to remembrance ALL that Jesus himself taught.

Disagrrements come because some want to be teachers and, in their zeal to do so, study mans writings, rather than the ultimate source of the reason for their writings; the BIBLE.

If we can agree on anything it is He knows, and we don't.

But he has promised, that his people will be taught of GOD, himself; thats why He has given the promise of his SPIRIT

John 14
17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

1 John 4
6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

I, for one am willing to believe that, the Word above all else has preeminence, and is able to show the error in any one teaching of man , and am convinced that He desires that All who are called by His name should TRUST only in His Word and use it, that he might not only edify himself but others who desire the truth, afterall, He wants us to prove it by excersizing it, to discern good from evil.

Thats why he says;

Pov 3
5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Bless you,

Richard

Upvote 0

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
Hi, Jephunnah. Matt16:27 says, "for the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels; and will then recompense every man according to his deeds." Compare this with Rm2:6ff: "God will render to each man according to his deeds; to those who bey perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation."

Do we agree, that "the INHERITANCE", is eternal life? The GIFT, the INHERITANCE, the PROMISE (1Pet1:3-4, Heb10:36, Rom6:23)

What do you think of Col3:24: "Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men; knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance."

In this verse, what is the difference between "reward" and "inheritance"? Any?

:)

Upvote 0

Ioustinos

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
✟56,948.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally posted by Sandman777
I read about this in the other thread (a post by Psalm 22:3), and have always wondered about this. I have been a Christian for a few years now, but have backslidden a bit. Am I still saved? I worry about this a lot.

Yes. Once you receive salvation it cannot be taken from you. Read Romans Chapter 8 verses 30 and onward. If God has justified you, and Christ has died for you and makes intercession for you daily, then who or what can take away your salvation? If God was the one who gave it to you, can anyone else but God take it away? No. Rest assure God will not take away your salvation. Again read Romans 8 :)

Upvote 0

fieldsofwind

Oct 6, 2002
Visit site
✟9,595.00
Faith
Christian
John 10: 27-30... please read this!

Some are still binding themselves to the law... I realize that my sins are washed away once and for all because I have believed Him... His grace and mercy has set me free, and i have been made new... The Father has put his laws in my heart and has written them on my mind... and He says to me... my sins, He will remember NO MORE! 'and where these have been forgiven, there is no longer any sacrifice for sin' (Heb Ch 10:18) I now follow God's commands through grace, because He has me in His grip. (or chapter eight)

Read the sixth chapter of Hebrews... and more than that... listen to the voice of God.

It says that it is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again...

This either says.. 1) that it is impossible for a fallen 'once saved' person to repent again, or be saved again... thus being doomed
2) that it is impossible for someone who has been saved already to be brought back into repentance, or 'be saved again' because Christ's sacrifice completely washed him, when he believed... blessed are those who believe.

its got to be one of the two... so which is it??? I know...

I can give you verse after verse... why some are so infested with looking into the book, while at the same time refuse to listen to His voice.

I believe Him... He says nothing... can take you out of His hands... what does nothing mean???!!!

I believe... and I know my saviour ... it is impossible to take me away from Him...

This was an earlier post in another part of this site... seemed to fit in here too

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Fieldsofwind,

Good post, great post in fact.

So, if you believe one can lose salvation then you must also believe you can never get it back. Yep! So, if you read one thing wrong, you must read the other one wrong also.

If you are saved, you are saved forever, Amen!
Blessings to you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ben johnson

Legend
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2002
Oklahoma
Visit site
✟76,549.00
Faith
Christian
If God was the one who gave it to you, can anyone else but God take it away?
Did God give salvation to you? Or were you saved, when you received Christ?
1) that it is impossible for a fallen 'once saved' person to repent again, or be saved again... thus being doomed
2) that it is impossible for someone who has been saved already to be brought back into repentance, or 'be saved again' because Christ's sacrifice completely washed him, when he believed... blessed are those who believe.
What it really says, is:

"It is adunatos (powerless, unable) to restore them to repentance, WHILE they fall away." King James version says: "Seeing as", NIV says "BECAUSE", NAS says "SINCE"---and NAS footnotes it as, WHILE.

In every translation, the reason it is "adunatos-unable" to restore them to repentance, is because they don't WANT to. They crucify to themselves Christ anew, and hold Him in contempt (to public shame). This harmonizes perfectly with Heb10, esp vs 26.

In Romans 11, "And they, if they do not CONTINUE in their unbelief, will be grafted in again, for God is able to graft them in again". Just as in the parable of the Prodigal Son, the son returned---he was lost but was found, he was DEAD but is alive again. (Anyone wanna contend that one living in hedonism is still the father's SON, meaning allegorically STILL SAVED? ....not... ) Lk15

:)

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Did God give salvation to you? Or were you saved, when you received Christ?
"

God gave it to you. He is the enabler :) not you. Ben you shouldn't talk about romans at all because the WHOLE BOOK is about how you can't return God's gifts by your own actions (including salvation) that's why paul says Israel is still saved, and why we are like them in this in terms of salvation, we can't give it back. :)

Upvote 0

4thecross

Sep 17, 2002
Visit site
✟7,684.00
Faith
Christian
Hmmm. Jesus said a man can fall away after believing.

(Matthew 13:20-21) The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. (21) But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away.

Of course you can lose your salvation. Have we reduced God's Sovereignty to a measly little prayer? Jesus Himself said over and over again that repentence is a REQUIREMENT of salvation. If you don't repent, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. So when a person stops repenting, they become in great spiritual danger.

(Luke 13:3) ... But unless you repent, you too will all perish.

Much Grace,
Kevin

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Originally posted by Sandman777
I read about this in the other thread (a post by Psalm 22:3), and have always wondered about this. I have been a Christian for a few years now, but have backslidden a bit. Am I still saved? I worry about this a lot.

You can lose it Sandman. Thats why Jesus said to "persevere to the end", and why the scriptures say to "work out your salvation in fear and trembling."

Salvation is a process, not a singular event in time, which is the false belief so prevelant in non-Catholic Christian circles.

Remember not everyone who calls Jesus "Lord" is "saved", according to Jesus Himself.

Upvote 0

4thecross

Sep 17, 2002
Visit site
✟7,684.00
Faith
Christian
Greetings eldermike,

So does that mean when you plant a tree, it's not really planted until 3 years down the road when it finally gets a life-supporting root system?

You are twisting scripture. Jesus said he believed and fell away. When a person comes to the Lord, they have no root at all. Why do you think Jesus gave all the parables and analogies about trees?

Once again, he believed, then fell away.

In Christ,
Kevin

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Droobie,

I believe you can walk from fellowship, I believe you can allow sin to destroy your life here. But I had nothing to do with my salvation, in my opinion, and I wasn't given control of it after I recieved it.

Blessings

Upvote 0

4thecross

Sep 17, 2002
Visit site
✟7,684.00
Faith
Christian
Also,

(John 6:60-66 NIV) On hearing it, many of his disciples said, "This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?" (61) Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, "Does this offend you? (62) What if you see the Son of Man ascend to where he was before! (63) The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. (64) Yet there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. (65) He went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him." (66) From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him.

Jesus called the people His disciples. Was He lying?

They, too, fell away.

Much Grace,
Kevin

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.