CAN YOU LOSE YOUR SALVATION AND ETERNAL LIFE?

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
FreeGrace2 said:
John 10:28 sinks your boat. And v.27 is NOT a condition for receiving eternal life.
Actually no, it floats the boat. No one said John 10:27 is a condition of faith.
Nor did I. Most faith plus works guys claim v.27 is the condition for receiving eternal life. Which is basically what you have been claiming.

John 10:27 is a result of faith. I seem this is where your misunderstanding is.
Nonsense. Jesus was describing what His sheep (believers) DO, or SHOULD DO.

Are you familiar with a policy statement? Most businesses have them. They refer to behavior. Believers are expected to behave accordingly. So Jesus was explaining that about His sheep.

John 10:26-27 says [27], My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:[28], And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. How how do we get faith? "So then faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God" (Romans 10:17).
Let's just stick with 1 context, ok? No jumping around. Jesus didn't need Rom 10 to explain what He meant.

John 10:27 says God's sheep hear His Voice (the Word of God) then what happens? - Yep they follow it. Your mistake here is that following what Gods' Word says is not a condition for receiving eternal life it is the fruit of faith (believing God's Word). Do you not agree with this?
I totally disagree with any notion that faith RESULTS in behavior. Jesus proves that to be false in His parable of the soils. Luke 8:13.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
LoveGodsWord wrote: CONCLUSION: A scripture that sums up this topic very well Ezekiel 18:4 [4], Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: THE SOUL THAT SINS IT SHALL DIE.
Your response here.
Are you not aware that this verse refers to physical death? Context is helpful here. btw, aren't you aware that EVERY human being is BORN spiritaully dead already. So how would an act of sin cause spiritual death? Can you explain that?
Context here is very helpful and it does not support your claims that Ezekiel 18:4 is in reference to physical death. Perhaps you were tired when you wrote this section? There is nothing in the scripture context to Ezekiel 18:4-20 that says that this scripture is referring only to physical death. If you disagree, please provide the scriptures that indicate this. The scriptures are talking here about the wicked and the righteous. They are also saying that the would that turns away from sin will live. If you interpret this chapter as only physical death than your interpreting Ezekiel as saying those who obey God’s Word will not see physical death. How does that make any sense? It doesn’t.

Let’s look at the scriptures in the chapter that according to your interpretation of Ezekiel 18:4 means only physical death and examine the scripture and see if this claim is true or not true…

Ezekiel 18:4-9 4, Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die. 5, But if a man be just, and do that which is lawful and right, 6, And hath not eaten upon the mountains, neither hath lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel, neither hath defiled his neighbour's wife, neither hath come near to a menstruous woman, 7, And hath not oppressed any, but hath restored to the debtor his pledge, hath spoiled none by violence, hath given his bread to the hungry, and hath covered the naked with a garment; 8, He that hath not given forth upon usury, neither hath taken any increase, that hath withdrawn his hand from iniquity, hath executed true judgment between man and man, 9, Hath walked in my statutes, and hath kept my judgments, to deal truly; he is just, he shall surely live, saith the Lord GOD.

Ezekiel 18:10-13 10, If he beget a son that is a robber, 2 a shedder of blood, and that doeth the like to any one of these things, 11, And that doeth not any of those duties, but even hath eaten upon the mountains, and defiled his neighbour's wife, 12, Hath oppressed the poor and needy, hath spoiled by violence, hath not restored the pledge, and hath lifted up his eyes to the idols, hath committed abomination, 13, Hath given forth upon usury, and hath taken increase: shall he then live? he shall not live: he hath done all these abominations; he shall surely die; his blood shall be upon him.

Ezekiel 18:17 That hath taken off his hand from the poor, that hath not received usury nor increase, hath executed my judgments, hath walked in my statutes; he shall not die for the iniquity of his father, he shall surely live.

Ezekiel 18:19 Yet say ye, Why? doth not the son bear the iniquity of the father? When the son hath done that which is lawful and right, and hath kept all my statutes, and hath done them, he shall surely live.

Ezekiel 18:21-24 21, But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.

22 All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live. 23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live? 24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

Ezekiel 18:28 Because he considereth, and turneth away from all his transgressions that he hath committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die.

Ezekiel 18:32 For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.

…………….

CONCLUSION: The summary of the chapter and all context is that the soul that sins it shall die as shown in Ezekiel 18:4; 13; 17; 21; 28; repeated in 33:8-27 while those who turn away from sin shall live in Ezekiel 18:9; 13; 17; 19; 21; 22; 23; 24; 28; 32. You have caused a bit of a problem for yourself here. If you interpret these scriptures and Ezekiel 18:4 [4], Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: THE SOUL THAT SINS IT SHALL DIE as only referring to a physical death then all the scriptures provided for you in this chapter context which is Gods’ Word verbatim shows that the soul that turns from his sin "shall live". Obviously, everyone at this time period both the righteous and the wicked have already died so these scriptures cannot be referring to a physical death. You have created a problem for yourself here in trying to interpret Ezekiel 18:4 as only referring to physical death as God says the righteous shall live and not die which is a contradiction of your interpretation of the scriptures.

You were saying about context and cherry picking scripture? Can you see your mistake here?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Not really it did not drift off at all. Everything you are claiming here is not true and falls over in the next section of the post you have not yet responded to from Hebrews 6:4-8 which shows a believer can fall away and depart the faith to become an unbeliever rejecting God's Word
I already addressed the false notion that a believer can be an unbeliever. The proper word is apostate. The Bible only uses the word unbeliever for someone who has never believed. Once belief, the believer is saved, becomes a new creation, is born again, is justified, is indwelt with the Holy Spirit.

Now, if you can find ANY verse that undoes any of these things, please share. In the meantime, I won't agree with your error.

Once a believer, always saved.

Those who stay in this state of unrepentant sin according to the scriptures receive the same punishment as "unbelievers" whose end is to be burned (Hebrews 4:8; Hebrews 10:26-31). This disagrees with your claims here.

more to come...
I certainly disagree with your opinion. In Heb 4:8, what is burned isn't the ground, but the production that comes from the ground. And THAT DOES relate directly to 1 Cor 3:14,15, whether you think so or not.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Your response here...

I respectfully disagree but allow me to explain why. There is nothing in the context of these scriptures that is talking about animal sacrifice.
You should read some scholars, who study the history of the early church. They are familiar with the history of believing Jews having returned to animal sacrifice in order to not be persecuted.

I'm sorry if you are unaware of this history. But that's what the text is about.

The scriptures are talking about those who were once believers in the faith who it says were once enlightened by the Word of God, tasted of the heavenly gift and received Gods' Spirit through believing and following Gods' Word (Acts of the Apostles 5:32; Acts of the Apostles 2:38), tasted of the powers of the world to come and had fallen away from the faith to known unrepentant sin whose punishment now is to be burned suffering the same fate as the wicked unbelievers *2 Peter 3:7; Hebrews 10:26-27.

more to come...
No, it's not at all. You just don't know the history of the recipients of the epistle to the Hebrews.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well I do want to add here @LoveGodsWord

we do what god commands means what here regarding conditions ? To believe in the son is the condition
The apostle said to Jesus. Lord. Teach us to do the work of god. He said. To believe in the one whom god has sent.

it is as anti performance of an answer from Jesus as you can get regarding our performance adhering to gods word. Jesus makes it clear belief is enough

Why is belief enough. ? Because if we truly believe and have received Christ. We will have a desire to do his will in our lives. If we fail to perform his will but are seeking in our hearts to perform it. This is credited as righteous and if we do his will we get no particular credit.

Now anyway. So the adherence to his commands comes with tremendous grace for when we utterly fail. Am I helping. Or making sense ?

Hello Gary, James makes it clear that a belief that does not have the fruit of obedience to God's Word is the dead faith of devils in James 2:17-20; 26. Now do not understand me. My argument in this thread is along the lines of both faith alone at justification but faith leading to the fruit of obedience and holiness without no one shall see God as sanctification. As God gives us a knowledge of the truth of His Word as we grow in the knowledge of God's grace through his Word and are born again to walk in Gods Spirit he expects us to believe and follow what his word says. If we do not then we can depart the faith to become unbelievers because we are not longer believing and following what Gods' Word says. Does this make sense to you?

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Your response here…

There is no where in any of the scriptures you provide here that says someone that was once a believer that has fallen away to live in a life of known unrepentant sin while rejecting God's Word will be saved.
Not in your very narrowly worded requirement.

But when Jesus said that recipients of eternal life shall never perish, your challenge is covered and met.

Because we KNOW that eternal life is POSSESSED by those who believe, from John 5:24. So, once given eternal life, which is AT the MOMENT of saving faith, the recipient shall never perish.

Reactions: Gary987
Upvote 0

Gary987

Grace to Keep Pace
Jun 3, 2021
Boston
✟10,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello Gary, James makes it clear that a belief that does not have the fruit of obedience to God's Word is the dead faith of devils in James 2:17-20; 26. Now do not understand me. My argument in this thread is along the lines of both faith alone at justification but faith leading to the fruit of obedience and holiness without no one shall see God as sanctification. As God gives us a knowledge of the truth of His Word as we grow in the knowledge of God's grace through his Word and are born again to walk in Gods Spirit he expects us to believe and follow what his word says. If we do not then we can depart the faith to become unbelievers because we are not longer believing and following what Gods' Word says. Does this make sense to you?

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Your response here.

Context here is very helpful and it does not support your claims that Ezekiel 18:4 is in reference to physical death. Perhaps you were tired when you wrote this section? There is nothing in the scripture context to Ezekiel 18:4-20 that says that this scripture is referring only to physical death. If you disagree, please provide the scriptures that indicate this. The scriptures are talking here about the wicked and the righteous. They are also saying that the would that turns away from sin will live. If you interpret this chapter as only physical death than your interpreting Ezekiel as saying those who obey God’s Word will not see physical death. How does that make any sense? It doesn’t.

Let’s look at the scriptures in the chapter that according to your interpretation of Ezekiel 18:4 means only physical death and examine the scripture and see if this claim is true or not true…

Ezekiel 18:4-9 4, Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die. 5, But if a man be just, and do that which is lawful and right, 6, And hath not eaten upon the mountains, neither hath lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel, neither hath defiled his neighbour's wife, neither hath come near to a menstruous woman, 7, And hath not oppressed any, but hath restored to the debtor his pledge, hath spoiled none by violence, hath given his bread to the hungry, and hath covered the naked with a garment; 8, He that hath not given forth upon usury, neither hath taken any increase, that hath withdrawn his hand from iniquity, hath executed true judgment between man and man, 9, Hath walked in my statutes, and hath kept my judgments, to deal truly; he is just, he shall surely live, saith the Lord GOD.

Ezekiel 18:10-13 10, If he beget a son that is a robber, 2 a shedder of blood, and that doeth the like to any one of these things, 11, And that doeth not any of those duties, but even hath eaten upon the mountains, and defiled his neighbour's wife, 12, Hath oppressed the poor and needy, hath spoiled by violence, hath not restored the pledge, and hath lifted up his eyes to the idols, hath committed abomination, 13, Hath given forth upon usury, and hath taken increase: shall he then live? he shall not live: he hath done all these abominations; he shall surely die; his blood shall be upon him.

Ezekiel 18:17 That hath taken off his hand from the poor, that hath not received usury nor increase, hath executed my judgments, hath walked in my statutes; he shall not die for the iniquity of his father, he shall surely live.

Ezekiel 18:19 Yet say ye, Why? doth not the son bear the iniquity of the father? When the son hath done that which is lawful and right, and hath kept all my statutes, and hath done them, he shall surely live.

Ezekiel 18:21-24 21, But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.

22 All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live. 23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live? 24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

Ezekiel 18:28 Because he considereth, and turneth away from all his transgressions that he hath committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die.

Ezekiel 18:32 For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.

…………….

CONCLUSION: The summary of the chapter and all context is that the soul that sins it shall die as shown in Ezekiel 18:4; 13; 17; 21; 28; repeated in 33:8-27 while those who turn away from sin shall live in Ezekiel 18:9; 13; 17; 19; 21; 22; 23; 24; 28; 32. You have caused a bit of a problem for yourself here. If you interpret these scriptures and Ezekiel 18:4 [4], Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: THE SOUL THAT SINS IT SHALL DIE. As only referring to a physical all the scriptures provided for you in this chapter context Gods’ Word says verbatim that the soul that turns from his sin shall live. Obviously, everyone at this time period both the righteous and the wicked have already died so these scriptures cannot be referring to physical death. You have created a problem for yourself here in trying to interpret Ezekeil 18:4 as only referring to physical death as God says the righteous shall live and not die.

You were saying about context and cherry picking scripture? Can you see your mistake here?
Your posts are generally very long and very repetitive. And you have NOT provided ANY verse that says what you keep claiming.

And I HAVE provided a lengthy list of verses that show that salvation/eternal life is based on faith/believing, and nothing else mentioned.

If you can prove that "context" for any of those verses changes the clear meaning of the verses, then please proceed.

But I've already spent much more time than I should have. So I'm signing off while you frantically search for that best verse that says what you keep claiming.

You're going to need the time. Lots of it. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
IF the Bible says this, then PROVE it with a clear verse.
Look I have been reading along in what you have been posting to my responses to you FG2. All I see is much more of the same. Your not addressing the content of my posts but simply stating disagreement and providing opinions without biblical reasoning let me explain what I mean and why I am saying this...

For example even in the recent post today where you respond to my post from John 3:15-16; 36 John 10:27-28 and my use of Daniel Wallace's commentary to John 3 where I was discussing John #:15-16; 36; John 10:26-27 and other supporting scriptures from Johns epistles that shows that the use of the Greek word for "believe" is present tense active to continual belief, you post back commentary from Wallace that have nothing to do with these scriptures but references to other scriptures using the word believe that were completely not relevant to what I was posting to you.

These kind of posts are misleading and not relevant to the content you are responding to. You then ask me prove to you that eternal life is conditional on believing and following what Gods' Word says from the scriptures when I have already done so from scripture hand waiving away the scriptures shared with you pretending that I have not provided anything from the scriptures that prove eternal life is conditional on believing and following what God's Word says. All this time you have yet to show me a single scripture that says we can believe in God like the devils do (dead faith of James) with out following what Gods' Word says and still be saved.

I believe your mistake here is not understanding, the difference between unconditional justification and conditional sanctification and Christian growth through a knowledge of the Word of God that leads to a life of holiness as we believe and follow what Gods' Word says. This is where your mistake is in your interpretation of the scriptures.

You quote scriptures to do with unconditional justification and think that there is no process of conditional sanctification and Christian growth into holiness. Yet the scriptures teach without holiness no man shall see God. If I am being honest with you, I think your too busy trying to be right that you cannot see what is being shared with you that might be a blessing and a help to you. I only say this in love and pray that you might consider what is actually being shared with you here.

We should be careful not to ignore God's Word and rightly divide the Word of truth. Ignoring God's Word does not make it disappear as it will become our judge come judgment day for the words of God we accept or reject according to John 12:47-48.

I do not see any point in continuing a discussion with you if you are not reading and trying to understand what is being shared with you here. You do know that unconditional justification (e.g. thief on the cross; babe in Christ etc) is not the same as sanctification which is Christian growth leading to holiness which is conditional to believing and following what God's Word says right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gary987

Grace to Keep Pace
Jun 3, 2021
Boston
✟10,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Love gods word.

So James speaks about obedience to the word as being How to produce fruit. that’s my reading of it. Those who don’t over deceive themselves. What deception. That they are not saved is my reading of it. Knowing your saved produces fruit alone.

My fruit shows my faithjames says And he shuts out the worlds claim that. Don’t judge me. I believe in god. Etcetera.

I feel the biggest roadblock to understanding scripture on this subject is Paul’s words. He who makes it to the end.
But I even see Paul’s expression there being an assurance. Like. Look at you. Beaten and torn. But you didn’t quit. So this is evidence of his sealing of the Holy Spirit and your salvation. That your still trying to control the flesh by his spirit.

Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

Gary987

Grace to Keep Pace
Jun 3, 2021
Boston
✟10,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
IF the Bible says this, then PROVE it with a clear verse.
I think your being a bit abrasive. I respect your stance on being sure someone isn’t teaching a losable salvation. But a lot of times language is the issue and not our faith as Christians. Remember. Language is an issue with humans. When we all spoke the same language. God stopped that. Why. Because of sin. We can’t understand each other at all. Imagine if we all spoke the same language. We’d give up on humanity fast seeing our inability to honor our speech

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Love gods word.

So James speaks about obedience to the word as being How to produce fruit. that’s my reading of it. Those who don’t over deceive themselves. What deception. That they are not saved is my reading of it. Knowing your saved produces fruit alone.

My fruit shows my faithjames says And he shuts out the worlds claim that. Don’t judge me. I believe in god. Etcetera.

I feel the biggest roadblock to understanding scripture on this subject is Paul’s words. He who makes it to the end.
But I even see Paul’s expression there being an assurance. Like. Look at you. Beaten and torn. But you didn’t quit. So this is evidence of his sealing of the Holy Spirit and your salvation. That your still trying to control the flesh by his spirit.
Absolutely Gary, obedience is not how we are saved it is the fruit of being saved by God's grace through our faith in God's Word. If our faith does not have the fruit of believing and following what Gods' Word says it is a dead faith and the same faith that the devils have. James is talking here not of unconditional justification that we all have the very moment we believe and accept Jesus as our personal Lord and Savior but the process of Christian growth and holiness (Sanctification) which is conditional to believing and following what Gods' Word says and the work of a lifetime only achieved by believing and following what Gods' Word says. This is also God's work in us as we believe his Word *Philippians 1:6; Philippians 2:13

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gary987

Grace to Keep Pace
Jun 3, 2021
Boston
✟10,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely Gary, obedience is not how we are saved it is the fruit of being saved by God's grace through our faith in God's Word. If our faith does not have the fruit of believing and following what Gods' Word says it is a dead faith and the same faith that the devils have. James is talking here not of unconditional justification that we all have the very moment we accept Jesus as our personal Lord and Savior but the process of Christian growth and holiness (Sanctification) which is conditional to believing and following what Gods' Word says.
so it’s safe to say we are pretty close to saying the same thing here. I simply will fight like an ox against losable salvation teachers. It almost sent me to spiritual suicide believing I lost my salvation once It took Jesus about 1 year of ministering to me to heal those wounds

• Friendly
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
so it’s safe to say we are pretty close to saying the same thing here. I simply will fight like an ox against losable salvation teachers. It almost sent me to spiritual suicide believing I lost my salvation once It took Jesus about 1 year of ministering to me to heal those wounds
No one that continues believing and following Gods' Word to the end will lose God's promise of eternal life. These are Gods' people and all of God's promises are there for the asking.

God bless Gary, I have to go out for now nice to talk to you. :wave:

• Friendly
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No. It does not state something else. Hebrews 4:6-8 is talking about falling away and departing the faith to renew oneself to repentance. Another words they have returned to a life of known unrepentant sin after being given a knowledge of the truth of God's Word.
Repentance means to change direction, to turn around. To change direction and face Jesus. To turn from the law and turn to Jesus.
Jesus was crucified for the sins of the world do you agree?
The perfect sacrifice.
Sin is the transgression of the law
For a Jew that is true, the Jews in the time of Jesus were raised under the law. Gentiles on the other hand, did not know the law. Therefore, sin for a Gentile has a different definition. Sin for a Gentile would be everything that is not of faith.
and not believing and following God's Word for which Jesus died, do you agree?
I don't agree with your emphasis on the law. I am a Gentile that was never a member of that former covenant between God and Israel. Hence the book of the law has little value for a Gentile.
All unrepentant sin leads to death in those who reject the gift of God's dear son and count the blood of the covenant an unholy thing doing despite to the Spirit of God's grace *Romans 6:23; Ezekiel 18:4; Hebrews 10:26-27. The only sin that does not lead to death are sins that are forgiven. Unrepentant sin is not forgiven *Hebrews 10:26-27. Now what is it here that you do not believe?
What I don't believe is that the power of sin and death is still applicable to Christians.

Romans 8:2
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.

See LGW, you have been set free from sin and death.

You teach that to transgress the law is death.

But Christians have been liberated from the law of sin and death, set free from the penalty of sin.

Upvote 0

Gary987

Grace to Keep Pace
Jun 3, 2021
Boston
✟10,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Repentance means to change direction, to turn around. To change direction and face Jesus. To turn from the law and turn to Jesus.The perfect sacrifice. For a Jew that is true, the Jews in the time of Jesus were raised under the law. Gentiles on the other hand, did not know the law. Therefore, sin for a Gentile has a different definition. Sin for a Gentile would be everything that is not of faith.I don't agree with your emphasis on the law. I am a Gentile that was never a member of that former covenant between God and Israel. Hence the book of the law has little value for a Gentile. What I don't believe is that the power of sin and death is still applicable to Christians.

Romans 8:2
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.

See LGW, you have been set free from sin and death.

You teach that to transgress the law is death.

But Christians have been liberated from the law of sin and death, set free from the penalty of sin.
Well said. The desire to bring back the law and apply it to Christians dates back to the book of acts

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Of course. Because I believe what Jesus said in John 10:28.

God remembers sin until there is confession of those sins. 1 John 1:9
Better hope you can remember every sin you have ever committed and every sinful thought. If you cannot remember every sinful thought and act, then you are an unrepentant sinner.

I thought Jesus was the perfect sacrifice for our sin?

Is my salvation based on the power of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, or my ability to repent from sin?

• Winner
Reactions: Guojing
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,641.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He'll go to heaven with having unconfessed sins on his record.

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have
fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son,
purifies us from all sin.

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the
truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and
just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all
unrighteousness.
1 John 1:7-9​

We are to confess our sins directly to God. Not to some priest... Its between us and God.

Confessed sins gets us under the control of the Spirit so we can walk in God's grace for our lives. Believing in Jesus is what saves us. Confessing our sins when we recognize them keeps us walking in the Spirit as to be enabled by God to fulfill the works God has uniquely given us to do. Salvation, and works to be done after saved, are not one and the same. One can not confess his sins and still will go to heaven. Rewards will be lost in that case, but not his salvation.

It says so here. You can be the biggest loser as a believer, and you still will be saved.

For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. If any one’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire." 1 Cor 3:11-15

The one who did all things wrong after he was saved (wood, hay,straw) will lose his eternal rewards, but he himself will be saved like a man escaping from a burning house!

Note:

Gold, silver, and precious stones do not get destroyed in the fire. Instead, they are melted down to form that believer's crown! :angel:

grace and peace .......

Yes, you can find OSAS in Romans to Philemon, I agree with you there.

Upvote 0